Why become a member? ×

1961 Fender Precision Bass (Ex-Entwhistle?)

NikNik

So the provenance is that  in 1968 someone in a shop told the current owner that John Entwistle pxd this bass. And the bass itself has been  refinished, repaired and modified, so it's compromised as a vintage instrument in its own right.

1968 is a long time ago and people's recollections can be unreliable, as can the information they were given at that time. I am sure that the seller is sincere in his belief that this instrument is as described, but for ten grand you need to be able to prove what you say, or else find a very trusting buyer. If I were in the market for a vintage Precision Bass I would pass on this one for all the obvious reasons, especially if I was after a celebrity-owned example.

I remember going to the Bass Center back in the 1980s and they had several of John Entwistle's basses for sale, complete with signed certificates of authenticity. And they were reasonably priced from what I remember. Back in those days I wanted a shiny brand new bass with active electronics, and I thought to myself that if John Entwistle didn't want these basses why would I have them palmed off on me? In retrospect, that might not have been my best ever decision.

• Like 9

57 minutes ago, Misdee said:

So the provenance is that  in 1968 someone in a shop told the current owner that John Entwistle pxd this bass. And the bass itself has been  refinished, repaired and modified, so it's compromised as a vintage instrument in its own right.

1968 is a long time ago and people's recollections can be unreliable, as can the information they were given at that time. I am sure that the seller is sincere in his belief that this instrument is as described, but for ten grand you need to be able to prove what you say, or else find a very trusting buyer. If I were in the market for a vintage Precision Bass I would pass on this one for all the obvious reasons, especially if I was after a celebrity-owned example.

I remember going to the Bass Center back in the 1980s and they had several of John Entwistle's basses for sale, complete with signed certificates of authenticity. And they were reasonably priced from what I remember. Back in those days I wanted a shiny brand new bass with active electronics, and I thought to myself that if John Entwistle didn't want these basses why would I have them palmed off on me? In retrospect, that might not have been my best ever decision.

I actually bought 3 of these basses. A sunburst '61, a white refin '62 (JE did it himself over sunburst) and a '53. The '61 was really not a good one! Still, it only cost £575.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

Same here re Bass Centre. Must have been '86. They had about 7 or 8 on show. Most were Precisions.

2 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

There was a spot where he'd dabbed on some black paint to hide a ding. The worst aspect was that the bottom E was just dead. New strings, nothing made a difference.

Maybe I was wiser than I thought in my assumption that if they weren't good enough for John, they weren't good enough for me.😄

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...