Why become a member? ×

Psychology behind collecting instruments

SH73

6 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Are you sure that's an actual collection and not the Backlund guitars showroom?

2 minutes ago, msb said:

I’m sure that is the manufacturer’s showroom. 

Maybe it's the showroom then.

But the point still stands that a collection of guitars/basses is of far more interest to me than a new car or a collection of money. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

At the end of the day, when you're on your last legs and not long for this world, possessions won't mean much at all, memories and experiences will.

Except that they won't; they're long forgotten. How do I know..? Hmm...

Have the visitors been..? Where's my slippers..? :$

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Maude said:

The odd thing to me is that society sees spending £30k on an exceptionally speedily depreciating car as the norm, but spending £30k on something like a bass collection as a 'problem'. 

A car is a tool. As its worth depreciates, the money you have made from using it increases. I'd hazard a guess that someone buying a £30k car new, is earning far more than £30k a year. 

So after 1 year, the car has paid for itself. 

£30k worth of basses, I think most people here would struggle to earn £3k a year from using a bass guitar. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TimR said:

A car is a tool. As its worth depreciates, the money you have made from using it increases. I'd hazard a guess that someone buying a £30k car new, is earning far more than £30k a year. 

£30k worth of basses, I think most people here would struggle to earn £3k a year from using a bass guitar. 

Hmm... my £800 car is three years with me. That means I'm £89,200 in profit!

No wonder economists are the biggest risk to the future of this planet...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, TimR said:

Are you OK, Tim..? Are you sure..? A lie-down, maybe..? :/

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Indeed it does.

But how much have you spent on it in 3 years and how reliable is it? And if it breaks down and you miss an important meeting? I do 30-40k miles a year, an £800 car wouldn't manage that.

Ultimately it is a tool, just like a bass is a tool. If you're attaching sentimentality to an object, then that's the problem. Whether it's a car or a bass. Especially if you're buying them serially and are not able to let go of them. 

56 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I was given my van for free, but it is insured for £840. So who's a winner now??

I am, obviously. :i-m_so_happy:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, TimR said:

Indeed it does.

But how much have you spent on it in 3 years and how reliable is it? And if it breaks down and you miss an important meeting? I do 30-40k miles a year, an £800 car wouldn't manage that.

Ultimately it is a tool, just like a bass is a tool. If you're attaching sentimentality to an object, then that's the problem. Whether it's a car or a bass. Especially if you're buying them serially and are not able to let go of them. 

Approximately £1,000 for two MOTs, parts (brake disks, bulbs, egr valve, battery, servicing and tyres).

<edit> you ask about reliability... I had a battery fail after leaving lights on and letting it go flat in sub zero conditions.

I don't do the mileage I used to, but I used to do 20k a year in cars with higher mileage. Most cars reach 180 - 200k before becoming unreliable or losing performance. I've done multiple 400-600 mile round trips without a hitch, at 58mpg over last 7,000 miles.

I have never been sentimental about a car. They are indeed tools for moving around in although some are more pleasant than others. Buying new is irrational. I buy cheap and drive them until they are no longer cost effective to maintain. I fell lucky getting an almost immaculate medium mileage car for 800 as it was  p/x disposal when the bottom fell out of the s/h market with covid reducing demand and the mot amnesty reducing it further. Normally I would consider paying twice that for a car.

Edited by Stub Mandrel

3 hours ago, TimR said:

Not sure I follow that. Are you arguing that the car is responsible for earning your entire yearly income? Might be true if you are mini-cabbing, but apart from that, I don't see how.

I've earned more, often much more, than £3k a year - which is less than £60 a week - from playing the bass for most of the last 30 years. I haven't been doing anything involving fame/high profile. Just playing in function bands and similar. It hasn't even been my main source of income, either. I had a full time day job.

3 hours ago, TimR said:

You studied economics where 😀

24 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Not sure I follow that. Are you arguing that the car is responsible for earning your entire yearly income? Might be true if you are mini-cabbing, but apart from that, I don't see how.

I've earned more, often much more, than £3k a year - which is less than £60 a week - from playing the bass for most of the last 30 years. I haven't been doing anything involving fame/high profile. Just playing in function bands and similar. It hasn't even been my main source of income, either. I had a full time day job.

Yes. But not £30k a year. As you say £3k a year is £60 a week, every week. And that's just for £3k worth of basses.

Edited by TimR

2 hours ago, Maude said:

Sometimes you speak complete sense @TimR, but this time I'm afraid it's utter tosh.

