Why become a member? ×

Recommend a good compressor?

SammyDamacy

[quote name='SammyDamacy' post='464343' date='Apr 16 2009, 07:57 PM']Hi all!

After a good compressor, currently using the boss me50b, not too sure if it's really up to standards on sound........

Basically I do ALOT of tapping, band n solo stuff.

Any recommendations?

Cheers! :)[/quote]

Depends on your budget.... if you are after a pro compressor then the DBX 162SL is fantastic and unbelievably transparent.

My favourite compressor for bass is the same as my favourite compressor for live vocals, snare and most things.
DBX 160.
Fantastic. They can do pumping or ultra transparent and are really effective when you want them to be. I have two, a 160a for my FOH rack (I'm a sound engineer) and an older 160X in my rig and they're both fantastic. I intend to buy a few more when I can afford them.

Edited by joegarcia

I've got the Diamond Compressor and it's the absolute dogs danglies. Very quiet, lots of headroom and a nice smooth compression that lets the perfect amount of your attack come through. There's a bass version coming out that has better low end retention (ony really necesary on a 5 string) and a different voicing for the EQ (which I don't use anyway):

The DHA bass compressor?
[url="http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/Products,%20VT1-BassCompressor.htm"]http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/Products,%20...sCompressor.htm[/url]

Not got one, but I remember ages ago some people loving theirs on here (or perhaps BW/BT).

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='464412' date='Apr 16 2009, 09:11 PM']PLUS THE ONE! Fantastic pedal, I would never gig without it! Definitely worth the money :).[/quote]

i've tried a lot of pedal compressors, and the ebs wins hands down. the tube sim mode is amazing just for the sweetness it adds to the sound.

so...plus the one

[quote name='JJTee' post='464625' date='Apr 17 2009, 01:52 AM']Demeter Compulator. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for:

[url="http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/our-catalogue/Effects/Demeter-Effects/item/2272"]http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/o...fects/item/2272[/url][/quote]

+1
After having owned the EBS Multicomp and the Demeter Compulator, the Compulator is the one for me too... very transparent, low noise and easy to use, it's great bit if kit :)

[quote name='PauBass' post='466534' date='Apr 19 2009, 08:03 AM']+1
After having owned the EBS Multicomp and the Demeter Compulator, the Compulator is the one for me too... very transparent, low noise and easy to use, it's great bit if kit :rolleyes:[/quote]

+1

Haven't owned the MultiComp, but I've tried it and definitely prefer my Demeter :)

[quote name='PauBass' post='466534' date='Apr 19 2009, 08:03 AM']+1
After having owned the EBS Multicomp and the Demeter Compulator, the Compulator is the one for me too... very transparent, low noise and easy to use, it's great bit if kit :rolleyes:[/quote]

Do you have an active bass? Plug it into the Demeter and eat up that distortion. :)

Which is precisely why I went for the Diamond - it can run at 9-24v, the higher the voltage the higher the headroom. It distorts when run at 9v when you really dig in, but at 18v (using a Diago 9v - 18v voltage doubler adaptor tip) I can't get it to distort even if I boost into it. The Maxon CP9-Pro+ has a similar voltage doubler built into the pedal. It's not just actives that can cause a problem with some comps, abusive playing on a hot P-Bass is enough to clip most 9v comps too.

[quote name='Hamster' post='467182' date='Apr 20 2009, 08:06 AM']I've tried quite a few including the EBS, and sold them all on. I now have a Demeter Compulator - which will be on my board for a long long time! :)[/quote]

Hmm, seems like I am not the only person who has experienced these distortion problems.

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7220701"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7220701[/url]

For guitar I think it is great, possibly the best pedal compressor I have used on guitar. That's what it's designed for. On a passive bass, yeah, although I have heard nicer... and as for active basses, it just doesn't float my boat/work properly. It distorted with my Yamaha BB-NE2, Lakland with Audere, Lakland with EBS and my GBs - and it distorted on both old batteries, new batteries and when used with a powersupply. That's just my experience though. People love it. I don't but we should all make our own minds up.

Just out of interest Hamster - are you using active or passive basses?

Just a shout out for the Demeter preamp though. That thing is brilliant. A/Bed it with the Marcus Miller preamp and in my opinion, the Demeter left the SWR for dust. When I was at bass player mag (US), the reviewer said as much also... but it still got a glowing report. Fender put a lot of advertising their way. Go figure.

