Why become a member? ×

Scott walker

YouMa

[quote name='YouMa' post='457893' date='Apr 8 2009, 09:22 PM']Is anybody on here into the stuff Scott Walker from the Walker brothers did,i really like the production.Anybody with me on this or am i still the fairly young man into old mans music?[/quote]

No mate, you're not on your own. Outstanding singer. Probably the best thing around at the time and not many since can match that voice. He went a bit weird in later years going all experimental with blokes banging watering cans and waste bins in the studio but the voice was still there. Most will call it old hat but when you hear Sun ain't gonna shine anymore, it can still get the old neck hairs rising. It was right up there with PJ Proby's Maria. And as you say, the productions were great, and BIG.

[quote name='leschirons' post='457974' date='Apr 8 2009, 10:41 PM']No mate, you're not on your own. Outstanding singer. Probably the best thing around at the time and not many since can match that voice. He went a bit weird in later years going all experimental with blokes banging watering cans and waste bins in the studio but the voice was still there. Most will call it old hat but when you hear Sun ain't gonna shine anymore, it can still get the old neck hairs rising. It was right up there with PJ Proby's Maria. And as you say, the productions were great, and BIG.[/quote]

Come back wall of sound! Phil is innocent hes just a nutter! And Chirons big up from a fellow pink fairies fan,listened to nevernever land tonight,scorching.........

Edited by YouMa

[quote name='YouMa' post='457893' date='Apr 8 2009, 10:22 PM']Is anybody on here into the stuff Scott Walker from the Walker brothers did,i really like the production.Anybody with me on this or am i still the fairly young man into old mans music?[/quote]
Great voice and some fabulous solo albums.. I've always liked his take on Jacques Brel songs too.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='457989' date='Apr 8 2009, 10:59 PM']Great voice and some fabulous solo albums.. I've always liked his take on Jacques Brel songs too.[/quote]

+10 for great voice,him and morrison had that lovely gravel. I still like no regrets a lot. And my mum loves him. Im into scott4 at the moment.

Edited by YouMa

[quote name='leschirons' post='457974' date='Apr 8 2009, 11:41 PM']No mate, you're not on your own. Outstanding singer. Probably the best thing around at the time and not many since can match that voice. .......... Most will call it old hat but when you hear Sun ain't gonna shine anymore, it can still get the old neck hairs rising.[/quote]

I'm loving it :) in fact I think I need to fire up the old music system now! :rolleyes:

[quote name='OldGit' post='458002' date='Apr 9 2009, 12:14 AM']No Regrets is one of my top tunes - brilliant arrangement and production and that rich baritone :) Splendid![/quote]

Ooooh Si - I think I love you ( but now I feel obliged to say - but I wanna know for sure :rolleyes: )

They don't make 'em like that anymore :D

Totally +1
That man had a voice in a billion. My all time faves have always been 'No Regrets' along with 'My Ship Is Coming In'.
I love the Jaques Brel stuff too.
When my bass grows up, it wants to have a 'voice' like Scott Walker's! :)

[quote name='YouMa' post='457979' date='Apr 8 2009, 10:48 PM']Come back wall of sound! Phil is innocent hes just a nutter! And Chirons big up from a fellow pink fairies fan,listened to nevernever land tonight,scorching.........[/quote]

sh*t, now you've said that, I'll have to get it out tonight. (the album that is, ooh matron) Had this on my PC. It's yer boys I think unless I've titled it wrong.

And, brave attempt from Marc Almond with Jaki but he should have left it alone. Can't top Scott Walker for that one.

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' post='458007' date='Apr 9 2009, 12:20 AM']Ooooh Si - I think I love you ( but now I feel obliged to say - but I wanna know for sure :rolleyes: )

They don't make 'em like that anymore :D[/quote]

Ooooooh Now you tell me!
.. even if its the pedal steel bit at the end that I love?
:)

PS the Midge Ure Friday Night Karaoke "Stars on 45 Edit" of No Regrets should be avoided at all costs, not even a pale imitation of the Walker's one, or the original.

Edited by OldGit

Guest Lee Van Cleef

Fabulous songwriter/singer. I finally got around to seeing 30 Century Man recently and it was a great insight into the man, and hearing him describe what happened in his own words was fascinating, as was seeing him in the studio doing what he does.

Makes me want to go and listen to "Scott" all over again. Mathilde, Montague Terrace and My Death... wow.

[quote name='endorka' post='458031' date='Apr 9 2009, 01:14 AM']Scott Walker = genius. I'm going to listen to Tilt right now.

Do I hear... 21?[/quote]
I'll give you 21... 21... 21...

Quite simply one of the best albums ever. And I've said it before, but I'll say it again: outstanding bass work from Mo Foster on [i]Climate of Hunter[/i].

Back to the Walker Brothers... yes, superb, love them. My favourite could probably come under the "secret shame" thread, it's so cheesy: We're All Alone. The ultimate proto-power-ballad.