If what you've written applies to you then that's fair enough but not one bit of your sweeping statements relate to my life at all.

Do you have a £30k car? If not, then I agree, it doesn't apply to you....

On 14/12/2022 at 15:59, TimR said:

I seemed to have a collection of spades in my shed. Having several spades is always a good idea. In the summer I had a good clear out and decided to get rid of the excess spades. It snowed on Monday. Mrs R took the remaining spade with her in her car. I couldn't get my car out of the drive...

At least one of those spades would have come in handy. Had to borrow one from the neighbour. Wonder how many spades there are in our street. Not many judging by I seemed to be the only one clearing any snow.

The problem is, it's a delicate balance, many is the time I've regretted throwing something away (I can always buy another one if I really need one) only to spend hours scouring the Internet or local shops for it's replacement.

Then there's the 3 rubber mallets I have in the garage, because of the times I've not been able to find the other one. 

I know where the rubber mallets will be. Somewhere safe where you can never find them with the rawl plugs and the fuse wire 🤣

• Like 1

On 14/12/2022 at 15:59, TimR said:

I seemed to have a collection of spades in my shed. Having several spades is always a good idea. In the summer I had a good clear out and decided to get rid of the excess spades. It snowed on Monday. Mrs R took the remaining spade with her in her car. I couldn't get my car out of the drive...

At least one of those spades would have come in handy. Had to borrow one from the neighbour. Wonder how many spades there are in our street. Not many judging by I seemed to be the only one clearing any snow.

The problem is, it's a delicate balance, many is the time I've regretted throwing something away (I can always buy another one if I really need one) only to spend hours scouring the Internet or local shops for it's replacement.

Then there's the 3 rubber mallets I have in the garage, because of the times I've not been able to find the other one. 

Thanks for sharing TimR  ..........  most enlightening

30 minutes ago, TimR said:

Do you have a £30k car? If not, then I agree, it doesn't apply to you....

14 hours ago, Maude said:

Being in the car trade my whole life has left me bored with them, I buy a car for about £1500, keep it until it's not worth repairing and scrap it, typically around 6 or 7 years, so let's say £225 per year, where lots/most pay that per month for theirs. 

The above is from the same post of mine that you originally extracted my quote from. 

I've said what I do and for some reason you've tried to either say it's wrong, doesn't work, or something, I'm really not sure what your point is. 

Until I changed jobs last year I was doing 25k miles per year for decades in cheap, older cars with no problems, certainly no more than newer cars and it's usually far cheaper to fix any niggles than a newer car. 

The other stress free part of running an older, less valuable car is that if something expensive goes wrong, say a £2000 fix, then I can simply weigh it in and buy something else, if I had a £15,000 car then I would have to pay out and fix it. 

You cannot argue this as it is what I do, and have done for years. 

I also have no clue where this idea that a car or bass does, or should, earn you an income came from. 

For what it's worth my daughter does own a £30k car but she doesn't earn £30k a year. It doesn't earn her money other than allowing her to commute to work, which she did quite happily, safely and without any problems for three years in her previous car which cost £1300.

A lot of youngsters whose dream of getting on the property ladder is unrealistic have resolved to buying what society deems the next indicator of success, an expensive car. Their thought process is if I can't afford a house I'll spend £500/600 a month on a car. 

Whether or not you think this is right it is happening. 

• Like 6

We should all thank Mr TimR for once again succesfully ruining what was a fun thread.

Is this thread about the mildly amusing subject of the evils of bass guitar collection?

No it isn't.....Not any more .... and who changed that....

It has now become an argument about cars?

But that is what our friend does.... spoils stuff...because he can....because we let him...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, blisters on my fingers said:

We should all thank Mr TimR for once again succesfully ruining what was a fun thread.

Is this thread about the mildly amusing subject of the evils of bass guitar collection?

No it isn't.....Not any more .... and who changed that....

It has now become an argument about cars?

But that is what our friend does.... spoils stuff...because he can....because we let him...

Well let’s just get back on topic then shall we 👍

I had a girlfriend 20 years ago who’d spend Saturday shopping with her friends, often buying clothes she couldn’t afford, and Sunday on her taking those clothes back. It seemed a morally bankrupt way of doing things to me, pretending she had money she didn’t, but she was quite content about it saying she just liked the buzz of the buy but not the keep. Doesn’t seem so bad now? 

• Like 2