Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

1 hour ago, la bam said:

No, I prefer those too. More chance of eq etc staying in position from gig to gig.

How often do you need the same EQ settings when moving between venues?

I wouldn't have a problem with it on EQ - but on the Input and Master volume is silly. 1 notch to go from too quiet to deafening.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

How often do you need the same EQ settings when moving between venues?

I wouldn't have a problem with it on EQ - but on the Input and Master volume is silly. 1 notch to go from too quiet to deafening.

It's not to keep them exactly the same, more to avoid the dials moving to ridiculous positions in transit - me forgetting to check and a ridiculously loud awful sound coming out. ie everything ending up dimmed to full. I pretty much want the same core sound every gig then very slight tweaks if needed.

Regarding notched dials on volume, just turn your bass or amp input down if theres any problem.

1 minute ago, la bam said:

It's not to keep them exactly the same, more to avoid the dials moving to ridiculous positions in transit - me forgetting to check and a ridiculously loud awful sound coming out. ie everything ending up dimmed to full. I pretty much want the same core sound every gig then very slight tweaks if needed.

Regarding notched dials on volume, just turn your bass or amp input down if theres any problem.

The new Evo 5 is notched on the input too.

51 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

The issue there is that the input gain also affects the valve drive. I'd much rather have smooth pots on the gain and volume.

I get what you're saying. I've had loads of ashdown amps including several abm iv s but it's never been an issue. If it was I would just turn my volume down (or up) slightly on the bass if needed.

I suppose if ashdown do a mod though its all good for everyone.

Funny thing I find with my ABM600 is input VU dial anxiety!!

When I think I have it set right or just going into the red on loudest note the band plays and I look back and it’s hard over at times on lowest of notes !

Ashdown states it won’t hurt the amp but I wish it just had an input LED and the VU only on the output as per the CTM100 or the mk V

They could use the input dial as a tuner instead 👍

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Funny thing I find with my ABM600 is input VU dial anxiety!!

When I think I have it set right or just going into the red on loudest note the band plays and I look back and it’s hard over at times on lowest of notes !

Ashdown states it won’t hurt the amp but I wish it just had an input LED and the VU only on the output as per the CTM100 or the mk V

They could use the input dial as a tuner instead 👍

With the EVO V I now have double this anxiety!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, la bam said:

I get what you're saying. I've had loads of ashdown amps including several abm iv s but it's never been an issue. If it was I would just turn my volume down (or up) slightly on the bass if needed.

I suppose if ashdown do a mod though its all good for everyone.

I get that if you don't use any pedals.

I have a couple and if I adjust my bass volume it affects what the pedal is doing. Not just overdrive reducing - it would ruin an envelope filter setting.

Bit moot at the moment though, with kids at uni I won't be buying anything spendy for a while now.

They better get rich quickly! :D 

10 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I get that if you don't use any pedals.

I have a couple and if I adjust my bass volume it affects what the pedal is doing. Not just overdrive reducing - it would ruin an envelope filter setting.

Bit moot at the moment though, with kids at uni I won't be buying anything spendy for a while now.

They better get rich quickly! :D 

I’m still funding one of mine .. seems never ending and student loans don’t make it any easier !

Apologies if this has been asked before but... I've got an ABM600 head. It's awesome. Is there some kind of protective case people are using the store and transport these? I'm just carrying it naked at the moment and don't want to scuff the tolex or worse still knacker the dials or sliders. I am considering a Roqsolid order for cab covers and could get the head a cover too but wondering about other options. 

Thanks!

1 minute ago, uk_lefty said:

Apologies if this has been asked before but... I've got an ABM600 head. It's awesome. Is there some kind of protective case people are using the store and transport these? I'm just carrying it naked at the moment and don't want to scuff the tolex or worse still knacker the dials or sliders. I am considering a Roqsolid order for cab covers and could get the head a cover too but wondering about other options. 

I got the roqsolid cover with the pocket and wraparound Velcro, love it!

Ander. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Muppet said:

I prefer the Hotcovers ones.  The padding is awesome and I ordered mine with a wrap around flap that effectively covers the whole amp.  

It may well be the one I have, can’t remember the name but I love it!