Why become a member? ×

Freedom to play full time music

AM1

If the tour would pay the mortgage/bills/etc...? I'd do it in a heartbeat.
There are already enough things in my lifetime WIDIWITO list ("Wish I'd Done It When I had The Opportunity") without adding any more.

It's something that plays on my mind, I've always said I'd do it in a heartbeat, but as the years roll on (ripe old age of 24, rapidly approaching my quarter century!!) there's more and more to lose.

I'd be leaving behind my band, a comfortable career with (allegedly) prospects, and most significantly, my girlfriend, who has told me in no uncertain terms that if I was spending x amount of months gallavanting round on tour while she stayed home alone, that'd be the end of the relationship, no questions asked.

Two years ago, I'd have said yes with utmost confidence. Now I'm not so sure :)

[quote name='AM1' post='456971' date='Apr 7 2009, 11:50 PM']This is purely theoretical.

The phone rings tomorrow and you get offered a slot on a tour, but you have to be able to pack a bag and leave in say, a week, learning the basslines along the way.

How many people are in a position to say yes straight away? If not, what would you have to sacrifice in order to say yes?[/quote]

Depends how much dosh it's paying and what guarantees are given...

As with Cetera...

BUT in 12-18 months time,I will have to make the 'Choice',my Boss knows I love music,and he believes I can make it....and is watching my performance at work to see if the gigging causes it to suffer...Financially I could go mad and do it fulltime,Ive the funds available AND we are that good I think we have a damned good shot at the big time.

Will it work?...Dunno,Ive been here before..twice...not many get one shot ,very few get two....This is my third. So maybe something's ment to happen?!?

[quote name='ARGH' post='457626' date='Apr 8 2009, 05:26 PM'][b] AND we are that good I think we have a damned good shot at the big time.[/b][/quote]

Wey Hey.... :)

[attachment=23488:images.jpg]

Good luck with that.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='457063' date='Apr 8 2009, 08:31 AM']Its not theoretical to me...
Not so long ago - i was given 48 hours notice to go to Japan for 4 weeks.
[ 6 hours of the 48 was spent in town getting my visa sorted]
It ment packing bags, sorting out family stuff, oh and sorting out deps.
I was met at Heathrow airport with a copy pad of music for the show and a couple of mini discs and a load of batteries.
I then spent 10 hours on the flight learning the show.
Plus side of this - i got to meet and chat to Paul Jackson in a Music shop... :)

EDIT...
tip, always bring back presents.
I managed to get hold of a Bamboo hoover.

Garry[/quote]

Paul Jackson is the don! That must have been great.

Go on, tell us - who was the gig with? You've played with some serious names before - drop some here. :rolleyes:

[quote]Paul Jackson is the don![/quote]
Then you may be interested in this CD/DVD by my good friend and fellow band-member, Jimmy Copley [url="http://www.jimmycopley.com/"]Slap My Hand[/url]

The live DVD (filmed in Japan) features Paul Jackson.

The CD features PJ, Pino, Jeff Beck and many more. Check out the samples on Jimmy's site.

The CD, while being a studio album, is about as live as you can get, ie. No overdubs (vocals apart) and pretty much first takes.

Steve

Edited by SteveK

Funny thing is I just got asked if I'd do a gig/tour with ahem - an ex-Sugerbabe/Big Brother contestant - but sadly I'm a. not into the music and b. too damn busy with other stuff - not that the bloke who asked me seemed to give a sh*t - according to him I would really regret it... we'll see :)

M

[quote name='urb' post='458468' date='Apr 9 2009, 02:41 PM']Funny thing is I just got asked if I'd do a gig/tour with ahem - an ex-Sugerbabe/Big Brother contestant - but sadly I'm a. not into the music and b. too damn busy with other stuff - not that the bloke who asked me seemed to give a sh*t - according to him I would really regret it... we'll see :)[/quote]

My friend works at her label. Apparently she's unreliable as f*ck. You're right to skip it. She routinely doesn't show up for things. And then there's the music! Butchering a Lenny Kravitz tune and a Ronettes classic.

Incidentally, I was sworn at by a different Sugababe once.

[quote name='The Funk' post='459005' date='Apr 10 2009, 02:10 AM']My friend works at her label. Apparently she's unreliable as f*ck. You're right to skip it. She routinely doesn't show up for things. And then there's the music! Butchering a Lenny Kravitz tune and a Ronettes classic.

Incidentally, I was sworn at by a different Sugababe once.[/quote]

Man I am so glad to hear you say that - it was actually the covers put me off the most - I think her original stuff is quite cool actually - but the record label seems to be - very imaginatively :) - marketing her as a soul-ed up Amy Winehouse... and having witnessed her various mood swings etc on CBB I know I made the right choice. Playing music with people I like and get on with is very important to me - short term fame etc can go **** itself :rolleyes:

M

Coincidental bump.

I've just been offered the chance to play bass full-time in a band that does 3/4 nights per week all over the country. The money is OK, and coupled with the fact I've been offered voluntary redundancy at work, it seemed like a rare alignment of the planets.

..but then I thought about it. I'm in my late 30s with a family, so I need security. No sick pay. I wouldn't take care of myself on the road. I'd be away a lot. I wouldn't be playing music I love.

So, I'm just about to send an email saying 'thanks but no thanks'.

Had they asked me ten years ago, I would have bitten their hands off. Ah, well.