Why become a member? ×

Colour choice?

JPAC

voted red, don't know why. My main bass is red but I've been looking lustfully at a black stinkray for the last 8 months. As there's a natural finish one next to it and I want the black one then maybe I should have chosen black.

Damn. I want to change to black now. :)

Fretted basses should be black, fretless basses should be white. Therefore your poll is incorrect and you should rethink it and start again. I will help you if you need me to.

As you can see, my fretless is natural wood so I need to have it refinished, any recommendations for a supplier of such a service?

Edited by silddx

[quote name='JPAC' post='457148' date='Apr 8 2009, 10:32 AM']OK green added but here's lots of other colours. :)[/quote]

I was only winding you up. I really do want to make a surf green bass though. I have an idea germinating which involves an old Ibanez (allegedly), Hagstrom pickups and surf green nitrocellulose lacquer.

No direct answer for me. I like natural wood, but I also like to see a sunburst type fade on it as well. I voted fade as I've just bought a jazz bass with sunburst finish and it's the bizz!

Don't like loud colours.

I think that a poll would be better if it had categories like: loud colours, natural finish, traditional/vintage, earthy colours etc rather than specifics.

Depends entirely on the bass.

I think I have pretty much every common colour from natural through to multi-coloured solids (but no Fender-style sunbursts) in my bass collection. However I tend to favour solid metallic/sparkle finishes or transparent over figured wood to bring out the grain.

After two days there seems to be a clear winner, natural wood. My reason for the poll is that I decided on a bass (GSR200FM) only to find out that the colour I wanted, Tri-fade burst (Sunburst) wasn't available in the UK and has now been discontinued as well. This was supposed to be made of mahogany instead of agathis, if that makes a big difference. So the choice for an Ibanez GSR200 was black, red, white or blue. Using the results from this poll, it's not one of the top choices anyway. The search continues, is the SR300FM any good? :)

I reckon there's (often - not always) a correlation between finish and type of music played:

Jazz/funk and sometimes poodle-perm euro rock - natural
Punk, new wave, indie - black or white, patterned
Oldies, soul, indi - sunburst
Bright metallic - metal

Any more?