Why become a member? ×

Pink Floyd - Animals 2018 remix

wateroftyne

27 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Interesting - the 2018 mix has brought it to life for me. It’s much more present.

Maybe its the many years of listening to it that has baked the original mix into my head and hence the alternative just does not sound right to my ears. It's as if the essence of the recording has changed with the remix. In fairness I will probably buy the remix on CD and compare, as opposed to the Tidal stream, but would be surprised if that would change my mind. 

Just now, leroydiamond said:

Maybe its the many years of listening to it that has baked the original mix into my head and hence the alternative just does not sound right to my ears. It's as if the essence of the recording has changed with the remix. In fairness I will probably buy the remix on CD and compare, as opposed to the Tidal stream, but would be surprised if that would change my mind. 

I know the band were never happy with the mix, so presumably the new mix is more in line with what they were aiming for. It certainly sounds tougher and more '1977'.

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

I know the band were never happy with the mix, so presumably the new mix is more in line with what they were aiming for. It certainly sounds tougher and more '1977'.

I have listened to it again but not feeling it. It has more of a 3d soundstage which some might see as sonically better, but as I am so used of the original mix, feel it is exagerated. I see it is available on hi res download, so that might be the way to go. 

On 16/09/2022 at 17:14, leroydiamond said:

I have listened to it again but not feeling it. It has more of a 3d soundstage which some might see as sonically better, but as I am so used of the original mix, feel it is exagerated. I see it is available on hi res download, so that might be the way to go. 

I’m with you there. It’s a great remix, and sure loads of folk will love it. I’m just so used to the warmth of the original that this version spun me out a bit! (Listened on headphones) 

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

I’m with you there. It’s a great remix, and sure loads of folk will love it. I’m just so used to the warmth of the original that this version spun me out a bit! (Listened on headphones) 

Same as, listening with speakers. I think its fair to say that it is sonic  improvement over the original and allows for release of the album in various formats, thereby generating a tidy turnover. It can be argued ' Wish you were here ' and 'Dark Side of the Moon' might benefit from a similar remix and re-release. Selfish of me, but I hope they leave well enough alone. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Hi has, and - going even more OT - he won't do any Genesis, which makes me sad.

Wary of remixes of things I know, there was a trick of the tail remastering, which was so bad that i physically threw it out, it actually changed the structure of ripples and removed its core being.

I will listen to the animals one here though as for some reason I could never get into that album, maybe this will help it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

So what's wrong with the original version, and why didn't Pink Floyd put it right at the time? I mean it's not as if they were strapped for cash to pay for the studio time.

That’s what I was about to say. 

I’m wary of these remixes, surely you end up with everything sounding like it was just made?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

So what's wrong with the original version, and why didn't Pink Floyd put it right at the time? I mean it's not as if they were strapped for cash to pay for the studio time.

If you look into it, it was the first thing recorded at their new Britannia Row studio, and it wasn’t quite ready. They were never happy with the mix.

And presumably, as is the case now, they had a schedule to stick to, so out the door it went.

• Like 2

Off the back of DSotM and WYWH I would have thought that Pink Floyd were one of the most influential bands in the world and could have done pretty much what they wanted. After all, wasn't Animals the album that started off life being made entirely out of sampled sounds in the days when doing such a thing would have involved hundreds if not thousands of hours of tape manipulation and editing? Given that the 2 1/2 year gap between DSotM and WYWH didn't do the latter any harm, they could have spent a bit more time on the mixes?

Of course it could also be argued that there's nothing like a deadline to focus the mind and the mix. I've certainly been guilty myself of spending too long agonising over recordings simply because I could, and ultimately the additional months spent didn't make a significant improvement. The later mixes were different but not necessarily "better".

And finally is there any guarantee that what is being put out now is what the band would have wanted to release back in 1977 (or 1978 if the mixes had taken that long to get right)? After all they've had another 45 years to think about it. 

I'm not a Pink Floyd fan so I couldn't comment specifically, but IME the versions of albums that I like are the ones that I am most familiar with. Personally I'd rather bands concentrated on writing another album's worth of great new songs than fiddling about with their back catalogue. To me it always seems as though it's an admission of a lack of creativity. (see the other thread on old bands)

7 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Off the back of DSotM and WYWH I would have thought that Pink Floyd were one of the most influential bands in the world and could have done pretty much what they wanted. After all, wasn't Animals the album that started off life being made entirely out of sampled sounds in the days when doing such a thing would have involved hundreds if not thousands of hours of tape manipulation and editing? 

And finally is there any guarantee that what is being put out now is what the band would have wanted to release back in 1977 (or 1978 if the mixes had taken that long to get right)? After all they've had another 45 years to think about it. 

I'm not a Pink Floyd fan so I couldn't comment specifically, but IME the versions of albums that I like are the ones that I am most familiar with. Personally I'd rather bands concentrated on writing another album's worth of great new songs than fiddling about with their back catalogue. To me it always seems as though it's an admission of a lack of creativity. (see the other thread on old bands)

To respond to your paragraphs in turn:

- No… that was Wish You We’re Here

- You’re overthinking it. It sounds great now, and the band presumably all thought there was a need to remix it (as did I - it seemed obvious to me that it wasn’t as good as it could have been), and all signed off the results.

- As you know, the band is long gone (recent abomination aside) so legacy preservation mode is all their is.

FWIW, I like having the choice of remixes and remasters, and the option to buy or not depending on whether they’re any good.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

In general I am with you in terms of liking the versions of albums I am most familiar with, together with  having reservations about older albums getting the re-mastering/remixing treatment and being re-released  in numerous formats and box sets. Most recently Rory Gallagher' back catalogue is getting this treatment and I wonder would Rory approve of this. I think that certainly in Floyd's case,  they can never be accused of a lack of creativity, indeed on the contrary.