Why become a member? ×

Lakland Duck Dunn: USA v Skyline?

Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='460234' date='Apr 11 2009, 11:54 PM']Any opinions on the difference betwen the two models?[/quote]

Not sure about differences between Skyline and USA but there are differences between the first and second versions. The original DD was effectively a Bob Glaub P with an anodised scratch plate and had a standard P width neck whereas the later Candy Apple Red version had a jazz neck same as the JO but with painted headstock. ( a superb neck I would add).

There have been some futher changes in the last year or so as lakland have started using their own pick-ups rather than the Lindy Fralins.

Not sure about the DD model Chris but I've been researching the DJ model and it would appear the Skyline and USA models are worlds apart and all info seems to indicate that with regard to the Skyline series you'd better try before you buy as there can be some shonky Skylines (biggest issue for me is that weight can vary between 9-11lb... though a strapping lad like you need not worry :) ), though the USA models 'generally' get high accolades. I stress that this is based upon the DJ model.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='460264' date='Apr 12 2009, 12:21 AM']Not sure about the DD model Chris but I've been researching the DJ model and it would appear the Skyline and USA models are worlds apart and all info seems to indicate that with regard to the Skyline series you'd better try before you buy as there can be some shonky Skylines (biggest issue for me is that weight can vary between 9-11lb... though a strapping lad like you need not worry :) ), though the USA models 'generally' get high accolades. I stress that this is based upon the DJ model.[/quote]

From my VERY limited exerience of DJ's I can vouch for that.

I've played just two, a new one in a showroom and the one I traded from basswesty (of this parish).

The one in the showroom was in perfect nick, well put together, had a decent set-up and strings, and was being played through a nice amp. It was also very heavy at nearly 10lbs.

It was sh*t. Complete and utter sh*t. Sounded awful, didn't feel "right", useless controls.

The one from basswesty looked identical, had a much lower action than I like or am used to (he's a MUCH better player than me!), and I first played it through a headphone amp. It's about 1lb heavier than my DD, coming in at 8.5lbs.

It was (and remains) absolutely wonderful. Plays like butter, and sounds like the J-bass of your dreams especially now I've gone string-through-body.

Very hard to believe these two descriptions are of "the same bass" but they are.

Try before you buy.

I have a Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn, nicknamed Christine after the possesed car film as this bass is possesed and the same colour as the car. Saying that, it is a superb bass to play and the tone is amazing. Not sure about the difference in quality between the Skyline and USA models but I had heard that there was not much difference between the two and my bass is built perfectly. However, I must stress, I have had nothing but problems with the electrics on mine resulting in everything being changed. There are even new pickups being shipped over as we speak from Lakland as the current ones are buggered. However, looking back at the history, its had about 5 owners and nearly all have done some kind of re-wiring/re-soldering/pot changing issues so the problems may not be related to Lakland.

Saying that, I adore this bass and plan on using her as my main working bass. This is over the Stingray, Jap Jazz and Fender Jazz. I am even thinking about selling the Fender Jazz and buying a Lakland Darryl Jones at some point.

I would have no problem buying a Skyline but if you can afford it, then get the USA model I guess. Lakland customer service is also the best. They are changing my pickups for free. This is on a bass that has had about 5 previous owners.

I've had 2 Skyline basses, a DJ4, and a DJ5, and my dad had a DD.

My DJ4 is HEAVY, heavier than the aforementioned DJ5. It's also very well put together, and plays like a dream! I love it, even though it's heavy. It's not going anwhere!

The DJ5 I eventually sold on as it just wasn't right for my current band (now the happy owner of a SR5) but it was a lovely bass to play, and was every bit as good as the DJ4!

The DD I had the least experience with, but before I got my JV P, the DD was going to be my bass of choice when I was looking for a P bass, as I loved it so much, especially with a Jazz neck on it, but the JV was cheaper, and now I don't see any reason to get one, as this JV is a real gem!

A bit about the difference between the US models and the Skyline models. Makes you wonder why its worth paying the extra for the US model. For example, the list price of a US Darryl Jones is $5000 and the list price for a Skyline Darryl Jones is $1400. Now thats a big big difference. Anyway, here is the text.

When we asked the Lakland founder, Dan Lakin "What's the difference between a Lakland U.S bass and a Lakland Skyline bass besides the price and the country where the body and neck are made?"we were surprised at his frank and honest answer!
"The answer is a lot and not much, depending on who you are, what you like and what your needs are" said Dan. "Lakland Skylines are designed in Chicago but made in a state-of-the-art factory in Korea. Lakland determines all specifications and anything that can be done by machine is done by machine, including the fretting. Basses are manufactured in lots of thirty or more of each model. Most Skylines arrive at the Lakland factory fully finished, except for electronics. Lakland luthiers inspect each bass and do refinements according to an incredibly thorough set-up procedure that ensures each bass has proper string alignment, neck relief, fretting, tuner installation integrity, etc. The Skylines are then installed with the same electronics as the U.S models except for the 01 models which are shipped with Korean electronics. No Skyline bass leaves the Lakland facility until it's properly set up and in prime playing condition. We know the customer might not consciously notice it if the refinements weren't't done, but we believe that this incredible attention to detail is the reason most players consider Lakland Skylines higher in quality than most mass produced American-made basses".

