Why become a member? ×

My New Tony Franklin Fretless P - Videos and Pics

wateroftyne

Hi all

This is an ongoing saga.. I have a factory fretless '71 P (he's called Pietro) which has, over the years, become part of my right arm.

The GAS set in a while ago, and I bought a Fretless Tony Franklin to get the benefit of the J pickup. It was lovely, but... I decided I didn't need the J pickup after all. So I sold it straight away and kept my '71.

Roll on a couple of years, the GAS has got the better of me again - maybe I do need a J pickup? - so I bought another Franklin. It arrived a couple of days ago.

Like the last one, it's absolutely lovely. I'm getting on with the shallow, wide neck better than I did last time, the ebony board is beautiful, and it sounds great.

BUT... do I like it enough to part with my beloved 71'? At the moment, I just don't know.

Here's some pics:

Pretty, isn't it? it makes my '71 look anaemic. I wish they'd tint the necks, though!

It's incredibly well made, and a lovely weight.

How does it compare to my '71 tonally?

Well, here's a couple of clips. These were recorded using my camera's onboard mic. Both basses are strung with ancient La Bella flats, and they have similar action (medium/low). Hit the HQ button if you can - It really brings out the shoddiness of my playing.

First up, here's ol' faithful '71:

...and here's Mr. Franklin. It's a longer clip, 'cos I go through each pickup config. P, PJ and J.

As you can hear, the solo'd P pickups on each sound [b]very[/b] uprighty (IMO). There's a lot of mwaah going on each as well... bear in mind these are ancient flats. With zingy rounds these would sing... especially the J pickup on the Franklin. The J pup on the Franklin adds a huge colour to the tonal palette.

So... after all this, am I going to stick or twist?

The answer... I don't know.

I have a few gigs and rehearsals next week, and I'll do a lot of A/Bing. At the moment, I just don't see how I could sell my '71, especially now I have the Berg cabs. They bring out so much detail that I didn't get previously. The TF may just be passing through. We'll see...!

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='459287' date='Apr 10 2009, 01:55 PM']Not sure if you want to hear it Michael, but I actually prefer the sound of the Franklin. I didn't think I would but it just has more growl which is what I go for.[/quote]
Cheers, OHM!

Yeah... I think that'll be the ebony doing it's bit, I think. It'll be interesting to see how that translates in a band mix...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='459280' date='Apr 10 2009, 01:50 PM']I'm not quite in Ed's league. ha ha.

...let me know what you would do.. stick or twist? :)[/quote]

Personally I'd stick, Michael. If you want a Bass that 'does' three different sounds, go for the TF, but IMHO the '71 beats it hands down on what it does best-sounding like a '71 P. I A/B'd them on a couple of laptops at the same time, and the '71 just has more 'soul.'

Only my opinion, though. Keep trying them out until YOU decide which one is better for exactly what YOU want it for. :D (Grammatical poo, but you know what I mean) :rolleyes:

I think you know in your heart which you prefer and I think it's the '71. Ok, it's got a smaller tonal palette but to me, the sound is sweeter, warmer and it seems to have more personality, more syrup, more hair, more smell. Whether that translates in a band setting, I don't know. The funny thing is though, that you look more comfortable and confident on the Franklin in these clips. It would make more sense to keep that because it's more versatile and it'll serve you really well. But, if you want a serious relationship ..

I must say that I actually prefer the sound of the P pickup solo'ed on the Franklin to the '71. The very fact that you have at least two totally different sounds on top of that from the J solo and P/J together adds yet more sonic value IMO. So, in my opinion:

Twist! :)

I was wondering when you would post something to announce it's arrival! - I'm glad you bought the ebay one after all as I think my mind is made up now, especially in light of this note my girlfriend stuck on the fridge :)

[attachment=23579:note.jpg]

I think you need to spend some time using it in a band situation. That certainly helped me make my mind up. Keep us informed how you get on

J

The TF seems to have more sustain and I was picking up a dead spot on the 71 too. How about stringing the TF with rounds? That would allow you to exploit that j pickup a little better and you'd have both bright and thumpy sounding fretlesses.

Keep them both. As CK suggests, use rounds on the TF to get the best out of the JPUP and keep some flats on the '71. That way you'vetwo completely different sounding basses. Otherwise whatever you sell you'll, wish you hadn't.
Chris

Thanks for your input, folks!

[quote name='Legion' post='459341' date='Apr 10 2009, 02:44 PM']I'm glad you bought the ebay one after all as I think my mind is made up now, especially in light of this note my girlfriend stuck on the fridge :)[attachment=23579:note.jpg][/quote]

Ha ha.. that's mint. I'm glad I didn't buy yours. I'd feel like crap now. :rolleyes:

RIGHT... one thing I have realised is that - and I knew this already, really - J pups just don't do it for me. My heart lies in solo'd P URB-ysville. I must tattoo this on my hand.

Which of these two does it better? Hmm... the board on the Franklin is smoother and denser, and more defined, but.... Pietro is my pal, and I think he sounds 'woodier'. But then, the Franklin might totally excel in a band environment... thankfully I have a few gigs next week so I have plenty of time to experiment...

I may yet pick up an Ebony or Ebonal neck and swap the '71s neck out instead...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='459681' date='Apr 10 2009, 10:58 PM']RIGHT... one thing I have realised is that - and I knew this already, really - J pups just don't do it for me. My heart lies in solo'd P URB-ysville.[/quote]

So I don't quite see why you bought the TF, especially as that's what you said about it last time around :)

The '71 has more of an URB tone to my ear.

[quote name='Beedster' post='459684' date='Apr 10 2009, 11:05 PM']So I don't quite see why you bought the TF, especially as that's what you said about it last time around :)[/quote]

I'm a slow learner.

[quote name='Beedster' post='459684' date='Apr 10 2009, 11:05 PM']The '71 has more of an URB tone to my ear.[/quote]

I think so, too... especially though those Bergs. They've really brought it to life.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='459686' date='Apr 10 2009, 11:09 PM']I'm a slow learner.[/quote]

You and me both! Given I've owned 15 Precisions I've been effectively buying and selling the same bass for years!

Probably irrelevant, but in the first pic the TF looks like it's made from plastic compared to the '71 :)

I think it could be an aesthetic issue you have, I think looks are very important to you. I much prefer the look of an ebony board, rosewood fretlesses don't look right to me. Are you really after a look, not a sound? Praying you can find the bass you love looking at and which sounds like your '71? I think you have your sound already, and it's in your '71. Maybe your rosewood board is the problem.