Why become a member? ×

New bass bridge designs part 2 ... solving all bridge problem that doesn't exist ??

Sidlanir

• Sidlanir changed the title to New bass bridge designs part 2 ... solving all bridge problem that doesn't exist ??
2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Just a note that this topic has started as the previous post was locked for offensive language and arguments, lets not go the same way here

I'll take very care about my wordings & will hurt no one !

I'll only show a few different bass bridges who have been very ingenious engineered ....

• Like 1

After having read the description of the inventor of the RML Torpedo bass bridge, I see that its accurate engineered & the bass stings have a large ( long) contact points inside the Torpedo. The string height adjustment is IMO very clever solved.

Okay its not a one to one replacement bass bridge but would be great on new basses from bass builders....Snip20220220_9.thumb.png.afc81957de421f7fc93d7213cddabbd4.png

• Like 1

I think the main reason to go for these non-traditional designs are aesthetic.

IMO most would look incongruous on most basses, and from what I've seen they are usually on basses that have also been designed with similar aesthetics in mind.

I think it's difficult to know if they would make any tonal difference, and to what extent, unless you tried them all out on the same bass, and would the difference be noticeable in any meaningful way to the average player.

I imagine wood choice, construction and electronics would influence the sound to a far greater degree, especially on solid body instruments.

I don't think the bridge designs of orchestral stringed instruments have changed much in centuries? They are fairly low tech by comparison, but clearly effective?

Like most things, people will buy or form opinions (positive or snarky/mocking as seen on the other thread), based how how it looks.

4 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I like this... With the added advantage of no magnetic pickups! (btw, I've got one of these and it's excellent)

I do like the idea of the ... lightwave? is it?

Be interested to try one - there was one at bass direct for ages, was sort of tempted but wihout hearing it hard to say.

I am very happy with the Ibanez EHB bridge, has forward back, up down, side to side and is very solid in use. Or even the general monorails that they do.

• Like 1

Here's the old Traben gimmick: the entire scratchplate is metal and is part of the bridge to "add sustain". Actually the tailpiece is bolted to the scratchplate so it's not truly a one-piece affair. I can't tell any obvious advantage with my Traben but it's a pleasant bass to play.

IMG-20170228-WA0001.thumb.jpg.f10fe1f546da8509703d54dabe4cef7d.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

lightwave?

Yup!

A Sabre fretless is the one I've got... Does every mwah tone you could want, as well as rockabilly thwacking using the piezo plus optical pickups. I bought it on spec from BassDirect when it was about a grand... Even did a punk gig with it!

14 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

A Sabre fretless is the one I've got... Does every mwah tone you could want, as well as rockabilly thwacking using the piezo plus optical pickups. I bought it on spec from BassDirect when it was about a grand... Even did a punk gig with it!

I would have thought just doing a punk gig with a fretless in the first place was pretty good!

I just looked, bass direct still have the 5 string, but I am currently saving my money for something specific.

Aside from looking very pleasant, none of these appear to offer anything that the ubiquitous BBoT provides, provides well  and provides at a brilliant low price. 

The BBoT is simplicity, functionality and e engineering elegance personified.

Do you good folks think that it is cost, or no gain in utility that holds back these alternative designs?

• Like 1

Some very pleasing designs, and I think that's rather the point with these. With the torpedo design, it's a pity the protruding ball-ends are visible - IMO they spoil the aesthetic. You'd think it would be simple enough to have them sit inside a recess at the end of the unit to conceal them.

• Like 1

I dont fancy the the Torpedos, but i do like those RML claw bridges.

Better this and better that ?  Not bothered really, as a lot of people buy stuff that looks good, and not necessarily that it has be an improvement, so i'd buy the claw regardless

From an engineering perspective I'm not even sure that some of these designs function all that well as bridges. Looks will do it for me too, but only if it's not a retrograde step in holding strings at an accurate height and in consistent intonation. If the design introduces an oppotunity for flex and rotational movement (no names, see if you can work it out) then the appearance alone wont sell it to me.

• Like 1

The torpedo bridge looks attractive, at least on the right bass, and if you can get past the annoying presentation of the bloke in the Youtube video on the website, pretty simple to fit. Unlike other bridge swaps, it's not really reversible because of the holes drilled through the body. The sliding post that the bridge sits on looks quite substantial so it will probably only flex a bit, and only tilt in the tube that it runs in a bit and not seize very much at all, and as long as you use a really really long allen key/screwdriver, the body of the bass won't get in the way of intonation adjustment. It's very expensive as well (and don't compare the price with the ABM headless system, you need to throw in a set of tuners to make the cost comparable). I won't be putting it on any of my basses, I like them too much.