Why become a member? ×

New Metallica

Cosmo Valdemar

13 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Youthanasia and Cryptic Writings are soft as warm butter. 

Really? Oh… I don’t know anymore! I really like those two albums.

I used to keep all my metal albums sorted by genre, but now I just keep it all under “Metal”. No more “Is that symphonic, blackened death metal, or is it blackened, melodic death metal?”.

If it gets too soft it goes into “Rock”.

Nothing wrong with liking either of them, just they're very deliberate efforts at trying to get radio play. Two albums full of melodic mid-tempo rock, intentionally inoffensive lyrics with big, singalong choruses. They're soft, so very soft. Mustaine tried to blame it all on Dann Huff a few years later 😂

29 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Nothing wrong with liking either of them, just they're very deliberate efforts at trying to get radio play. Two albums full of melodic mid-tempo rock, intentionally inoffensive lyrics with big, singalong choruses. They're soft, so very soft. Mustaine tried to blame it all on Dann Huff a few years later 😂

I stopped listening to anything that man says after seeing his interview with Alex Jones. I don’t normally bother myself with what musicians think/believe/say, but sometimes you can’t avoid it, and he is particularly loathesome. I swore to never buy anything Megadeth after that. The only other musician I have sworn to boycott is Blackie Lawless. There are plenty of tossers about, and no doubt I listen to stuff by some of them, but there’s a mark that is a step too far.

• Like 2

I don't have much invested in Metallica - I bought MOP and the Black album (both great) and unfortunately someone gave me Death Magnetic as a present (awful) - and I have no interest at all in what passes for 'metal' these days, so I can perhaps give a more balanced view. 

The new track sounds OK, better than anything I've heard from them for many years (not that I take a lot of interest). Yes, it does sound a bit like a better produced Diamond Head (from what I an remember of them), but it's not bad at all... 

I've listened to it a few times now.

Yes - there's a definite Diamond head tribute going on, but with a very motorhead influenced rhythm.

James' vocal was challenging on the first listen, but I'm actually hoping the rest of the album has this slightly more NWOBHM/ early thrashy feel. 

I think that because Metallica have had success with different groups of fans over the years (setting the standard for a lot of thrash/ radio metal/ accessible rock ), there will always be divisive opinions. 

I'm totally prepared to give the album a chance when it's released in the hope that a) there's not loads of filler involved, and b) it's not half assed and crap lol 

42 minutes ago, KingBollock said:

I stopped listening to anything that man says after seeing his interview with Alex Jones. I don’t normally bother myself with what musicians think/believe/say, but sometimes you can’t avoid it, and he is particularly loathesome. I swore to never buy anything Megadeth after that. The only other musician I have sworn to boycott is Blackie Lawless. There are plenty of tossers about, and no doubt I listen to stuff by some of them, but there’s a mark that is a step too far.

Mustaine is a bone-fide drooling loony - conspiracy theorist, bible-basher, bitter ex-member of a band that went on to be huge, and former drug addict and alcoholic, all rolled into one angry old ginger. The fact that he went on Alex Jones' show should be reason enough to avoid anything he says or does. 

A lot of "tr00" Metallica fans draw the line at anything that came after And Justice... - for Megadeth fans, it's everything that came after Rust In Peace. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KingBollock said:

There's a bunch of bands and musicians I no longer listen to because of their beliefs and positions on various things. Various metal bands who have espoused racist or fascist beliefs, The Who, anything involving Morrissey, and, most recently, Iron Maiden, due to Dickinson's support of Brexit.

I've loathed Mustaine for years, and, as far as US artists go, Kid Rock and Ted Nugent can both go and fornicate themselves. 

• Like 2