Why become a member? ×

belated NBD. 30" scale Retrovibe 50s Precision (P30)

Paul S

I bought this when David posted pictures on the forum - a seriously bad bout of GAS that I simply couldn't resist!  I decided to go for no scratchplate, which I prefer, rather than have the scratchplate and take it off with the resultant screw holes.  There were a couple of teething problems.  First off and straight out of the box the input jack was shorting out.  Went straight back, issue resolved by return of post.  The first time I used it for any length of time the sound became intermittant.  Guitarist in my band is an electrician and he tested it - the problem was the pickup itself.  I relayed this to David and he sent off a replacement pickup immediately.  And that has sorted that out.  Also the background hum, which I assumed wrongly was because it was a single coil - nope, the new pickup is quiet.

So here it is.  A scaled down, slab-bodied 50s style Precision.  Binding on edges.  30" scale, 38mm nut, telecaster headstock.  A trifling 7lbs.  Single coil pickup.  Now strung with my favoured TI Flats.  Fit and finish are great, hardware is solid.  It is an absolute joy :) I've not had a single coil Precision before and I immediately love the tone.  Full on it is bright and it doesn't take much pushing on the TC Spectradrive clean boost to get a nicely saturated gritty sound that is perfect for my blues rock band.  Perhaps rolled off a touch for the sweetspot.  The neck is sublime in terms of how it feels plus the vintage tint isn't that ghastly shade of turmeric like some.  I can see this being the one I grab first when it comes to gigging as it is just so easy to play.

And of course a huge thank you to David @Bassbadgerwhose customer service has been second to none.

IMG_20211221_104315.jpg

IMG_20211221_104332.jpg

• Like 13

22 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I bought this when David posted pictures on the forum - a seriously bad bout of GAS that I simply couldn't resist!  I decided to go for no scratchplate, which I prefer, rather than have the scratchplate and take it off with the resultant screw holes.  There were a couple of teething problems.  First off and straight out of the box the input jack was shorting out.  Went straight back, issue resolved by return of post.  The first time I used it for any length of time the sound became intermittant.  Guitarist in my band is an electrician and he tested it - the problem was the pickup itself.  I relayed this to David and he sent off a replacement pickup immediately.  And that has sorted that out.  Also the background hum, which I assumed wrongly was because it was a single coil - nope, the new pickup is quiet.

So here it is.  A scaled down, slab-bodied 50s style Precision.  Binding on edges.  30" scale, 38mm nut, telecaster headstock.  A trifling 7lbs.  Single coil pickup.  Now strung with my favoured TI Flats.  Fit and finish are great, hardware is solid.  It is an absolute joy :) I've not had a single coil Precision before and I immediately love the tone.  Full on it is bright and it doesn't take much pushing on the TC Spectradrive clean boost to get a nicely saturated gritty sound that is perfect for my blues rock band.  Perhaps rolled off a touch for the sweetspot.  The neck is sublime in terms of how it feels plus the vintage tint isn't that ghastly shade of turmeric like some.  I can see this being the one I grab first when it comes to gigging as it is just so easy to play.

And of course a huge thank you to David @Bassbadgerwhose customer service has been second to none.

IMG_20211221_104315.jpg

IMG_20211221_104332.jpg

I'm not a fan of short scales generally but I like that. Is it a guitar size body?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I`ve thought about getting one of these for overseas gigs to make flying a tad easier, wonder if there are any hard cases that would fit one?

I've not got my tape measure out but reckon the Gator XL guitar case would fit.  Or, indeed, any semi-hollow guitar case with a bit of side padding.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Paul S said:

A scaled down, slab-bodied 50s style Precision.  Binding on edges.  30" scale, 38mm nut, telecaster headstock. 

Oh dear.

I feel another build project coming on 🤣

Bet it plays and sounds as good as it looks , Mr K has an unerring habit of getting things right 😀

Congratulations @Paul S , you've made me very jealous 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1