Why become a member? ×

First ever audition

Linus27

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='453380' date='Apr 3 2009, 02:20 PM'][list=1]
[*]Tune up quickly & quietly.
[*]Don't noodle between songs.
[*]If in doubt play fewer notes rather than too many.
[*]Don't slap unless its a level 42 tribute band.
[/list][/quote]
Good suggestions, except don't slap even if it is a Level 42 tribute!
I don't do well in auditions. I never have done! I don't seem to relax enough and the better the band the worse I get! I got all my breaks from people seeing me play and calling me up!! You'll be spot on I'm sure. Good luck.
On the other hand I seem to do very well at job interviews and rarely fail to get the job. I never worked that out!

Thanks again for all the help guys.

My audition was at 3pm in Ealing. Thought the best route from Camberley would be M3, M25, M4 and then cut up to Ealing just after Heathrow. Well for some reason, I ended up in Hamersmith and got totally lost. Decided to make my way back through Chiswick and cut back up rather than turn around and head back along the M4. However, after Hammersmith and Chiswick. which was a nightmare on Saturday, I then got hit by traffic heading to Wembley but took some shortcuts and got to the audition just in time :)

Got stuck right in with the four songs I had learnt which impressed them and it all sounded very good. In fact they were pretty impressed how much I had learnt. They said I am a very mathimatical bass player, learning the songs down to the last note. Never heard of that saying before. I was also very happy with how well I played considering first time with fingers and nerves. We then stopped and had a chat and then got back to playing again. Went through the songs again and they were sounding really tight and again, the band was very pleased. They then said lets play some more songs which I did not know and so had to make up the bass lines on the spot. After the first song they asked if I had ever heard it as your playing like you know the song. I had not so they were very impressed and applauded me. We then did three more new songs which again they applauded me after. The audition lasted for 3 hours.

So all in all, I was very very happy with my audition and played as well as I could. No idea if I have got the gig but even if I don't, then at least it has given me the confidence to know I can do it. Also, I'm a big believer in fate, so if it happens then its supposed to be. If not, then I know its not right and something better is around the corner.

I'll keep you all posted and thanks again for all the advice.

[quote name='Linus27' post='454666' date='Apr 5 2009, 01:53 PM']No idea if I have got the gig but even if I don't, then at least it has given me the confidence to know I can do it.[/quote]

They don't all go that well - your next audition could be a complete disaster.

Just kidding! Sounds like you played a blinder. :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='454740' date='Apr 5 2009, 03:51 PM']As a matter interest did they tell you in advance they'd be asking you to play songs you had not had chance to rehearse?[/quote]

No, not at all. In the email I got mid last week, they asked if I could learn 3 songs, so I learnt to play 4. After we had run through them twice they gave the impression that it was going very well and so said, lets run through some others and mentioned a few titles. I said the only problem is I don't know those songs and have never heard them. They still wanted to jam and told me the chords for the verse, bridge and chorus. We then just started playing through them. I had no idea on structure or ryhthm etc and so had to make up bass lines and listen what was happening with the drums and structure. Also, some of the songs I had learnt, they had changed the structure a little so I had to re-learn the new structure on the spot and write a few new bass lines. I also locked in really well with the drummer.

Still, it did go very well even if I don't get it :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='454762' date='Apr 5 2009, 04:28 PM']No, not at all. In the email I got mid last week, they asked if I could learn 3 songs, so I learnt to play 4. After we had run through them twice they gave the impression that it was going very well and so said, lets run through some others and mentioned a few titles. I said the only problem is I don't know those songs and have never heard them. They still wanted to jam and told me the chords for the verse, bridge and chorus. We then just started playing through them. I had no idea on structure or ryhthm etc and so had to make up bass lines and listen what was happening with the drums and structure. Also, some of the songs I had learnt, they had changed the structure a little so I had to re-learn the new structure on the spot and write a few new bass lines. I also locked in really well with the drummer.

Still, it did go very well even if I don't get it :)[/quote]

Good for you... being put on the spot like that sorts the men from the boys. I would have crumbled in blind panic :rolleyes:

[quote name='Linus27' post='454890' date='Apr 5 2009, 08:31 PM']Well, just got an email for the band saying it was great playing with me yesterday and would I like to join the band. WOOOHOOO, so looks like I did an ok job :) :rolleyes: :D

Once again, thanks for all the help and support guys.[/quote]

Thats absolutely brilliant, well done.

[quote name='Linus27' post='454890' date='Apr 5 2009, 08:31 PM']Well, just got an email for the band saying it was great playing with me yesterday and would I like to join the band. WOOOHOOO, so looks like I did an ok job :) :rolleyes: :D

Once again, thanks for all the help and support guys.[/quote]
I missed all this
well done and I hope you enjoy it.
Preparation and the right attitude goes a long way.

Hey Congrats ..

Is ot this band called "The Fleas"
in which case you'd better look after your bowels ...
-------------------------------------------------
-Bowelshatteringly British indie rock and roll band!!
-Originally from London, The Fleas is fronted by Piers Eccleston on Vocals/Guitar, Demi Poiadzis on the Bass, Rico on Lead Guitar, Mannie playing Drumms and Percussion and Bernadette doing Backing Vocals and additional Percussion.

-Influences: Magic Numbers, Pixies, Keane, Kasabian and Gary Numan, among others.

-Bern took the photo so she is not there,you'll have to use your imagination!

-Very good fun on stage!
-----------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.channel4.com/music/myband/Fleas"]http://www.channel4.com/music/myband/Fleas[/url]

[quote name='OldGit' post='455395' date='Apr 6 2009, 01:21 PM']Hey Congrats ..

Is ot this band called "The Fleas"
in which case you'd better look after your bowels ...
-------------------------------------------------
-Bowelshatteringly British indie rock and roll band!!
-Originally from London, The Fleas is fronted by Piers Eccleston on Vocals/Guitar, Demi Poiadzis on the Bass, Rico on Lead Guitar, Mannie playing Drumms and Percussion and Bernadette doing Backing Vocals and additional Percussion.

-Influences: Magic Numbers, Pixies, Keane, Kasabian and Gary Numan, among others.

-Bern took the photo so she is not there,you'll have to use your imagination!

-Very good fun on stage!
-----------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.channel4.com/music/myband/Fleas"]http://www.channel4.com/music/myband/Fleas[/url][/quote]

Thank you. Thats the ones although Rico I think is now Nigel and Demi is now me :) Not so sure on those influences though.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='chris_b' post='455451' date='Apr 6 2009, 02:05 PM']Great news.
If you haven't got the gig it's usually no eye contact or chat and all over in 2 numbers. Have they any gigs lined up?[/quote]

No gigs yet. Planning on getting bass player up to speed and working on set and start gigging at the end of summer.