Why become a member? ×

Wanting to identify my old Japanese bass

BassManBubba

This maxon pickup cover is the only thing I have left, besides the body, and neck. The body of the bass was designed after the Fender P bass. It has the telecaster headstock. The pickgaurd is the Pbass pickgaurd. Except it had a cutout for the Maxon humbucker pickup. I've done some research on it. I have found out that it was born sometime in the early 70's, and it was called a teler bass. It was like the Pbass, and the telecaster bass had a child. Would anyone on this site have an idea of I could have? 

16457587982703044939388466957816.jpg

16457588667411017299610768574286.jpg

I don't at the moment. I have to go see if it still at my niece's house. But, the photo Antoria Tele Bass posted is identical to mine. Except for the headstock is the fender telecaster headstock, and a single Maxon humbucker pickup. Everything else is the same. I'll try my best to either to get to my niece's and get snap a picture. Or find the picture of me with the bass. 

5 hours ago, BassManBubba said:

I took the coils out. To see exactly what was inside the pickup. Then had to move really quick. Because, my house had been in foreclosure. I didn't have a chance to grab it. I'm hoping that I can find another bobbin for it. 

Well, for one, it was never a humbucker. Those pole pieces were for show only; the pickup itself was single coil.

You have a niece? Can you call on her to get the bass? And why 'snap a picture'? Isn't the bass your bass??

Edited by NikNik

A lot of early 70s Precision & Jazz copies used these 8-pole Maxons - at the time they started being used (71-ish) there were no accurate P or J copy pickups being made, and they would have been hidden under chrome ashtray cover anyway.

I've never seen a 70s P copy with a Tele headstock, and conversely I don't think I can remember any of the Tele bass types using the Maxon 8-pole unit, these tended to have little chrome Telecaster pickups. That said, the UK market during the 70s copy era was a bit more conservative than the States - US brands such as Univox, Sigma & Ampeg produced some fairly bizarre hybrid takes on popular designs in the early 70s.

I'm inclined to think the OP's bass was something like that, but since pics seem to be a problem, I guess we may never know...

On 26/02/2022 at 10:48, BreadBin said:

I'm a big fan of that preview photo!

I should think so too! :D 😎

• Like 2

I used to have a bass that I put a Seymour Duncan pickup in. I sold the bass but kept the Seymour Duncan. 

Can anyone identify the bass from a picture of the SD pickup? 

I don't have a picture of the pickup BTW. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5