Why become a member? ×

Custom Shop Choice

Bridgehouse

I’ve been thinking of getting a 4 string fretted for a little bit, as I’ve mostly been playing my Shuker fretless over the last 6 months or so. 

I put a WTB ad up for a Jazz/Precision from 74 (YOB) but I suspect that might take a while to surface. 

In the meantime, I’m considering a Custom Shop. Now, I know the usual arguments here - all that money for a bolt on neck etc. but, back in my guitar days I had a CS relic strat - and it was by far the best guitar I ever owned. Resonant, beautiful to play, sounded fantastic, the complete thing. Knowing that, I know a decent CS bass will be the same. 

So, popped up another WTB ad, but nothing forthcoming so far. I’d like to try a Jazz, as I’ve never had one before (I know, right?) - I might have to consider going retail and paying full whack. If I did that tho, I’d get a full range of choice. So, the question is, which CS would you go for?

3 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I've only ever played one and it was incredibly ordinary. I'd go to a big shop that stocks loads and play as many as possible, because I know there will be absolute gold there, it's just finding "the one" for you.

Yeah. I can imagine that actually. The CS Strat I had was extraordinarily good. I reckon I tried 3 or 4 alongside it, and they were all good. One or two were really good and the one I bought was exceptional. 

35 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Sandberg.

6 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Sandberg. 

Every Sandberg I’ve ever tried - and I’ve tried a lot over the years - I’ve thoroughly disliked. On no occasion have I even come close to enjoying playing one. Now if it were one or two then fair enough, but I tried a stand full at the guitar show a few years back and really didn’t like any of them. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Mmm. I’m not sure I necessarily agree with that. There’s a fair chance you’ll get something decent, but not guaranteed, especially if you’re talking Fender.

And in balance to my last post every CS Fender guitar or bass I’ve tried I’ve really liked. I’d agree that for the standard US, MiJ or MiM Fenders there can be some huge variation, and there’s variation in the CS offerings as well, but for the CS ones I’ve tried I’ve found them to be pretty spot on every time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yeah - I did see that one, and looks nice, but it’s probably not relic enough for me (I really like the way CS relics are done)

• Like 1

I played a few Fender Custom Shop Jazzes in Guitar Guitar a while ago. Very nice basses but they all had the vintage 1960s spec 7.5 inch radius which I just don't like. They also had quite a lot of single coil hum, which I suppose is being true to  vintage spec but to me was annoying to have on a £3k 'new' instrument. In the same shop there was an actual 1975 Fender in store for £500 less than the Custom Shop which I preferred by a significant margin. 

I'm not sure that the Fender Custom Shop offer a 1970s jazz (most of the ones I have seen are 1960s inspired) as one of their 'stock' models, so a custom order for one would probably be pricey (but if you got one it would be fairly unique and would probably retain value). 

If you want a proper 1970s passive Fender jazz vibe, I would probably stick with passive Fender basses.  I have two Sadowskys but even set passive and with the vintage tone control 'on' it never feels like I am playing a 'vintage' bass (it is very much a modern take on a vintage design, which I actually prefer). The relic Sandbergs to me get a bit closer to being 'vintage' but the oversized Delano pickups scream 'modern' to me even with the heaviest of relics. 

I would wait until you find an actual 1970s Fender if something like an American Original 1970s model won't scratch the itch and a bespoke Custom Shop 70s model ends up in the £5k or above range. 

1 hour ago, Bridgehouse said:

Every Sandberg I’ve ever tried - and I’ve tried a lot over the years - I’ve thoroughly disliked. On no occasion have I even come close to enjoying playing one. Now if it were one or two then fair enough, but I tried a stand full at the guitar show a few years back and really didn’t like any of them. 

I can only assume you like pineapple on pizza then too.

My sympathies.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

At least you are half right then! :D 

See, I’d give another Sandberg a go - I’m not _that_ closed minded, but experience has shown me that I’ve just never got on with them. 

I notice there’s a masterpiece goldburst at Bass Direct which I feel like I ought to try, but it’s active with an MM/J combo. Why do they have to make it active/passive?!

If I were looking for a fully handbuilt relic JB, I wouldn’t look any further than the Bravewood in the classifieds. If you don’t bond with it, it would be difficult to lose any significant money. I have had one, they are great. I have had CS - also very good, but the Bravewood felt more like an authentic original.

• Like 2

Much like signature basses, I don't get (ie Fender) custom shop kit at all, especially where you're simply getting a derivated version of instruments that exist in their thousands and thousands elsewhere.

Look, I do understand the feel-good factor, the smug flaunting of that custom shop logo and the sly knowing that your £750 Jazz bass actually costing you five or six times that (and that you'll reassuringly keep telling yourself it's somehow 'better' than another Jazz bass a guy was playing earlier on the same bill), but if you're desperate for an early '70s Jazz, wait and one will almost definitely show up eventually.  Cough, Reverb, cough.