Why become a member? ×

Cabs with most 'punch'

40hz

I've tried to do a search on this, but I can't seem to find anything specific to this question.

What would, in your experience, you say were the punchiest cab type/brand/size? 

I'll be changing up cabs soon, and aside from weight, the thing that matters most to me, isn't deep bass, hi-fi sizzle, or necessarily loudness, it's the ability for the speakers to really 'thump' and project notes with really noticeable force.

In the past 19 years, I've owned all sorts of different cabs, but the closest I got to the sound in my head was a pair of 2x10 TC K-Series cabs, stacked vertically (but I still wanted more). Cabs I've used include Vanderkley, Gallien-Krueger, Trace, Ashdown, Markbass and Warwick.

I'm thinking the answer might just be more speakers?

Any suggestions or info that could help direct me? 

Edited by 40hz

13 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

With that variety of cabs I'm amazed you haven't found it.

Does the amp you are using have enough headroom?

Are you over compressing the signal?

I agree! Maybe I'm chasing something unrealistic.

The heads I use are a 600w Mesa Boogie M-Pulse and a 550w TC BH550. Neither want for headroom or volume, and will both comfortably go louder than I've ever needed.

Compression-wise, I use a Seymour Duncan Studio Bass. I don't crank it in normal playing - usually around 50% as a subtle addition. This is one thing that seems to add some 'thump'.

I’ve always found that the most punchy set ups are those with a lot of 10s. I’m aware that speaker size doesn’t count before the comments come, it’s just that I’ve not been fortunate enough to play through eight 12s or eight 15s, so by way of experience eight 10s have been punchiest. That said an Ashdown 2x15 was pretty decent too.

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve always found that the most punchy set ups are those with a lot of 10s. I’m aware that speaker size doesn’t count before the comments come, it’s just that I’ve not been fortunate enough to play through eight 12s or eight 15s, so by way of experience eight 10s have been punchiest. That said an Ashdown 2x15 was pretty decent too.

I suspect multiple drivers might be the answer. Just trying to see if there is a way round having to go 6x10 and beyond!  I love the idea of a giant cab, but the sheer weight of most of them rules them out, more or less.

Edited by 40hz

28 minutes ago, 40hz said:

I suspect multiple drivers might be the answer. Just trying to see if there is a way round having to go 6x10 and beyond!  I love the idea of a giant cab, but the sheer weight of most of them rules them out, more or less.

Think you’re on the right track with the idea of six or eight tens. Barefaced and Markbass do some which aren’t crazy weight wise amongst others. My old SVT 810 rig was the punchiest rig I’ve ever used, been chasing that sound with smaller stuff for years but to no avail. 😕

• Like 1

Surely the first thing we have to ascertain what 'punchy' actually means; I've seen and heard it used tons, 'Oh, that sounds punchy,' but the word in isolation means zero.  It's not like adding bass, middle or treble to your signal path...nobody ever says, 'Turn up the the punchy control.'

Everyone here will have an opinion, but they're only going to be citing what's good on their ears and achievable from the gear they've used or seen used, so you'll get an opinion on just about every enclosure from 4x8s up to 1x18s, and/or combinations thereof.  Cabinets are just one part of your signal chain; everything therein will contribute towards what you quantify as 'punch', from the end of your fingers to the air that moves a millisecond later.  Your opinion of 'punch' will change from room to room, even cabinet positioning inside the same room.

• Like 3

Unlike other words used to describe tonal aspects, I actually think punch is a fairly easy one to identify, myself. 🤷‍♂️

It's the actual 'thump' and strong sensation of air/volume moved with each note. A noticeable attack to each plucked (or slapped) note. That hit in the back you get, standing in front of a cab.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 40hz said:

Unlike other words used to describe tonal aspects, I actually think punch is a fairly easy one to identify, myself. 🤷‍♂️

It's the actual 'thump' and strong sensation of air/volume moved with each note. A noticeable attack to each plucked (or slapped) note. That hit in the back you get, standing in front of a cab.

I'm going to be that guy...

