Why become a member? ×

New Sandberg UMBO!!

CHRISDABASS

Hey

I was checking out a few sandbergs in my local PMT yesterday!

ive gotta say i was pretty disappointed!! my expectations were quite high!

i especially disliked the really over done "aged" look on a number of the models in stock!!

Its just awful!! (its only my opinion, which never really mattered anyway lol)

that and the ones i tried just felt dead and really heavy!!

any thoughts on sandbergs in general??

i really, really wanted to like them!!

The one thing that saves Sandberg for me is the new model on their website!

[url="http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/"]http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/[/url]

its called UMBO!!

it looks great in the white finish!! (almost larry graham inspired! in an odd way!)

i nice new take on the J bass theme!!

i look forward to trying one!

:)

Edited by CHRISDABASS

I'm played a few new Sandbergs & my findings were generally that the standard California models were okay, but the ones that stood out were the Panther Ltd 5. That one has a truly lovely & massive sound & is great to play. The other one was a California PM supreme model. I don't know the difference between the standard and the supreme, but this one was utterly biblical. I was almost tempted to trade my bolt on Status 5 for it. But I decided against it in the end.

Just bought A Sandberg Basic in Matt Blueburst and it is a stonking bass IMHO.
It's light, great neck profile and a really low action. The bridge is adjustable for string width and the Delano MM pick-up does just that, has that MusicMan "zing". Great range of tones from the 3 band Eq. I intend to coil-tap the pick-up and it will then be competing with my G&L for my attention.
I notice Sandberg now have their "own badged" pick-ups and this may have affected the overall sound. Don't know if they are still made by Delano or not.
I guess it proves the old adage, there are good and bad in all makes and models. It's the same with Spector's, those that love them, love them. I could not get on with mine and it has now "left the building".

[quote name='tombboy' post='460436' date='Apr 12 2009, 10:53 AM']I've got two Chris and can't disagree with you more. My Blackburst is solid but a little heavy. However, the custom (with the wretched custom finish!!) is as light as a feather and plays like a beaut!!!!!! (have a few more!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!)

[/quote]

i love those

I've got a ken taylor 5 string, and its bloody brilliant bass, only thing for me is i find the body a bit cramped, with two MM pickups on there and a 24 fret neck, to this end i'd swap for a california JM5 if i had the chance, as i guess i'm more used to traditional Fender shaped basses than more modern styled ones.
In terms of sound and build quality they can't be faulted though in my book.

Edited by Foxx

[quote name='Foxx' post='460464' date='Apr 12 2009, 11:41 AM']I've got a ken taylor 5 string, and its bloody brilliant bass, only thing for me is i find the body a bit cramped, with two MM pickups on there and a 24 fret neck, to this end i'd swap for a california JM5 if i had the chance, as i guess i'm more used to traditional Fender shaped basses than more modern styled ones.
In terms of sound and build quality they can't be faulted though in my book.[/quote]

Im not saying they're not well made, just that they didnt feel right (for me)

And the way that the beautiful finish was destroyed on a few of them was plain wrong (again in my opinion)

If im gonna have a beaten up bass i want it to at least have happened naturally threw heavy use/gigging etc

other wise its like buying an expensive pair of jeans that already have holes in them (how old do i sound now! dam it!) lol

:)

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='460477' date='Apr 12 2009, 11:50 AM']Im not saying they're not well made, just that they didnt feel right (for me)

And the way that the beautiful finish was destroyed on a few of them was plain wrong (again in my opinion)

If im gonna have a beaten up bass i want it to at least have happened naturally threw heavy use/gigging etc

other wise its like buying an expensive pair of jeans that already have holes in them (how old do i sound now! dam it!) lol

:)[/quote]

I have to agree with you on the relics, i find the whole idea absurd, as someone pointed out on another thread, you wouldn't pay extra for (or probably wouldn't even consider buying ) a car with dents and scratches like that!
And ditto with the jeans. lol

I like relics. I totally get it and I think you either get it or you don't. Either is cool.

I am seriously gas'ing over a hardcore aged California PM ever since I discovered they had a zero fret. Never played one though so next time I am near a PMT I will have to pop in.

P.

I swear by Cali JM4, it's done everything I've asked it to so far. When I first picked it up, I was playing fast, heavy rock music, and it displaced my Stingray no problem. Got a nice blend between the MM and J pickup, and it had grind and depth to spare.

I'm playing in an Americana/Alt-Country type band now, with 3 singing guitarists and a slide player. Thrown a set of flats on, roll off the treble, and stick to the neck pickup, and it's massive.

I couldn't imagine using anything else now. I'm seriously considering trading my 'ray for another Sandberg, and if you'd suggested that to me 12 months ago I'd have laughed you out of town.

I'm with the angry mob on the heavy relicing though, ruins a gorgeous bass!

[quote name='budget bassist' post='461740' date='Apr 14 2009, 12:25 AM']it's personal opinion really, but i think my opinions on 'relic'd' basses is well voiced on here. Though i do want to try a sandberg out, one with mm pickups specifically.[/quote]

Hi BB, I'm the proud owner of a Cali MM 5 string (bubinga top) and I absolutely love it. A very versatile instrument (tonally) and easy to play with reasonably narrow string spacing. If ever you're up in the North east, you're welcome to try her.

Steve.