[quote name='Linus27' post='463026' date='Apr 15 2009, 02:34 PM']A bit about the difference between the US models and the Skyline models. Makes you wonder why its worth paying the extra for the US model. For example, the list price of a US Darryl Jones is $5000 and the list price for a Skyline Darryl Jones is $1400. Now thats a big big difference. Anyway, here is the text.

When we asked the Lakland founder, Dan Lakin "What's the difference between a Lakland U.S bass and a Lakland Skyline bass besides the price and the country where the body and neck are made?"we were surprised at his frank and honest answer!
"The answer is a lot and not much, depending on who you are, what you like and what your needs are" said Dan. "Lakland Skylines are designed in Chicago but made in a state-of-the-art factory in Korea. Lakland determines all specifications and anything that can be done by machine is done by machine, including the fretting. Basses are manufactured in lots of thirty or more of each model. Most Skylines arrive at the Lakland factory fully finished, except for electronics. Lakland luthiers inspect each bass and do refinements according to an incredibly thorough set-up procedure that ensures each bass has proper string alignment, neck relief, fretting, tuner installation integrity, etc. The Skylines are then installed with the same electronics as the U.S models except for the 01 models which are shipped with Korean electronics. No Skyline bass leaves the Lakland facility until it's properly set up and in prime playing condition. We know the customer might not consciously notice it if the refinements weren't't done, but we believe that this incredible attention to detail is the reason most players consider Lakland Skylines higher in quality than most mass produced American-made basses".[/quote]

Agreed - but when you have a US in your hands, you can tell the difference in the woods big time. US uses choice pieces of wood. The Skylines are great, but you do notice that the wood is somewhat "plain" in comparison. Are the US nicer than the Skylines? Absolutely. Every time. Are they worth the extra money....? Not convinced.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='463028' date='Apr 15 2009, 02:38 PM']Agreed - but when you have a US in your hands, you can tell the difference in the woods big time. US uses choice pieces of wood. The Skylines are great, but you do notice that the wood is somewhat "plain" in comparison. Are the US nicer than the Skylines? Absolutely. Every time. Are they worth the extra money....? Not convinced.[/quote]

I guess thats the difference then and I guess depending on budget and personel taste, only oneself can justify if the extra price is worth paying. Is there anywhere in the UK that sell the US models? I had a look and could not really find anywhere advertising them. Wanted to try and find a price of a US Darryl Jones 4 String.

Edited by Linus27

Only got experience with Skylines I'm afraid, but my 2p:

Had a DJ5 briefly, Rich (Out to play Jazz) played it and loved it but I found it heavy (over 10lb) and hated the 35" and string spacing - but I can't blame Lakland for that.

The BG I had was sorry to say heavy, unbalanced and not well finished - sorry to be a heretic but it wasn't a patch on my 2004 MIA Precision.

A few months back I played a good 5-6 Lakky Skylines in Electro (Doncaster), they all appear to have gone now, however I was amazed by the level of weight difference - particularly on the DJ5's (anywhere from 8.5 to 11lbs). The best of the bunch was a nice sounding JO4 that I would have had in front of any of the MIA Fender Jazzes I've had in the past.

I had a skyline jo which was great but weighed in at over 11lbs. I read Dan had later put controls in to prevent over heavy basses being made.

A Skyline 55 02 which was beautifull, preferred it to the stingray 5 I had before and was marginally lighter. Sold only because I decided to play 4 bangers.

A Skyline 44-02 I sold this to buy the fiver, wish I hadnt, gorgeous cherry sunburst. let down by cheap feeling pots

A Jerry scheff in shoreline gold, great bass, still have it. Apart from a small paint blemish, about on a par with my stirling for quality

I think we really use the wrong terms for these basses. With all respect I dont beleive that just because its made in the US its superior to stuff made in another country. All woodwork is done on a cnc machine, and I think the US ones are made outside. The pickups are i think the same, its only the hardware that may be different. I think what we should be saying is that they are made to a price, not made in a country, and so to my US Jo

Everything about this is about attention to detail. flawless finish, neck feels perfect. maple fret markers! light in weight, you can just tell its a class item. The woods are of superior quality.

A US one will probably cost near double what a skyline costs. Is it twice as good. No. Is worth it, its down to the individual.

Edited by bumnote