PS, If you don't mind going rack, the Focusrite Compounder, as I've said before in other threads, is a great compressor. Great for live use and superb in the studio. Your bass (and drum) mixes will literally jump out the speakers.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='cheddatom' post='467249' date='Apr 20 2009, 10:11 AM']Have you tried it at 18V EBS_Freak?[/quote]

The Compulator? No I haven't - but then again, the manufacturer states that it should work at 9v (and more specifically it needs 7v to work without noise). Talking of noise, it was a pain in the arse when using a daisy chain - a ) I had to make up a special cable for it because the connector is a stupid jack instead of a barrel connector b ) it seemed to be a little noisy unless it was on it's own dedicated supply or working alone on batteries.

Again, this is just my experience.

[quote name='sk8' post='466341' date='Apr 18 2009, 07:43 PM']BBE opto Stomp. Cheap and cheerful[/quote]

What he said.

I'm happy with mine. Only had it a month or so but played 2 gigs and several rehearsals now. It's sorted out my peaks and troughs nicely.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='467166' date='Apr 20 2009, 03:27 AM']Do you have an active bass? Plug it into the Demeter and eat up that distortion. :)[/quote]

Yes, I'm using it with active basses, Musicman Stingray, Sadowsky, Ibanez ATK and, guess what? I plug into the Demeter and no distortion at all!

Read through the Compulator instructions and you'll find this:

"...Trim pot sets the gain of the compressor's pre-amplifier. If distortion occurs turn this down until the signal is clean. The unit is set at the factory at 20dB of gain which is perfect for most instruments...."

And, by the way, as stated on my post, it's my personal choice after having owned both of them and that's the reason I'm recommending it... I don't mean the EBS it's a bad compressor, in fact it's a good unit and I liked it but I like the Compulator better :rolleyes:

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='467237' date='Apr 20 2009, 09:59 AM']Hmm, seems like I am not the only person who has experienced these distortion problems.

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7220701"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7220701[/url]

For guitar I think it is great, possibly the best pedal compressor I have used on guitar. That's what it's designed for. On a passive bass, yeah, although I have heard nicer... and as for active basses, it just doesn't float my boat/work properly. It distorted with my Yamaha BB-NE2, Lakland with Audere, Lakland with EBS and my GBs - and it distorted on both old batteries, new batteries and when used with a powersupply. That's just my experience though. People love it. I don't but we should all make our own minds up.

Just out of interest Hamster - are you using active or passive basses?

Just a shout out for the Demeter preamp though. That thing is brilliant. A/Bed it with the Marcus Miller preamp and in my opinion, the Demeter left the SWR for dust. When I was at bass player mag (US), the reviewer said as much also... but it still got a glowing report. Fender put a lot of advertising their way. Go figure.

PS, If you don't mind going rack, the Focusrite Compounder, as I've said before in other threads, is a great compressor. Great for live use and superb in the studio. Your bass (and drum) mixes will literally jump out the speakers.[/quote]

Funnily enough, I'm also using mine with an active Lakland 55/01 with an Audere preamp, as well as a standard active Stingray and a passive USA P with a Villex PRTB. I must admit I wondered if the Demeter lived up to the hype but I'm delighted with it. I've never experienced distortion with it and I daisy chain it off a 2amp 9volt power supply so it's got plenty of juice.

Is it worth dropping James Demeter an e-mail? I've heard he's a pretty helpful guy?

It might be worth borrowing someone else's to A/B yours with?

[quote name='PauBass' post='467278' date='Apr 20 2009, 10:40 AM']Yes, I'm using it with active basses, Musicman Stingray, Sadowsky, Ibanez ATK and, guess what? I plug into the Demeter and no distortion at all!

Read through the Compulator instructions and you'll find this:

"...Trim pot sets the gain of the compressor's pre-amplifier. If distortion occurs turn this down until the signal is clean. The unit is set at the factory at 20dB of gain which is perfect for most instruments...."

And, by the way, as stated on my post, it's my personal choice after having owned both of them and that's the reason I'm recommending it... I don't mean the EBS it's a bad compressor, in fact it's a good unit and I liked it but I like the Compulator better :)[/quote]

I played with the trim pot but it still didn't sound right to me. Maybe I had a duff unit... but I know another bass player who had the same issue with his!

No problem. There is no problem with people liking different gear. That's what keeps the world interesting! If it works for you, then hey, that's cool!

Hi guys

I've been thinking about getting a compressor for use on both my bass and electric six strings too. I'm skint at the moment so have pretty much narrowed it down to two: Aphex Punch Factory or BBE Optostomp. The DI functions on the PF sound really useful, and it also seems to be a bit easier to get hold of in the UK---but having said that the Optostomp has got some great reviews and seems to be built like a tank. In the last half hour or so the T-rex comp nova has also caught my eye...

I'm not really looking for compression as an effect, more as a way of rounding out the sound a bit and helping my telecaster cut through the mix a bit more.

What are your opinions on these three?

Edited by uncle psychosis