Why become a member? ×

If this is the Holy Trinity, am I in Heaven now?

Ander87

So... some of you fine folk may remember how some 2 months ago I went on a rampage to sell my stingrays - simply too much money on gear when I had to recover from windows we replaced at home, and a bathroom renovation...!

... Resolved to sell the 'rays with pain in my heart, replaced by American Original series Fenders, P and J - how great are these basses? I was thoroughly impressed and managed to cash in a grand to ease things on the bank account. Being back in this forum (9 months hiatus to stop selling and buying!) I let my hair off and replaced my rig without much investment... Ashdown ABM 600 head and a mighty Barefaced Six10 - from an Eich T900 and a Big Baby 2.

Fast forward the bathroom is done, the windows are paid and I had sold a couple watches so I had more than I needed and then I saw this Ray Special... In the Cruz Teal that only came out on the first series and that I so dearly love...! Out of what I wanted to spend, but received an offer on eBay and then I started to consider... I messaged the owner and he was happy to let it go at the last offer minus fees, pretty much the same price as you see on the regular MM Stingrays these days so I had to pull the trigger.

Some crazy 6-7 hours to remind me why I hate driving to Manchester and 320 miles later I got home, set him up, waxed the neck, hydrated the board... et voila...

image.thumb.png.479d1e6960a6bda7361eb25359989626.png

Very, very ambivalent collection right here, Jesus even if it's only been a couple months I missed the stingray tone! Don't get me wrong, the passive Fenders are just brilliant and plan to keep using it... but there you go, a story that started sour selling my most beloved basses managed to come back even better than it started - to happy endings!

image.thumb.png.a1c5e2ecaaccfd5ea52b08a890ee2de1.png

Ander.

Edited by Ander87
  • Like 29

Ah, thanks gents! 

David, it may be a slippery slope if you look into the stingrays haha! Specially the last Special iteration, slimmer neck but P bass width...!

And cheers Lozz, knowing what I play I don't think I can beat it as is...!

Ander.

Just now, Ander87 said:

Thanks gents! Very happy with the three of them...

I'm now debating whether I shall switch up some of the tunings, it wouldn't be crazy to put the P on BEAD  or something, or a Drop C along the way... Oh well!

Ander.

I think it's the law

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, miles'tone said:

I think it's the law

Haha! I like to have more than one bass in standard so that I can take them to studio for my band... setting and resetting again every time I go to the studio could be well annoying...!

One bass for each band and another as backup.... the P could do BEAD for my neosoul bits, the standard for the punk rock thing and stingray drop C could work for some metal or something... we shall see!

Ander.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Haha! I like to have more than one bass in standard so that I can take them to studio for my band... setting and resetting again every time I go to the studio could be well annoying...!

One bass for each band and another as backup.... the P could do BEAD for my neosoul bits, the standard for the punk rock thing and stingray drop C could work for some metal or something... we shall see!

Ander.

I used to have a '62P reissue tuned BEAD... Sounded bad. Bad as in goooood! Miss it actually...

• Like 1

Ah thank you @Ralf1e! I thought I’d never rejoin again with a Cruz Teal… and we’ll my rig is admittedly more varied than with an SR Special 4 & 5…!

Entertaining tunings now haha could keep the jazz on standard, standard with detuner to drop D on the p bass, D standard with detuner to Drop C for the Stingray… that’d cover both my project with two basses each and leave me room to pretend to play metal if need be 🤣, or have ‘almost a 5er’ when doing Drop C…

… so much room for activities! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I must admit, that's a mighty fine trio.

I'm a P bass man (albeit Mustang mainly these days) but if you need to cover everything, a Jazz and a Stingray alongside a P does it in spades.

I've never actually had all 3 at the same time but I have considered adding a stingray p/up and associated electronics to my F/less P bass (and maybe a fretted neck too)

Perhaps it's time for a bitsa Jazz (although I do hanker for a Betsy Bass)

Ah @Ralf1e, yes, I will be doing Hipshot detuner on the P bass to do Drop D if necessary (there's always the odd tune) and the Stingray on D Standard along with a detuner to get to Drop C - that should make me not want a 5er, at least for longer (was also considering BEAD, we'll see, there's this band I'm listening to a lot that does Drop C and may well want to stay there).

@police squad yes, same! 80% of the basses in the last 2 years have been either stingrays or precisions, so this jazz is a nice great addition - somehow never managed to have a P and a Ray at the same time either, guess I've been too black or white, all P's or all Rays...!

@lidl e have never tried a Rickenbacker and they're popping up more often than ever, but the missus and I agreed that I should stick to 'just' 3 hangers on the wall considering all the other bits I've got at the moment (including a potential baby and a motorcycle, ha!)... Ah, a nice jetglo would look grand on stage though aye? Not so sure about the neck width and tales I've heard about playability though...! Always have interpreted the Ric as a power jazz... but then again I'd define the Ray as a power jazz with the P thickness so I'll just say (or want to believe) I'm covered!

Best,

Ander.

• Like 2