Why become a member? ×

Ampeg V4B + SVT212AV

Guest BassAdder27

A8DD1700-3066-4213-B03F-A1EAD25E70A6.thumb.jpeg.7d860c813b4f7fd9102abb2930760b7f.jpegAfter recently purchasing this from my fellow basschatter I used the V4B at rehearsals.

My concerns about how loud were soon dismissed, these heads for 100W are loud.

Its an excellent match to the SVT212AV cab and has a great Ampeg growl / grind tone.

The EQ is very easy to work with and I found it was better not using my compression pedal instead go straight in with my bass.

Last night I used my Ray34 and the band said it was by far the best sound they had heard from me. 
Naturally I’m super pleased about this and I suspect this will be my small to medium venue rig and use my ABM600 rig for larger or outside gigs. 
I ran the master fully open last night on the V4B and used the gain control for volume, sounded great.

Tried it today and I think I prefer the master as required  and use the gain set around 3pm 

Also found today I like the Ultra Low ON ( it only boosts the bass a bit and reduces 500hz) but I turn the bass control down a little and crank the 800hz control. This seems to be a sweet spot for the amp, will see how it sounds next week when played louder with the band.

Anyone who likes a great rock sound for small to medium sized gigs I can recommend this amp and cab. 
Better than my ABM600 ( nope ) just different in feel and tone. 

Edited by BassAdder27

That’s a rig that I would love, having used one once, but sadly the weight of the cab (and possibly the amp too) is just beyond me now. If I lived in a ground floor property it would be fine but just can’t do that weight & stairs. I found the rig to be plenty loud and just seemed to fit in the right place, as imo Ampeg just does. I’m super envious. Was probably better without the compressor given the natural compression that valve amps have.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

That’s a rig that I would love, having used one once, but sadly the weight of the cab (and possibly the amp too) is just beyond me now. If I lived in a ground floor property it would be fine but just can’t do that weight & stairs. I found the rig to be plenty loud and just seemed to fit in the right place, as imo Ampeg just does. I’m super envious. Was probably better without the compressor given the natural compression that valve amps have.

Yes the compressor added nothing !!

Although the compressor works really well in front of the ABM600 

I do like the sensible +2db boost with the Ultra Low ( doesn’t make it boomy and you can add lots of 800hz mids ) 

Gives it a fuller sound in my opinion 

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

The V4 drops a really nice reggae tone too, that’s why I’ve held on to mine, I have the treble  fully off , mids on 10 o clock, bass on 2 o clock and the ultra low on , simple eq and it sounds great 

Yes and for rock I find it sounds really good especially when pushed ! 

1 minute ago, BassAdder27 said:

Yes and for rock I find it sounds really good especially when pushed ! 

That’s good, I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say they don’t like them, only that they weigh a bit but weight doesn’t bother me 

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s good, I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say they don’t like them, only that they weigh a bit but weight doesn’t bother me 

They have a simplicity to the EQ and it just works. Probably the wrong amp for jazz or other genres but for rock it’s perfect