Why become a member? ×

Muting while slapping on a 5 string

kwmlondon

You've got to be a frigging octopus!!! Honestly... Gaaaaaahhhhhh! 

Absolutely no problem with fingers - floating thumb. Pick, bit more difficult but I've got it down but I'm in my early days of slap and I think I'm gonna have to put down the Dingwall and get back on the 4-string for a while. 

Anyone else get frustrated with ringing strings when slapping? And I can't really resort to one of those wrap things as some stuff needs open strings to ring out...

If you’re talking the B string resonating, I’ve found that raising my thumb on the back of the fretboard so that it just touches the top of the B string works, as does leaning the back of my right hand against the B string. Slightly less easy than slapping on a 4 string though! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, drTStingray said:

If you’re talking the B string resonating, I’ve found that raising my thumb on the back of the fretboard so that it just touches the top of the B string works, as does leaning the back of my right hand against the B string. Slightly less easy than slapping on a 4 string though! 

Good tip. Thanks.

IME it's quite a bit more difficult than on a 4 string. The thumb over the top of the neck as per DrT can be helpful, but I find

(1) using my index finger flattened out or middle finger if the index is fretting on the A, D or G strings touching the B to mute

and (2) the underside of my right (for righties) forearm resting on the B string when I'm not playing it this only works if you play "thumb up" or "thumb parallel" technique and don't go the full Louis Johnson whacking the living daylights out of the instrument...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OzJzF said:

IME it's quite a bit more difficult than on a 4 string. The thumb over the top of the neck as per DrT can be helpful, but I find

(1) using my index finger flattened out or middle finger if the index is fretting on the A, D or G strings touching the B to mute

and (2) the underside of my right (for righties) forearm resting on the B string when I'm not playing it this only works if you play "thumb up" or "thumb parallel" technique and don't go the full Louis Johnson whacking the living daylights out of the instrument...

Yeah, this is what I'm doing - reaching over with the thumb for some sections then extending the index finger across at others I think the really tricky maneuvre is switching from one to the other. I'm also using the flesh of my palm to touch on the B and E strings when I can just to temporarily cut of any ringing. I'm a bit of a stickler for muting so it's driving me a bit mad! I guess it's just practise but man it feel fiendish...

• Like 1

I think I use the ball of my right thumb to mute the B when it's not being played if I can't mute with the LH. I do also have a fretwrap jobbie at the headstock though. 

That said I don't really slap that often and certainly not any Wooten-esque pyrotechnics! 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jakester said:

I think I use the ball of my right thumb to mute the B when it's not being played if I can't mute with the LH. I do also have a fretwrap jobbie at the headstock though. 

That said I don't really slap that often and certainly not any Wooten-esque pyrotechnics! 

Yeah, I think that I need to bring a whole range of techniques into play. I'm not trying anything wootenesque but there are some absolutely delicious Larrry Graham lines that need open strings to ring out - Thank You For Letting Me Be Myself has an open E while playing a few octaves higher so on an 5 string keeping the B from ringing out is a pain...

35 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I find a bath towel wrapped around the neck does a great job of stopping the open strings ringing.

It also gets rid of that horrible 'slapping' noise.

😉

Well, you could just ditch the bass altogether and have a kazoo, a microphone and an octave pedal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwmlondon said:

Yeah, I think that I need to bring a whole range of techniques into play. I'm not trying anything wootenesque but there are some absolutely delicious Larrry Graham lines that need open strings to ring out - Thank You For Letting Me Be Myself has an open E while playing a few octaves higher so on an 5 string keeping the B from ringing out is a pain...

Hmm, I see what you mean - just had a quick go at a very rough attempt and when you lift off to allow the E to ring, it's hard to cover the B. 

I did try wanging the fretwrap higher up the neck - around 3rd or 4th fret and it cut the B out completely but left the E, A and D ringing when you want them to. It also muted the G, but if you're fretting the octaves higher up the neck than that won't be an issue. 

Other option I tried was playing the E on the 5th fret of the B string. Bit of a stretch to the octaves on the G-string etc but worth a try?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kwmlondon said:

There are some times when you absolutely need a "ahem", 4-string bass.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jakester said:

Hmm, I see what you mean - just had a quick go at a very rough attempt and when you lift off to allow the E to ring, it's hard to cover the B. 

I did try wanging the fretwrap higher up the neck - around 3rd or 4th fret and it cut the B out completely but left the E, A and D ringing when you want them to. It also muted the G, but if you're fretting the octaves higher up the neck than that won't be an issue. 

Other option I tried was playing the E on the 5th fret of the B string. Bit of a stretch to the octaves on the G-string etc but worth a try?

I think it’s the agility I’m missing. It’s not a natural thing, takes a lot of thought. Cheers for the input though, much appreciated. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I find a bath towel wrapped around the neck does a great job of stopping the open strings ringing.

It also gets rid of that horrible 'slapping' noise.

😉

I watched your ‘50 years later video’ and I’m sure I heard some slappity slappity on that upright 🤔😀🤣

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kwmlondon said:

Yeah you’re not wrong. There’s a reason why people splat (predictive text slap) on a 4 but that low b can be addictive!!!!

I went from 4 to 5 strings a few years ago and have always just had one Bass at a time but I'm finding that there are occasions where a 4 is better for slap: Marcus Miller, Flea, Larry Graham, Les Claypool, Mark King, Stanley Clarke etc. can't all be wrong!  (I'm sure there are lots of examples of them playing 5 too, but they often choose 4).

That's how I'm justifying getting a 4 string Bass anyway! 

• Like 1

On 03/09/2022 at 11:19, SumOne said:

I went from 4 to 5 strings a few years ago and have always just had one Bass at a time but I'm finding that there are occasions where a 4 is better for slap: Marcus Miller, Flea, Larry Graham, Les Claypool, Mark King, Stanley Clarke etc. can't all be wrong!  (I'm sure there are lots of examples of them playing 5 too, but they often choose 4).

That's how I'm justifying getting a 4 string Bass anyway! 

Well I have 3 basses: a 5 string, a 4 string with flats and a 4 string with wounds which do very different jobs. I’m finding it a lot easier to slap on the 5 string for sure!

21 hours ago, ambient said:

Use the left hand fingers that aren’t playing notes. I can slap on a six string. It’s just practice really, maybe sit in front of a mirror and watch what you’re doing?

Yes it is just practice but there are definitely some compromises. Working out what you can get away with is where the experience comes in..

1 hour ago, kwmlondon said:

Yes it is just practice but there are definitely some compromises. Working out what you can get away with is where the experience comes in..

The best thing is to sit in front of a mirror and watch yourself play. Pay particular attention to the left hand. Look to see which left hand fingers are free when you hear notes sounding that you don’t want. Use those free fingers as mutes. Unless you’re playing chords then the chances are that you have three fingers to spare. Start slowly, very slowly and gradually increase the tempo as you get more proficient at muting and slapping. 

To start with it has to be a conscious thing, after a while it just happens.

• Like 2