Why become a member? ×

Do I need a pre-amp?

mortware

Also, check your cables, input and output sockets on pedals, power supply to pedals - check everything from the bass onwards in your signal chain.

P.S. the EQ section on that amp is a Fender style tone stack, I seem to recall that the mids are 'cut only' - meaning when the mid knob is up at full, then you're not boosting any frequencies, merely not removing any.

I think 'flat' was Bass at 10 o'clock, Mids on full, and treble at 10 o'clock.

A very loud drummer and a a 500 watt amp going into a small 8 ohm 210. . . . there's your problem right there.

Is the 410 8 ohms? If so that's the same problem. At the very least you need 2 cabs that match and an amp running at 4 ohms.

If your drummer is that loud you'd be better off with an 800 watt amp and a quality 212, 215 or even a 610. And make sure you're wearing serious hearing protection.

Sorry to be a boring b*stard, but again from the Aguilar TH500 manual.....

"Power Output: 500 watts into 4 ohms, 250 watts into 8 ohms"

I own one of these amps and It is LOUD.

Used it with a 2 x 12  4ohm cab 

1 x 12   8ohm cab

2   1 x 12  8ohm cabs linked up together

and a 4 x 10 4ohm cab

The only combination of any of those speakers and amp, that might have struggled with a loud drummer, was the single 1x12 8ohm cab.

Or so I thought before the gig, but it really didn't, enough volume for a pub.

It all depends on the efficiency of the speakers.

Loudness and/or volume isn't measured in watts is it ?  

• Like 1

The TH500 and GS410 are enough for any regular pub gig without PA support, you don't need to present a 4ohm load to the amp so no need to buy any more kit as what you have is already more than adequate. In fact it would be more than what most people on here gig with.

I'm certain this is input gain related.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lemmywinks said:

The TH500 and GS410 are enough for any regular pub gig without PA support, you don't need to present a 4ohm load to the amp so no need to buy any more kit as what you have is already more than adequate. In fact it would be more than what most people on here gig with.

I reckon you`re right, I connected my TH500 to many different cabs and in a punk/Oi band never needed it on any more than 11 o`clock on the volume, and that was if on a very big stage - admittedly FOH was covering the venue, but if I`d had it at that volume in a regular pub sized venue it would have obliterated the volume of the rest of the band.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

I think input gain and EQ setting need to be checked.

• Like 3

On 22/09/2022 at 02:18, blisters on my fingers said:

Sorry to be a boring b*stard, but again from the Aguilar TH500 manual.....

"Power Output: 500 watts into 4 ohms, 250 watts into 8 ohms"

Unless Aguilar are really screwing with the signal, that is wrong. ON this Video at just past 2 minutes you will here the Aguilar man say they use the ICEPower 250ASX2. That is rated at 500 watts into either 4 or 8 ohms. Now I have heard that you either love, or hate the sound of the TH500 but it certainly does not lack power.

500 watts into 8 ohms is immense  so long as your speaker sensitivity is not exceptionally low. I fact, many 1000W amps will only do 500W into 8 ohms.

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

I believe Aguilar rated all their gear very conservatively.

That is true, the TH350 use the 125ASX2 module that will give well over 400 watts into 4 ohms but they rate it as 350. My main pouint strill holds though that the TH500 should reaally be loud enough for anything. Let's take an example:

Speaket cab with a sensitivity of 95dB/W/M (low by today's standards) that will give an SPL of about 121dB at 500W. More than enough to keep up with a loud drummer I would have thought. At 250W it is still about 118-119dB.

On 26/09/2022 at 00:59, Chienmortbb said:

Unless Aguilar are really screwing with the signal, that is wrong. ON this Video at just past 2 minutes you will here the Aguilar man say they use the ICEPower 250ASX2. That is rated at 500 watts into either 4 or 8 ohms. Now I have heard that you either love, or hate the sound of the TH500 but it certainly does not lack power.

500 watts into 8 ohms is immense  so long as your speaker sensitivity is not exceptionally low. I fact, many 1000W amps will only do 500W into 8 ohms.

Aguilar did derate the output of the modules, the rating is 250 watts at 8 ohms and 500 watts at 4 ohms to prevent OC or thermal shutdown. It's tricky to get more power out of these parts without really understanding what's going on under the hood, but if you do there's a ton of off sheet potential that can be exploited. I hold a US patent that specifically addresses this (and with this module specifically but the patent applies to the techniques which apply in general, which means that others couldn't use this approach without licensing in from the company we assigned it to.