Why become a member? ×

Why had I never heard of The Wood Brothers until this year......?

Beedster

So, late May this year with the prospect of lockdown ending I was invited back to my old band to do a series of DB gigs. Absolute pleasure to be playing music with great guys after almost two years out. Problem was that they're not the most organised in terms of sound management and playing a 4/4 DB in what was a pretty chaotic soundscape at times was proving challenging in terms of feedback and hearing myself. I decided I'd get an EUB, and while ideally searching for an SLB-100, I was very happy to find a Clifton, and even happier when the owner offered to drive from Yorkshire to Kent to deliver it in person.

Long story short, we had a great chat, turns out he'd played bass with a lot of musicians I listen to, and it was both entertaining and educational to hear the tales of Nashville perfectionism. I told him a about what we do and he said "Sounds like you're after a Wood Brothers sound", and I seem to recall thinking "Never heard of 'em". He left, and I thought I'd take a quick listen to these guys and see what I think.

Bloody hell!!!!!!! No joke, this was the band I'd been waiting to hear all my life. Lovely bluegrass/Appalachian feel, extraordinary musicianship and some fine songwriting.

And then there's Chris Wood on bass. The first thing I thought was "Wow he's good". Then I thought "Wow, he get's a lot of space in the mix (what a conversation on Talkbass described as high levels of 'acoustic real estate'), but what I really loved is that he plays a very Jazz oriented style in an ostensibly blues/Americana band, and does so with great style and with great technique. 

I tried to find stuff on here and wasn't surprised to find that @Clarky had discovered them years ago 

But it's not just the DB sound he gets, he plays a lot of electric also (a Hofner Violin Bass) with the same style and flair. Do check them out folks, as Clarky suggests, the recorded BD tone is pretty impressive, but so's some of the live playing. Check out some of this for example...

I'll post some more when work eases down a little :) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 2 years later...
On 27/01/2022 at 00:40, Grimalkin said:

A guitarist friend played me the John Scofield album 'A Go Go' not long after it came out in '98. As soon as I heard the rhythm section on the first track I thought it was class. Very organic, great sense of time, lovely feel:

Yep one of my fave JS albums with it's laid back acoustic vibe which contrasts nicely with his Uberjam funky jazz/jazzy funk grooves

On 26/01/2022 at 16:40, Beedster said:

Bloody hell!!!!!!! No joke, this was the band I'd been waiting to hear all my life. Lovely bluegrass/Appalachian feel, extraordinary musicianship and some fine songwriting.

And then there's Chris Wood on bass....

+1 on all that - so pleased to hear that Danny Thompson and John Martyn's style of work is not lost 

...love the guitar repurposed as a Cajon!

29 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Turns out they’re playing about 10 minutes from my house tomorrow for the princely sum of £15.

Damn, and in London tonight but sold out, hope you get to see them Lawrie, would love love to see Chris Wood playing upright in the flesh 👍

55 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Damn, and in London tonight but sold out, hope you get to see them Lawrie, would love love to see Chris Wood playing upright in the flesh 👍

Yeah, mad. The venue is tiny, maybe 200 people. Seems weird they’re here, but I’m glad they are.

Managed to rope a few people in so I’ll let you know what it’s like!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burns-bass said:

Yeah, mad. The venue is tiny, maybe 200 people. Seems weird they’re here, but I’m glad they are.

Have great night mate, they’re still pretty niche hence even London gig is small, but you wouldn’t want to see them in an arena after all! Bit gutted to miss them to be honest 😕

• Like 1

On 06/02/2024 at 18:08, Burns-bass said:

Enjoy the show Lawrie 👍

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

Maybe I’ll treat myself when work picks up. 

I’ve got to say, Geoff does some really incredible content. 

Completely agree, it's a fantastic resource. For me the Chris Wood workshop was as therapeutic as it was instructive 👍

I enjoyed him with MMW for a long time, right from when they did A Go Go with John Scofield. But it's always fun hearing players who are more than capable of being experimental and adventurous focusing their thing on a song-based setting, as he's doing with the Wood Brothers.

I used to be in a band that covered a few Wood Bros songs. I had a Stagg EUB and it was quite nice to learn and play those songs.

Chris has a great sound and style. I can't remember which songs as it was over 10yrs ago now...apart from Make Me Down A Pallet (?) which was a cover of a cover 😁