If the bass is in the PA - is it actually important?

2 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I'm going to be that guy...

If the bass is in the PA - is it actually important?

Completely agree, but I probably do about 30% of my gigs going through the PA. Total overkill in most small to medium(ish) venues.

• Like 1

Cabs are the final link in the chain and can only produce what goes into them. The instrument - together with string gauge/type and playing style -  and amplification largely determine how much punch you get. I've heard bass players that had plenty of punch using pretty well all the cab brands you mention. What instrument and amp' are you using? 

Just now, Dan Dare said:

Cabs are the final link in the chain and can only produce what goes into them. The instrument - together with string gauge/type and playing style -  and amplification largely determine how much punch you get. I've heard bass players that had plenty of punch using pretty well all the cab brands you mention. What instrument and amp' are you using? 

Modulus Flea Bass + Mesa Boogie M-Pulse / TC BH550. 

11 minutes ago, 40hz said:

I'll admit I was suprised to see the BH550.

What is the tone in your head?  A close approximation will suffice.  You mentioned this in your OP.  What are your current cab(s)?  What style of music do you play?

Punch? Is it a German drink, maybe?

Mesa 400+ was so heavy in sound, that the cab became meaningless. Nearly any cab sounded good. But the weight...

EQ is the player's tool. If you are not able to tweak it, get someone, who is able. Settings at noon DO NOT MEAN FLAT. Every manufacturer decides the sound to their amps, so if you want flat, try some music from CD or similar through your rig. How does it sound? How much do you have to tweak the settings to get something out that is even close to your headphones sound?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40hz said:

M Pulse 360 or 600? If the larger one, I would expect it to have plenty of wallop. I wouldn't expect the TC to, though. It's claimed to give 550w into 4 ohms (and TC are known for being optimistic with their quoted power ratings), which is not great. You need plenty of headroom for weight of sound.

You mention that you might need more cabs. As others suggest, 4x10 or equivalent would be the minimum (and you say you liked two 2x10s, so that's a good starting point).

What are you using? Really, the only way is to visit a well stocked shop and try stuff. As Paul says above, we can only recommend our favourites. I'm a PJB user, but I don't know if they would suit you. They can be very punchy, but you need a lot of them and plenty of amplifier power because they are so inefficient. That can work out a bit expensive.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

M Pulse 360 or 600? If the larger one, I would expect it to have plenty of wallop. I wouldn't expect the TC to, though. It's claimed to give 550w into 4 ohms (and TC are known for being optimistic with their quoted power ratings), which is not great. You need plenty of headroom for weight of sound.

You mention that you might need more cabs. As others suggest, 4x10 or equivalent would be the minimum (and you say you liked two 2x10s, so that's a good starting point).

What are you using? Really, the only way is to visit a well stocked shop and try stuff. As Paul says above, we can only recommend our favourites. I'm a PJB user, but I don't know if they would suit you. They can be very punchy, but you need a lot of them and plenty of amplifier power because they are so inefficient. That can work out a bit expensive.

It's the M-Pulse 600. It sounds absolutely huge and the semi parametric EQ it has, is incredibly useful. I'm a big fan of them. The TC isn't far behind (the BH550 series doesn't have the same goosed ratings the RH series has due to the compression, it's a true 550w).

I'm currently running an Epifani UL210, which is wonderfully warm, with a clear midrange (it displays this on both bass heads), so I really dig that tonality a lot, unfortunately getting anything Epifani in the UK is impossible now (aside from 2nd hand obviously).

Band wise, it's soul-pop, funk for the covers and Talking Heads-esque indie for my originals.

I am very happy with my sound in general and don't want for 'loudness', and I'm sure the punch I get, is respectable to most. I just wondered if there was anything beyond it, as it's my most desired tonal goal I suppose. Sounds like more speakers is the way forward.

I've always been interested in the PJB stuff, the C8 looks great. I live 20 mins from Bass Direct, I guess I should just go and demo a load of stuff soon! Just looking for opinions and experiences people have had with cabs and brands, beforehand.