Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

• 1 month later...

Spent the day at the recording studio, going through various ampeg amp Sims. Wasn't 100% happy with the tone. Re-amped the Di through the Ashdown and a trace 410, shape on and slightly boosted mids, and that was it - the sound I was after and so much better than what I had before. I've never usually engaged the shape button live, but it worked so well recording  I might have to start using it live.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve always thought of the Shape button as the “get out of the way” option, it just seems to put the bass in a place all of its own.

That's exactly what it did - all the flabby  mids that seemed to be getting in the way, it removed. Similar thing with the sansamp bass Di for me - I've got quite a mid rangey bass & it gets rid of the unwanted frequencies

• 1 month later...

I've just joined a band that will use front of house pa for me to run my bass through. Can someone explain in simple terms what I need to do with my ABM di and what 'pre' 'post' eq does. I don't want to look a complete novice when it comes to setting up!

I have looked at the Ashdown online manual but still confused.

5 minutes ago, paddy109 said:

I've just joined a band that will use front of house pa for me to run my bass through. Can someone explain in simple terms what I need to do with my ABM di and what 'pre' 'post' eq does. I don't want to look a complete novice when it comes to setting up!

I have looked at the Ashdown online manual but still confused.

In simplest terms, "Pre" means FOH will get a flat signal regardless of what you set you mid, bass and treble to.  "Post" means they will get the same as your settings.

Most FOH engineers prefer pre as they can do their own shaping to suit the PA, but if you have critical wacky EQ settings that suit your style of music, I would go post.

Posted (edited)

Post eq means the eq settings you are using on your amp will be sent to the pa so it ‘should’  replicate the sound you’re generating from your amp. If you have extreme eq settings some engineers don’t like it. 

Pre eq takes the signal from the preamp before your eq settings have affected the tone (essentially the sound of your bass/any effects you might be using in-line that aren’t in an effects loop) and uses that cleaner signal where the mixer/soundperson can tweak the eq on the mixing desk to create the front of house bass sound, meaning your amp tone is really used as a monitor on stage. 

Edited by Bassybert

Posted (edited)

A good quality XLR cable is what you need. XLR cables are used for DI’s as they provide a balanced, low impedance signal the desk needs. You’ll need a female/male type. 

The length however depends how far away your amp is from the mixing desk or a DI box. A 20ft cable should be ok unless you’re playing at Wembley Stadium 😄

Edited by Bassybert
  • Like 1

I look at pre/post like this. If you’ve spent a long time rehearsing with your band and fine-tuning your eq so that all the instruments fit in the mix in a way that you are all happy with going pre simply ignores all that work. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

Presumably you still get the valve drive, octave and compressor regardless of if pre or post is selected. What about the shape🤔

I think Pre is in front of all of those 

• Confused 1

I always send Pre to FOH to give the engineer the cleanest possible signal to work with. Any colouration can come from your cab and if the venue requires it, this this can be mic'd up and mixed on a separate channel. I wouldn't get to wound up about losing "your tone" by going Pre EQ. Work with the FOH engineer. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I look at pre/post like this. If you’ve spent a long time rehearsing with your band and fine-tuning your eq so that all the instruments fit in the mix in a way that you are all happy with going pre simply ignores all that work. 

Agreed, if your bass tone is integral to the band’s sound and you’re sending a pre eq signal you’re at the complete mercy of the engineer to approximate the sound out front. 

Edited by Bassybert

1 hour ago, BassAdder60 said:

I think Pre is in front of all of those 

According to the ABM manual...

DIRECT INJECT (D.I.) - A balanced D.I. is provided on a latching XLR socket. This has a push button placed below it that allows the user to choose either a Pre E.Q. signal (button pushed IN) or a Post E.Q. Post Sub and effects signal (button OUT).

Pretty sure from experience the valve drive is part of the preamp signal so would be included in the Pre signal.

Can't find anything about the compressor position, but the sub and effects loop are definitely after the EQ, so won't be included in a DI signal if you're choosing the Pre option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bassybert said:

According to the ABM manual...

DIRECT INJECT (D.I.) - A balanced D.I. is provided on a latching XLR socket. This has a push button placed below it that allows the user to choose either a Pre E.Q. signal (button pushed IN) or a Post E.Q. Post Sub and effects signal (button OUT).

Pretty sure from experience the valve drive is part of the preamp signal so would be included in the Pre signal.

agree this is correct, but it wouldn’t make sense for the effects loop to be excluded from the DI signal would it? So either the effects loop is pre EQ or you need to select post EQ DI if you’re using the effects loop. 

24 minutes ago, DaleASmith said:

agree this is correct, but it wouldn’t make sense for the effects loop to be excluded from the DI signal would it? So either the effects loop is pre EQ or you need to select post EQ DI if you’re using the effects loop. 

I'm sure I've seen amps that have ability to have the effects loop pre or post DI. Maybe I'm remembering something that doesn't exist, it has been known 😂

• Like 1