Why become a member? ×

Vintage P bass rebuild

Duarte

Helloo BC'ers!

Since I'm in the depths of my longest lockdown, I've started a few different projects. One of them is something I've wanted to do for years - I have a project bass!

It's a 1978 Yamaha Pulser bass, in bad cosmetic condition, but it plays reasonably well and sounds incredible.  

I bought it in Bangkok for about £60, which is a great deal for something I anticipated would be much more screwed up than it actually is. Anyway, the plan is to strip the body and neck, refinish, refret, replace rusted hardware, scratch plate and these awful new tuners. Thankfully the electronics are in great shape. Also the body appears to be one piece of ash or similar wood. I'm thinking of going for a natural finish with tru oil. Basically I wanted to a project bass which had a very low possibility of ending up any worse than when I started ;)

Any advice from anyone more experienced on any part of this project would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the 'before' pics:

IMG_20210812_123612.jpg

IMG_20210815_124415.jpg

IMG_20210812_123641.jpg

IMG_20210812_123704.jpg

IMG_20210815_124401.jpg

IMG_20210815_124328.jpg

IMG_20210815_124306.jpg

IMG_20210812_123724.jpg

IMG_20210812_123742_1.jpg

IMG_20210812_130842.jpg

IMG_20210812_130849.jpg

IMG_20210812_130908_1.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

leave it... especialy the neck... it looks played..

Haha! Maybe we can settle on a compromise... strip the body, leave the neck? I do love how the neck looks as it is, and the bits that aren't dented are wonderfully smooth and rounded. The body hasn't aged as gracefully. This bass will stay with me whatever happens, so I'm not worried about it re-sale-ability. 

Edited by Duarte
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Hey Duarte, I’d leave the neck it looks cool, and if it sounds good already I’d say you only have to do the body how you want , I’d also fit a threaded saddle bridge on to add to the vintage look 👍

I'm convinced - enough of you lot have said it now! The neck stays as-is. 

Any advice for the body? I did go into this looking for a project, so something's happening to it.

• Like 2

As a project, you can dissassemble it, clean it the best you can, change the pickguard, tuners, knobs and the bridge. 

You can also level a bit the frets and polish them. 

If you're satisfied with the tone, clean the electronics with some magic contact cleaner. 

If not, you can hunt down a nice set of pots (Emerson; KioGon ? ) 

4 hours ago, Duarte said:

I'm convinced - enough of you lot have said it now! The neck stays as-is. 

Any advice for the body?

Great news on the neck!

What ya thinking about the body?...

Natural Wood, Stain or a Solid Colour?

For me, It's screaming BLACK to go with that Maple neck... or an Aubergine Purple off Black...

You thinking Rattle Cans?

That scratchplate? Is/was it white plastic? looks like it could be anodised metal, hard to tell from the pics... but i think that should also stay... so many P-a-likes have slightly different shapes or screw spacings...

Keep the bridge, that way ya sure the mounting holes line up... but as mention you could change the sadles for threaded for a bit more of a vintage look, maybe have em off something like this for £15?...

https://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/vintage-style-4-string-bass-bridge-with-spiral-saddles/

@KiOgon P bass loom - Quality Pots n Jack - is a good idea for £25ish - Got one for my Budget Bitsa P

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Great news on the neck!

What ya thinking about the body?...

Natural Wood, Stain or a Solid Colour?

For me, It's screaming BLACK to go with that Maple neck... or an Aubergine Purple off Black...

You thinking Rattle Cans?

That scratchplate? Is/was it white plastic? looks like it could be anodised metal, hard to tell from the pics... but i think that should also stay... so many P-a-likes have slightly different shapes or screw spacings...

Keep the bridge, that way ya sure the mounting holes line up... but as mention you could change the sadles for threaded for a bit more of a vintage look, maybe have em off something like this for £15?...

https://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/vintage-style-4-string-bass-bridge-with-spiral-saddles/

@KiOgon P bass loom - Quality Pots n Jack - is a good idea for £25ish - Got one for my Budget Bitsa P

Ideas!! Natural wood is my first choice. The grain is too nice to hide. Tru oil and a long lockdown of gradually getting it to a glorious sheen is what I'm thinking... It might be a terrible idea. But I won't know for sure until I've actually done it.

I love the aubergine purple idea! I am eyeballing another bass, an 80's Jazz bass special (the one with slanted pickups) which looks like it was left out in the Thai sun for year, which would be a good candidate for that kind of treatment! I''ll include a pic below. This bass is on sale for £140.

Scratch plate is anodised metal. Screw holes appear to align with standard fender dimensions, and there are 13 filled holes in the body, which leads me to believe that someone had to make a fender sized one fit. I'll go for black.

As for the bridge, I actually have an old spare fender one kicking around that fits. 

Electronics seem fine as they are. I think they've been replaced, as pots are nice and sturdy with no crackles. Also there are weird routings where it looks like someone might have added active electronics at some point. Pickups seems OG and are nice and hot. However, for the sake of getting it up to the next level of quality, KiOgon is a good shout. I installed one of his harnesses on my main player and it's top notch.

Here's that other bass I'm talking about.

96e5dacd-b1f0-46b7-9ba1-66369987aa62.jpeg

Edited by Duarte
  • Like 3

I like that... if that was a Jazz body that would be epic-on-the-eye... offset body with the slanty pups... rear rout too... my fav!

Oh! and i likes a Strat Knob... thats got me thinking Cream Strat Knobs, or Jazz Knobs to match the Cream Split P Covers on my Bitsa Build... ebay here i come!

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

It has begun. I almost changed my mind and left it as it was... but then I had a gin and changed my mind again.

The finish was thick and not easy to remove, but I'm happy with what I found underneath! 

If you need me I'll be sanding on the balcony.

IMG_20210822_145713.jpeg

Edited by Duarte
  • Like 7

I'd hang on to the ally pick guard... and save yaself a few quid...

0000 wire wool should clean up the detritus but leave the patina... without scratching it.

Not so common as a Gold, think it would look quite unique, and keep a lighter overall appearance on natural wood and look like a 'smile' over a more usual 'sulk' of the heavier looking black plate.

Offer it up for a pic...

Edited by PaulThePlug

8 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

I'd hang on to the ally pick guard...

0000 wire wool should clean up the detritus but leave the patina... without scratching it.

Not so common as a Gold, think it would look quite unique, and keep a lighter overall appearance on natural wood over a more  usual and heavier looking black plate.

Offer it up for a pic...

Interesting idea. 

bass.jpeg

• Like 4

I'm not normally a fan of (faux) relicing but IMO it was the only way to go with this. Too much "character" to try to renovate.

Natural finish is the way to go - I linked to a vintage finish (vinegar & wire wool) in another thread - could be the way to go.

Found it: 

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 2