Why become a member? ×

New Joe Dart Bass (EBMM JJ!)

acidbass

1 minute ago, fretmeister said:

You're a member of a forum that celebrates all elements of bass. From their invention / construction / development... all the way through to playing them and enjoying the music of others who play them.

"They Live" was not a documentary.

they-live-3.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

If that is what you see when should be thinking about things that encourage / inspire / please you, then you are not going to do your health any good at all.

Compare the traffic of the Basses forum to Technique. Carpenter's "They Live" was based on Neo-liberalism. The worship of consumerism.

"Banker Paul Mazur of Lehman Brothers saw the way forward: "We must shift America from a needs, to a desires culture. People must be trained to desire, to want new things even before the old had been entirely consumed. We must shape a new mentality in America. Man's desires must overshadow his needs."

Paul Mazur, 1920s.

Just now, Grimalkin said:

Compare the traffic of the Basses forum to Technique. Carpenter's "They Live" was based on Neo-liberalism. The worship of consumerism.

"Banker Paul Mazur of Lehman Brothers saw the way forward: "We must shift America from a needs, to a desires culture. People must be trained to desire, to want new things even before the old had been entirely consumed. We must shape a new mentality in America. Man's desires must overshadow his needs."

Paul Mazur, 1920s.

Did you join the forum to just try to lecture middle aged men about what they should do with their money?

Good luck with that.

Innocent posting about a potentially new bass release from MM goes south really quickly. This seems to be what BC threads do now and makes me sad. Different strokes for different folks people, just because someone doesn't like what you like, doesn't invalidate the pleasure that you derive from it (or wish to name it). Take a breath, please.

As to the potential for a new JD MM bass, I feel, perhaps somewhat cynically, that it's potentially just another Jack Stratton/Sterling Ball ploy to prise money from people's wallets, but I guess that it is show 'business' and EBMM are there to make money. I should just get over my dislike for Jack Stratton.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Innocent posting about a potentially new bass release from MM goes south really quickly. This seems to be what BC threads do now and makes me sad. Different strokes for different folks people, just because someone doesn't like what you like, doesn't invalidate the pleasure that you derive from it (or wish to name it). Take a breath, please.

As to the potential for a new JD MM bass, I feel, perhaps somewhat cynically, that it's potentially just another Jack Stratton/Sterling Ball ploy to prise money from people's wallets, but I guess that it is show 'business' and EBMM are there to make money. I should just get over my dislike for Jack Stratton.

Yes, there seems to have been a real change in the general tone of discussions. It might be a result of the pandemic, or perhaps people are eating too many bags of these.

8A354B34-7DDC-40B7-A3FE-85C37DB47E32.jpeg

I think it's just Stratton being a business person in the guitar industry.
My understanding is that they (Stratton/Dart/Vulfpeck) buy the production for x amount of basses upfront, and then sell them on at a profit.

If you dislike that, in my mind, you dislike the business model of any brand that outsources the production of their instruments.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sibob said:

I think it's just Stratton being a business person in the guitar industry.
My understanding is that they (Stratton/Dart/Vulfpeck) buy the production for x amount of basses upfront, and then sell them on at a profit.

If you dislike that, in my mind, you dislike the business model of any brand that outsources the production of their instruments.

Si

You are right there, Sir. I guess I just want musicians to be creative types and not be involved with the grubby, money side. Of course, they're all involved in that to a greater or lesser degree and I'm just kidding myself if I think otherwise. However, there is something about JS that rubs me the wrong way. I shall learn to live it.

58 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I get why EBMM didn't do a Flea model - because he played stock ones, so what was the point? Or maybe backstage there was an issue that Flea swaps basses live quite a bit and maybe EBMM wanted someone to only play a signature model in a particular environment at the time. 

Who knows!? Only Sterling and Flea probably.

Wasn't it something about Flea wanting Sterling to make him a graphite neck model like the old Cutlass as the neck kept moving when he was touring on different continents but Sterling said no so Flea went to Modulus?

13 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

Wasn't it something about Flea wanting Sterling to make him a graphite neck model like the old Cutlass as the neck kept moving when he was touring on different continents but Sterling said no so Flea went to Modulus?

i had not heard that before. Sounds plausible though.

2 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

This sounds like funk:

This is not, far from it:

It sounds like a bunch of music school students.

I disagree, its breathing new life into funk. Anything that inspires and attracts a new/younger audience is good in my books. Who knows, they may even be curious enough to research the inspirations behind Vulfpeck's music and discover some classic bands.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mrn1989 said:

I disagree, its breathing new life into funk. Anything that inspires and attracts a new/younger audience is good in my books. Who knows, they may even be curious enough to research the inspirations behind Vulfpeck's music and discover some classic bands.

Funk is about space and where to use it, not trying to fill all of it all of the time. No room to breathe... Far from breathing new life into funk, it's suffocating it.

I don't consider Vulpeck to be a legit funk band. If I was asked to recommend something funky, it would't be that. It hasn't got it.

• Haha 3

Ooh! Goody goody!!! Are we doing the 'random quotes' thing again to lamely try to show we know more than others (but actually don't)? 

"My hump, my hump, my hump, my hump
My hump, my hump, my hump, my hump, my hump, my hump
My lovely lady lumps (lump)
My lovely lady lumps my lovely lady lumps (lump)
In the back and in the front
(Lump) My loving got you"

Black Eyed Peas - 'My Humps' 2005

You're welcome......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Just now, cetera said:

Ooh! Goody goody!!! Are we doing the 'random quotes' thing again to lamely try to show we know more than others (but actually don't)? 

You're welcome......

"I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed."

Just because you don't understand them, you don't have to try and rubbish their context...

• Haha 1

Just now, Grimalkin said:

"I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed."

Just because you don't understand them, you don't have to try and rubbish their context...

Really? It's not about understanding them (which I do). It's about the constant quotes which just, well to be honest, make you sound a bit of a pink torpedo.... imho, ymmv, no offense, etc etc

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

Funk is about space and where to use it, not trying to fill all of it all of the time. No room to breathe... Far from breathing new life into funk, it's suffocating it.

I don't consider Vulpeck to be a legit funk band. If I was asked to recommend something funky, it would't be that. It hasn't got it.

There’s not really much point in debating the merit of a band/artist/comedian etc. if they have an audience they have merit. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, cetera said:

Really? It's not about understanding them (which I do). It's about the constant quotes which just, well to be honest, make you sound a bit of a pink torpedo.... imho, ymmv, no offense, etc etc

"

44 minutes ago, cetera said:

You're welcome......

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

Isaac Asimov.

Just replace United States with Britain.

2 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

“The principles underlying propaganda are extremely simple. Find some common desire, some widespread unconscious fear or anxiety; think out some way to relate this wish or fear to the product you have to sell; then build a bridge of verbal or pictorial symbols over which your customer can pass from fact to compensatory dream, and from the dream to the illusion that your product, when purchased, will make the dream come true. They are selling hope."

Aldous Huxley, Brave New World Revisited.

A Joe Dart whatever won't make you play like Joe Dart.

Also look up 'Final Stage Capitalism.' When manufacturers have run out of ideas, they market any old absurdity, to keep the wheels of industry turning.

Thats just how capitalism works.  Just about every corporate monster keeps re-inventing.