Why become a member? ×

Pinky problem

Jeff29361

Hi guys, I've been playing for 26 years and on Monday I had my first lesson, I wanted to address my floating pinky, he has given me so e scales to practice and I'm really improving already but I am getting pain in my pinky and wrist, is this just me building strength or am I doing something wrong?

Potentially doing something wrong - get him to check your posture next lesson. Could also be the move back from unconscious competence (albeit with a floating pinky) to conscious incompetence (with a controlled pinky) and you adding to much pressure, stressing your hand muscles to keep it under control. Also give yourself a little time as your experience is making you impatient with your physiology.

3 hours ago, Jeff29361 said:

I'll ask him next time, the scales he is teaching 1 fret 1 finger, is that wrong?

If you are having problems with 1FPF you should switch to 1-2-4 fingering. It cuts out the stretching. Also reposition your thumb, ie move your hand, so that your fingers are always over the note you want to play. Don't stretch. Any technique that is causing you pain is wrong. Your teacher should know this and should change his advice.

• Like 3

Agree with above comments and suggestions. When I started cello 10 years ago, I got problems in my left elbow and shoulder. This was due to squeezing the neck, particularly with the thumb. My hands are not large and I find 1FPF at the nut challenging.

No help for the OP but I had a left pinky problem on Wednesday - spilled lava hot soup on it straight from the microwave.  There might have been an MF or two uttered.  20 mins under the cold tap and lukewarm soup - this endeavour was totally not worth it.

Thankfully the scald was not on the fingertip so although it's still sensitive I am still able to play.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, chris_b said:

If you are having problems with 1FPF you should switch to 1-2-4 fingering. It cuts out the stretching. Also reposition your thumb, ie move your hand, so that your fingers are always over the note you want to play. Don't stretch. Any technique that is causing you pain is wrong. Your teacher should know this and should change his advice.

Hi Chris, could you expand on this, please? I've got a spot of arthritis in my pinky now and finding 1FPF nearly impossible.  Forgive my ignorance, but what is 1-2-4 fingering?

Thanks xx

37 minutes ago, Seashell2 said:

Hi Chris, could you expand on this, please? I've got a spot of arthritis in my pinky now and finding 1FPF nearly impossible.  Forgive my ignorance, but what is 1-2-4 fingering?

Thanks xx

Shell, suggest you get turmeric tablets with black pepper extract. After about a month you can really feel difference 

turmeric is an anti inflammatory and black pepper extract aids absorption 

24 minutes ago, Seashell2 said:

Thanks xx

1-2-4 means Index, middle and pinky.

So instead of trying to cover 4 frets with a finger span, which is what 1FPF would do, you cover 3 frets, or root (index) and octave (pinky). 1FPF is basically a guitar technique. On a bass it can work higher up the neck, where the frets are closer together, but lower down the larger spaces between frets can require stretching to reach some notes. If you have shovel hands you can cover more area  but most of us don't and need a technique that makes playing easier, less tiring and the lines flow more easily.  1-2-4 does that.

Also, make sure your thumb (and whole hand) easily moves up and down the neck. If you anchor your thumb you will have to stretch to reach some notes, but if your thumb follows your fingers your whole hand will be moving and it will make your playing less stressful.

+1 for the turmeric.

• Like 5

When using 1-2-4 (or Simandl), you can use fingers 3 & 4 together as a pair.

1FPF on lower frets is both unnecessary and uncomfortble for most players.

And don't forget open strings - there are four (or perhaps more) notes that are easily available in any position with no left hand fingering required.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EssentialTension said:

If you need one of those you must be playing bridge cables instead of bass strings.

Nah. Ive fairly big hands and in 4 decades of guitar playing hadn't had to stretch at all.  

When I switched to bass at 50 my hands are big enough to use the pinky well, but never really having had to do so before my pinky was as weak as the Italjan navy.

As a consequence was I trying to compensate by gripping harder, and thus getting aches in much the manner the OP describes.  Not debikitating, but annoying.

I mentioned this in passing to a chap I know who is a guitar tutor and straight away he identified the problem.

I bought the grip, and after a few months of suffering finally saw an improvement in about 10 days as the weakling pinky manned itself up an - along with everyrhing else - and I could gradually ease the death grip when playing songs with a wider range. I can now blat out My Sharona with much pinky actuon and no aching.

Edited by Bassfinger

6 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Nah. Ive fairly big hands and in 4 decades of guitar playing hadn't had to stretch at all.  

When I switched to bass at 50 my hands are big enough to use the pinky well, but never really having had to do so before my pinky was as weak as the Italjan navy.

As a consequence was I trying to compensate by gripping harder, and thus getting aches in much the manner the OP describes.  Not debikitating, but annoying.

I mentioned this in passing to a chap I know who is a guitar tutor and straight away he identified the problem.

I bought the grip, and after a few months of suffering finally saw an improvement in about 10 days as the weakling pinky manned itself up an - along with everyrhing else - and I could gradually ease the death grip when playing songs with a wider range. I can now blat out My Sharona with much pinky actuon and no aching.

Have you seen the Phil X version of My Sharona, just awesome, I learned to play it along to this version.

On 04/03/2022 at 12:54, chris_b said:

1-2-4 means Index, middle and pinky.

So instead of trying to cover 4 frets with a finger span, which is what 1FPF would do, you cover 3 frets, or root (index) and octave (pinky). 1FPF is basically a guitar technique. On a bass it can work higher up the neck, where the frets are closer together, but lower down the larger spaces between frets can require stretching to reach some notes. If you have shovel hands you can cover more area  but most of us don't and need a technique that makes playing easier, less tiring and the lines flow more easily.  1-2-4 does that.

Also, make sure your thumb (and whole hand) easily moves up and down the neck. If you anchor your thumb you will have to stretch to reach some notes, but if your thumb follows your fingers your whole hand will be moving and it will make your playing less stressful.

+1 for the turmeric.

Scott’s Bass Lessons had a great video on this…