Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

21 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I think it's a new, but damaged, head and, as we know, Ashdown will probably repair it for a pittance. Anybody want to snap it up?

What on earth happened to it? I've dropped my ABM badly and it all damage was cosmetic. This.....is something else.

Not sure what you would have to do to do this much damage. Maybe a fork lift truck in the warehouse was involved.

image.thumb.png.da8906f6e3c7790603b71e0aa5ee1e90.png

- Damaged speaker/jack input. 

- Dent in back of chassis 

- Some inputs are bent 

- PCB broken inside 

- One of the fans is not working 

No power supply included.

Maybe make an offer...

Edited by TheGreek

3 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Not sure what you would have to do to do this much damage.

- Damaged speaker/jack input. 

- Dent in back of chassis 

- Some inputs are bent 

- PCB broken inside 

- One of the fans is not working 

No power supply included.

Put it in a pirate rehearsal room for a week? :)

Edited by la bam

4 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I think it's a new, but damaged, head and, as we know, Ashdown will probably repair it for a pittance. Anybody want to snap it up?

I saw this recently and for me anyway, its not more than fifty or sixty quids worth of parts without a few photos of what has happened internally. Apart from it being an ABM1200 which is a rare beast and fairly impractical for pub gigs, the damaged back panel looks particualrly terminal. Any impacted surface moves a fair bit in the direction of impact before springing back into place albeit in this case not all the steel panel has come back flat as it should be. The back board will be broken for sure. Both fans likely impacted the dual output boards and hit the heat sinks. They could be ripped out of position or the boards split. Either way thats two APC033 output boards, potentially two new fans, a back board and its possible the transformer could have been impacted. If that needs replacing you could be looking at a £400 repair bill in parts before the metal work is straightened out. I suppose if you already had an ABM1200 it would be and ideal source of spares you could pick at for years to come, but not for the current asking price. The case also looks like it has a split or been weakened at one side🤔 Must have been a very heavy impact and no telling what else might have been damaged.

Yes still could be a good buy. Until anyone looks inside to see whats needed, we'll never know for sure what it would cost to fix. Dave Green at Ashdown could no doubt work wonders with the internals but I'm not sure if Ashdown employ any panel beaters to fix bent metal work😆 I've had occasion to try and straighten out a bent ABM in the past and its fairly heavy grade steel these are made from. They don't bend out of shape or back into shape easily.  Definitely a project for a real enthusiast methinks.  

On 18/08/2023 at 16:39, Marky L said:

I dig the soft focus.. the focus of lurrrve ❤️

not sure why my phone did that lol

however something sounded awful the rig last night, hoping its my peavey bass head having issues with being 50 plus yrs old! got a gig friday and have a new amp lined up which was meant as backup but wil for the min be the main one! its ashdown tho and also looking at an abm 500 for sale locally

2 minutes ago, boristhespider7 said:

I'm an ABM 500 Evo III owner. Is it worth upgrading to the Evo 4?

I appreciate its only 2 extra sliders on the EQ plus some more gain to the valve section. Is it worth it?

If you want to be able to get a more precise sound then I’d say yes as the EVO4 just has that bit more in that area, probably due to the additional sliders.

2 hours ago, boristhespider7 said:

I'm an ABM 500 Evo III owner. Is it worth upgrading to the Evo 4?

I appreciate its only 2 extra sliders on the EQ plus some more gain to the valve section. Is it worth it?

There isn't a monumental difference between the EVOIII ABM500 and EVO IV models in my experience. Some early EVO IV's around 2017 were still using the green EVOIII main pre-amp board with the newer 9 band tone circuit. Later EVO IV's use the blue Ashdown re-designed pre-amp main board with the 9 band tone circuit. Transformers in both EVOIII and early EVO IV's were more or less the same, large output Xinzi branded, and had a T12A output fuse to protect cabs from excess output. Newish ABM EVO IV's have a new redesigned high quality/very quiet Euro designed transformer and also thermostatically controlled fans that only come on when you put your foot down. New EVO IV's are very quiet in operation and ideal for studio/home use because of this. There is a bit more grit in the later ABM EVO IV mainboard and also as mentioned you have two more sliders to fine tune tones. If your EVO III is working fine with no issues and doing the job, might be worth saving your money for the EVO VI if / when it comes along😁 I'm sure someone at Ashdown will be already drawing up the specs for it! Both EVO 3 and 4 are very capable amps and either can do that ABM sound. 

• Like 1

If you have a decent meter then yes, you should be able to tell. The 4 ohm is actually slightly higher than 4 ohm, its actually a little over 5, as it is 3 sets of speakers in parallel giving:

1 / (1 / 8+8 + 1 / 8+8 + 1 / 8+8) = 1 / (3/16) = 5.333 ohms

if one speaker has blown that 8+8 bit would be failed, so that would be 8 ohms

Although the other way is just play a bass through it and see if only 4 cones move!