Why become a member? ×

John Taylor Signature Dingwall Combustion

Napalmnun

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Given how prolific he was with his Aria in the 80s I’m surprised he didn’t have a sig one of those. That Dingwall looks nice tho.

There's the Aria SB-1000JT  - not an official signature bass but essentially the same bass he used back in the day.

11 hours ago, Napalmnun said:

This is gorgeous and seen in the wild at Guitar Summit. DIngwall announces tomorrow the new electronics in it. 

jtsigding.jpg

Interesting to see a lefty 6-string Combustion too! So far I had only seen 4- and 5-string Combustions and NG2's/3's. Shame it's hanging upside-down :lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Napalmnun said:

Definitely based on the Rio album cover and its got a Glockenklang custom circuit inside too. Dingwall just released this video, if you goto 18:20 Sheldon talks about the JT Signature bass and its features. 

Cool stuff. 82 will be available (Rio got released in 82) in this finish but it sounded as if there could be other finishes coming out too.

Are you sure about the Glockenklang preamp? Sheldon mentions Rupert Neve and that Neve (Design) came up with the custom preamp. 

4 hours ago, Napalmnun said:

Definitely based on the Rio album cover and its got a Glockenklang custom circuit inside too. Dingwall just released this video, if you goto 18:20 Sheldon talks about the JT Signature bass and its features. 

Looks like Harry Enfield there!

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Cool stuff. 82 will be available (Rio got released in 82) in this finish but it sounded as if there could be other finishes coming out too.

Are you sure about the Glockenklang preamp? Sheldon mentions Rupert Neve and that Neve (Design) came up with the custom preamp. 

I thought the design was by Neve, but built by GK

1 hour ago, 40hz said:

Looks awesome. I like the fact they've gone proprietary on the Pre-amp, too. Colour me curious about the price!

That was quick - an almost instant reply....

"I think the price point will be slightly higher than the NG-2 basically, but I will let you know once I have a solid answer."

I think they probably mean the NG-3 rather than the NG-2, so we're looking about £2k I would think.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Thanks 2

Just now, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

That was quick - an almost instant reply....

"I think the price point will be slightly higher than the NG-2 basically, but I will let you know once I have a solid answer."

I think they probably mean the NG-3 rather than the NG-2, so we're looking about £2k I would think.

That's really not that bad at all! (Relative of course). 

I really enjoy John Taylor's bass playing and I like the design of this bass, but I don't really want the Rio graphic. To my eyes it's always been a very poor album cover. I certainly don't want it spoiling my Dingwall. I suppose it could be worse; they could have put something to do with Rio Ferdinand on the front of the bass 

My only reservation about Dingwall basses is how much sense the fanned frets ect make for a four string bass. Otherwise I am all-in on one of these.

Edited by Misdee

I feel the pain , I’ve had a number of close calls but they’ve been just outside my budget , I could sell some stuff but I’m still more inclined to hang on to what I have than order a Dingwall. 
I’d be looking at the smaller SuperJ or SuperP if I did.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Misdee said:

My only reservation about Dingwall basses is how much sense the fanned frets ect make for a four string bass. Otherwise I am all-in on one of these.

Everyone goes on about the "best B string in the business". I think the E sounds pretty huge too. Almost like you get more of the fundamental like with a short scale, but with the tension of long scale.