Why become a member? ×

Between the JB and P Bass, Preference?

ChWillie

9 hours ago, Jonesy said:

You could just buy a 5 string if you want a versatile thumb rest.

'tis true that's how a lot if them end up... A ramp is a different thing though, it's a buffer to stop the fingers over-travelling and digging in too much, equal recovery distance every time. I rarely anchor on a pickup, I play over it, the thumb is usually muting.

Reasons I prefer a Precision -

They sound just ‘right’ in most group environments.

They rarely get interference from the split coil pickup.

The body shape means they are easy to put on a stand.

Simplicity is a large part of their appeal - one vol / one tone control.

Still one of the coolest basses ever.

Reasons I have a Jazz -

Slimmer neck gives an alternative / at times easier feel for some gigs.

Two pickups allow for more variety of sounds if required.

Reasons I use a Precision Lyte PJ for my main gigs -

Weight, or rather the lack of it.

Variety of sound - although with the blend control set flat the P pickup

generally dominates the mix, it’s  nice to add a bit of J pickup occasionally

for some songs where a bit of ‘honk’ is needed.

• Like 4

I've had Fender Jazz basses and ran a '79 Precision bass for too long.

Overall preference would be the Jazz.  Tend to prefer two pickup basses with everything on 10, so the Jazz just gave a little more rumble and ponk out of the case.

I have a 70s Aria Primary/Precision; ultimately it does what a Fender would do except it has Aria on the headstock.  I'd describe it as 'gnarly' from a tone perspective.  It's definitely a keeper. 

• Like 1

I find something appealing about the simplicity of a Precision, it is difficult to get a bad sound out of them. They have been used on so much recorded music that they almost seem to just be the default sound of a bass - I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not. I like the shape of the body on them too. Some can have necks that are a bit too chunky for me but it seems that lots don't (the Japanese ones and the Player series seem to pretty much be the same as Jazz necks). I'm doing a home build Precison with a Jazz neck.

I do like Jazz basses sound for the neck pickup and plucking by the neck for Reggae/Dub though, so in-fact at the risk of ruining the simplicity of a P perhaps I'd like a weird PJ with the Jazz neck pickup. That doesn't seem to be a done thing so I suppose it doesn't work, I might give it a go if I feel ambitious with my build though - something like this (just a cut and paste I did, not a real bass).

image.png.327bdf3cf7f010704af4ac7ee4793833.png

......I assume it'd be good for Reggae by playing by the neck to produce a lot of low-end from the neck pickup mixed with the P bass pickup to add low-mids and growl. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 2

If its a gig in a larger venue or one where the backline is provided I'll always take the P-Bass as I know the tone will fill up bigger rooms easier and with provided backline, there is less fiddling about to get a useable sound with a P-Bass. I like using a Jazz with my own backline though, probably because I use the Jazz more at home and at rehearshal. I have learned over the years to rotate between them for gigging to minimize wear and tear, and either instrument works well in a band setting. The P-Bass just nudges ahead slightly for overall giggability. Never been a fan of PJ basses and although I did own one for a short time, I just couldn't get to grips with the range of tones it made. 

• Like 1

I gigged for a while with a P and with a J, although I no longer possess either. But picking between just those, I would say that I found the J a better all round  gigging bass for a variety of music  unless I was exclusively playing late 70s / early 80s punk / pop stuff, where I found the P worked better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

I do like Jazz basses sound for the neck pickup and plucking by the neck for Reggae/Dub though, so in-fact at the risk of ruining the simplicity of a P perhaps I'd like a weird PJ with the Jazz neck pickup. That doesn't seem to be a done thing so I suppose it doesn't work, I might give it a go if I feel ambitious with my build though - something like this (just a cut and paste I did, not a real bass).

The fender urge had those two pickups (and the other Jazz one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I gigged for a while with a P and with a J, although I no longer possess either. But picking between just those, I would say that I found the J a better all round  gigging bass for a variety of music  unless I was exclusively playing late 70s / early 80s punk / pop stuff, where I found the P worked better.

That’s my thoughts too. I’m a confirmed Precision player but if I were asked to stand in on a gig/recording session for a band outside of my preferred punk/Oi I think I would take along my Jazz. 

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

Started with a P. Didn't really gel with it. Had a J. Even though it was nice,  it lacked "clout". Had a Yamaha Attitude, but you need 2 amps or FX capable of parallel-processing both pickups' outputs.

Bought a G&L SB-2 Tribute on here. 

It's great. Dial in a tone and leave it alone for the night. 

I like the down- sized body, too. Less cumbersome than the Fender items. 

• Like 2

I prefer the P bass traditionally - love a jazz neck though, and that zing pierces through the mix great, but precision as a foundation for me.

Having said that... A stingray can be set as a P and a J in any case, or a hybrid on steroids! If I had to choose, 1st Stingray, 2nd Precision, 3rd Jazz.

Ander.

• Like 1

Often I'll hear a jazz bass, particularly on their own or when featured on a review, and really like that sound. 

But whenever I play a jazz bass in front of an amp myself, I just feel like I'm missing something - it always just sounds like it's missing the oomph, so I've always gravitated towards Ps. 

• Like 3