Why become a member? ×

September Composition Challenge

lurksalot

The start of another month of music making to be inspired by last months winner @Doctor J

As he has noted in his choice of picture "Choosing the picture is more pressurised than recording the music! "

A 'pressure' I have been chasing for a while :facepalm: ..... :D

So without further ado we have the following for you 

image.png.5e50de5f1bcf55e1001f97c9935a7ff7.png

an excellent reminder that today is the first meteorological day of Autumn :D  

Simple rules 

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and recorded this month.

✖️ No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

✖️ No  Bagpipes. the Edinburgh festival/fringe truce has been sacked off . panpipes only if you have too.

✖️ No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you.

A line or two offering an insight to your inspiration/track choice will be good as well , it works nicely on the voting thread.

The Deadline for entries is Midnight on Friday 23rd September

good luck everyone   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

I was instantly reminded of Mr Robyn Hitchcock's song Brenda's Iron Sledge which contains the immortal lines:

The grasshoppers curl up and burst
And Brenda shovels on the wurst
All aboard, Brenda's iron sledge
Please don't call me Reg, it's not my name

Brilliant song, I was fortunate enough to see Robyn perform it  recently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is my contribution to the September 2022 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: Doctor J
It all started innocently enough. A fun day out in the fresh alpine air...
Two Monster Drums tracks for the percussion, four Kontakt tracks playing a new (to me...) Foundations Synth Bass, Staccato Strings and the Text To Speech samples, Little treatment, other than a bit of compression/EQ on the voices, and my standard Reaper NY Glue on the Master tracks, as usual.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 3

My contribution to the September 2022 round of the Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by the picture chosen by the previous winner: Doctor J.

The picture suggested getting the hell out of somewhere, sharpish like, so I went for a  simple rock & roll (ish) ditty about just that. I did initially have environmentally specific references in the lyrics (snow & such), but replaced them to generalise it a bit.

Tech wise, it's the first outing for Monster Drums, after the tip-off from @skankdelvarlast month. Many thanks for that, I like how they sit! Bass was the EUB, standing in while I figure out how best to record the DB, straight into the interface. Guitar was the Vintage, via the Helix, and the organ is one of the ones bundled with Cubase Elephants 10. Vox via an SM58 and treated with CLA Vocals.

• Like 2

Having been reminded of the film about the Jamaican bobsleigh team, and inspired by the recent thread on drum and bass, here's a bit of Caribbean-tinged DnB. With lots of bass!

Bass is Lightwave Sabre fretless, drum programming via EZ with Roni Size sounds off Loopcloud. Vox are by me aor found on t'internet. All mixed in Ableton.

• Like 3

I imagine the lady in the picture is experiencing the same fear which our new PM will experience as she tries to solve the countries problems.  With the current economic situation in the country reminding me of the late 70s and early 80s I though I'd do some English Ska.  

Tech stuff - as usual, Cubase with guitars and bass through Amplitube.  I wanted a big boomy bass so selected the biggest baddest bass speaker available, but the biggest I could find was an 8 x 10.  Drums are Mt Powerdrums with a bit of reverb added.  Percussion and horns are Xpand Air2. 

EDIT:

I've done a remix/remaster on this - I heard it on speakers and it sounded a bit lifeless.  I think this is much better.

Edited by Nicko
Remixes and link replaced
  • Like 3

Dear Points of View,

What has happened to Mr L Smalls ?I am now in a state of confusion and mild panic. This is due to the fact that I have been able to listen to the last three of his compositions from start to finish. In the seven years that I've been involved in this murky corner of the internet, I can assure you that this is a first. 

Has the short sighted octopus of fate, finally mounted the bagpipes of destiny ?

Regards

Miss Trellis

Edited by fingers211
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Dear Ms. Trellis

I would like to postulate that, perhaps, you have become immune to, or perhaps attuned to, or even consumed by the insidious evil present in Mr. Smalls "work". As an example, I'd like to present "Now That's What I Call Music", which appeared to absolutely no fanfare apart from its own chaotic and atonal aural assault 2 months ago. Note how carefully it was placed between almost normal offerings in order to inveigle its way into the minds and hearts of reasonable God-Fearing folk - this is where the slippery slope begins, and in order to halt the slide into an enjoyment of the sort of "music" that frightens small animals and ensures no repeat visitors to one's house, I would recommend a diet of Syrup of Figs and Burt Baccarach or failing that, a competent exorcist.

In trepidation

Anne Robinson

Didn't think I'd make it his month.... but inspiration and a bit of time came, and here it is.

blurb

Picture is someone sliding, so I (eventually) thought of slide guitar. I only really use a slide on my cigar box guitar, made with my on fair hands a few years ago. So Cigar box slide it is.

Technical details:

DAW: Studio One, Drums: mix of Studio one and MT-Power drums, Bass: Vantage Avenger, Guitar: homemade Cigar box guitar - 3 string fretless - Pic below

075C3752-CF0D-4346-9BB7-ACDCFB5E55DD.jpeg.47c5a30e8e74ee356bca543795750c5d.jpeg

Edited by Nail Soup
Add picture
  • Like 3

I’ve written a song , I’ve tried about a dozen takes on the vocal , it needs more takes 😂

I will keep trying until deadline, then you get what you get🤘

I’ve got a wedding to go to , half a days work , and grand little lurks is staying , this could get messy !

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lurksalot said:

I’ve written a song , I’ve tried about a dozen takes on the vocal , it needs more takes 😂

9 hours ago, Doctor J said:

I'm in the same boat. Vocals are proving... ehhh... problematic, let's say.

And then there were three 🙃 bloody vocals, no wonder I usually just stick to instrumentals! Try, try, and try again...

• Like 2

Well, there'll be no talking coming out of me for the rest of the evening 😄

The song: I could empathise with the lady in the picture. As a youth, I had many an adventure which seemed like a great idea to start off with, but quickly sped beyond my control and ended with blood loss. Something fast and violent seemed appropriate.

The techy stuff: Same as usual. Yamaha drums into Behringer gear. Bass was a Bacchus Jazz into some hearty distortion. Guitars were a Bacchus strat and a Tokai 335, run into an Avid Eleven. Lots of downstrokes died in the recording of this song. Vocals squaked out this evening and now I need a nice cup of tea and some rest. All mashed together in ProTools.

• Like 2

Here's mine with a day to spare. Huzzah!

It's 2023, sixty years on from the last big freeze and Britain is once again covered in snow and ice. One intrepid granny is determined not to let the inclement weather get in the way of her weekly shopping routine.

Tech stuff - As well as the usual Wavepad and Audacity for recording the guitar (Epiphone) and vox (Apogee+ mic) I've dabbled with Ableton and its MIDI resources this month for the synth sounds and used MT Power drums too. All a steep learning curve but good fun.

• Like 2