Why become a member? ×

When you've agreed to help a band out on bass... and you can see the railway crash looming!

warwickhunt

On 29/08/2022 at 15:11, warwickhunt said:

Oddly enough I don't want to crush the guy... I should for wasting our time but in fact I had hoped he'd pick up on the pitfalls and shortcomings.  Even my dressing down (for want of a better term) of him at the rehearsal was intended to give him a wake up call.  :/ 

Being a singer, especially for covers is very hard!! I tried it myself a few times and realised exactly how hard. It's not just remembering the queues the words and being in tune but getting the right emphasis on the right words and syllables... Hopefully the singer has taken your push in the right direction positively and recognises he had a decent band behind him. A band better than his current level of ability deserved.

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

It's not just remembering the queues the words and being in tune but getting the right emphasis on the right words and syllables...

Remember, if you ever say that out loud it will be hilariously funny to emphasise the wrong syllables in the words "emphasis" and "syllables" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's always struck me as odd that, whilst most people view it as normal for instrumentalists to work at their craft, practice scales, acquire theoretical knowledge and so on, many seem to think that singing well is all down to "talent". Proper singers know different, of course and will learn vocal techniques and exercises and practice just as any musician does. They know that having a decent sounding voice (which is something one is born with) is only a starting point. Shame there aren't more who think that way.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

It's always struck me as odd that, whilst most people view it as normal for instrumentalists to work at their craft, practice scales, acquire theoretical knowledge and so on, many seem to think that singing well is all down to "talent". Proper singers know different, of course and will learn vocal techniques and exercises and practice just as any musician does. They know that having a decent sounding voice (which is something one is born with) is only a starting point. Shame there aren't more who think that way.

Totally agree.  The 3/4 piece 'unplugged' group I play with has a vocalist who decided late in life that he wanted to 'sing', as such he has little experience and tends to belt everything out at 110% (ask @wateroftyne).  I gave him the heads up that he'd need to take it easy as we had a 3 gig weekend coming up (weekend just past).  Sure enough 1/2 way through the 2nd gig his voice went.  I advised we bailed on the 3rd gig but he said resting it for the day would be enough... it wasn't!  I may not be a singer myself but I've been around enough to see the signs and sadly he may end up giving himself problems if he doesn't train or get some tuition.  :(  

• Like 1

Sounded all right. I'd be more inclined to have stood at the back with the drummer and given the two guitarists and the singer more space along the front to move around a bit or chucked a rhythm guitarist back a bit. 

With a bit of movement and attention to visuals you can get away with a bit more of a less tight set. 

11 hours ago, TimR said:

Sounded all right. I'd be more inclined to have stood at the back with the drummer and given the two guitarists and the singer more space along the front to move around a bit or chucked a rhythm guitarist back a bit. 

With a bit of movement and attention to visuals you can get away with a bit more of a less tight set. 

It probably doesn't show in the clips but basically I was giving the vocalist queues for where to come in and I was in line with the guitarist furthest away from me to give him the nod on the songs that he was less familiar with (hence I am looking their way most of the set).  Added to which, this was a case of getting through the songs rather than 'performing', we needed to kick out some of the material that the 4 of us had learned (as the singer had never actually sung before but his family liked certain tracks) and we put in new numbers.  Sadly this was established at the fated shortened rehearsal and it's never good with 1 hour to go, to have to establish which songs we might all know and be able to perform to an audience without embarrassing ourselves.

It does come across as an OK performance that would be perfectly acceptable as a regular showcase and that I might have over egged it a bit but there were times (possibly not on these clips) where the singer could have derailed the performance but as a team effort we pulled together to keep it rolling.  

• Like 2

I too have heard worse claiming to be better. Many singers or would be singers do not appreciate that they need to exercise, rest, warm up, warm down etc. I had some vocal coaching once which helped my range and tone a lot but (I'm a BV not an LV) it's lots of work - I used to do the exercises on the way to and from work in the car - got some funny looks at traffic lights 😊

Cool bass btw and well done for getting through it.

19 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

Totally agree.  The 3/4 piece 'unplugged' group I play with has a vocalist who decided late in life that he wanted to 'sing', as such he has little experience and tends to belt everything out at 110%

I may not be a singer myself but I've been around enough to see the signs and sadly he may end up giving himself problems if he doesn't train or get some tuition.  :(  

I remember, absolute donkey's years ago, reading an article in International Musician & Recording World (now that was a proper music mag) which was a really good interview with a high profile singing teacher. She'd taught a huge number of big names, and she had a few choice words about Paul Young and what she said was his dreadful singing technique. She said then that if he didn't get some tuition or at the very least change what he was doing, he would ruin his voice. Lo and behold he had quite a few problems during the 80s and now, well, just do a youtube search for 'paul young 2022'. Or better still, don't. :(

30 minutes ago, Rich said:

I remember, absolute donkey's years ago, reading an article in International Musician & Recording World (now that was a proper music mag) which was a really good interview with a high profile singing teacher. She'd taught a huge number of big names, and she had a few choice words about Paul Young and what she said was his dreadful singing technique. She said then that if he didn't get some tuition or at the very least change what he was doing, he would ruin his voice. Lo and behold he had quite a few problems during the 80s and now, well, just do a youtube search for 'paul young 2022'. Or better still, don't. :(

Let's not even mention JBJ!  :/  

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Totally agree re Paul Young, he had a great voice but saw a programme with him singing on it and it was such a shame, that wonderful voice had completely gone.

34 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Let's not even mention JBJ!  :/  

Who be JBJ? Ah, just worked it out, yes he now sounds hideous.

Should watch the Living On a Prayer (Goat Edition) - Bon Jovi - YouTube - probably better than he can manage at present.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Thanks 1