Why become a member? ×

Jeff Berlin Q&As at Talkbass.com

Mike

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='451791' date='Apr 1 2009, 05:54 PM']Am I correct in believing he's polish?

Anyways, insulting people spoils it for those who have a genuine and serious interest in understanding what these people have to say, regardless of whether they agree with it or not.

That doesn't impose a requirement on everyone to suck up but chips-on-shoulders won't be welcome either.[/quote]

I think he's Czech but British as well. I might have my wires crossed.

I think there's a way to disagree with someone - even on a profound level - without being insulting. It's sometimes difficult not to cross that line or be misinterpreted as crossing that line.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='451792' date='Apr 1 2009, 05:56 PM']Wasn't he going on about how much he hated writing about music, whilst writing on a bass forum, whilst writing articles for BGM?

The trouble with these "stars" is that they're a bit highly strung.[/quote]

Yeah, he could have handled it a bit better although so could everyone else on the forums.

I don't have any problem with him getting called on a few things but I think the way it happened just got totally out of hand.

[quote name='The Funk' post='451812' date='Apr 1 2009, 06:10 PM']I think he's Czech but British as well. I might have my wires crossed.

I think there's a way to disagree with someone - even on a profound level - without being insulting. It's sometimes difficult not to cross that line or be misinterpreted as crossing that line.

Yeah, he could have handled it a bit better although so could everyone else on the forums.

I don't have any problem with him getting called on a few things but I think the way it happened just got totally out of hand.[/quote]

Link?

[quote name='The Funk' post='451812' date='Apr 1 2009, 06:10 PM']Yeah, he could have handled it a bit better although so could everyone else on the forums.

I don't have any problem with him getting called on a few things but I think the way it happened just got totally out of hand.[/quote]

I just re-read some of that thread, and I gotta say, Janek Hammer came across as a bit of a dick to be honest! I'm sure he's a decent fella and an incredible musician, but he needs to chill out a bit! He was hardly even being criticized!

What happened to Steve Lawson?

*and as an aside, those 2 aren't the only pros we've had on here.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='451791' date='Apr 1 2009, 05:54 PM']Am I correct in believing he's polish?

Anyways, insulting people spoils it for those who have a genuine and serious interest in understanding what these people have to say, regardless of whether they agree with it or not.

That doesn't impose a requirement on everyone to suck up but chips-on-shoulders won't be welcome either.[/quote]

He's from London, his dad was Polish hence the name.

I agree with everything you say about hoping people don't spoil it for others, there are a lot of people on here, mysellf included who do want to improve as players, and having people like Janek, Steve and Jeff Berlin can only be a good thing.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='451829' date='Apr 1 2009, 06:26 PM']I just re-read some of that thread, and I gotta say, Janek Hammer came across as a bit of a dick to be honest! I'm sure he's a decent fella and an incredible musician, but he needs to chill out a bit! He was hardly even being criticized!

What happened to Steve Lawson?

*and as an aside, those 2 aren't the only pros we've had on here.[/quote]

*indeed :)

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='451832' date='Apr 1 2009, 06:28 PM']He's from London, his dad was Polish hence the name.

I agree with everything you say about hoping people don't spoil it for others, there are a lot of people on here, mysellf included who do want to improve as players, and having people like Janek, Steve and Jeff Berlin can only be a good thing.[/quote]

I agree, but we shouldn't tip-toe round members just because they're famous. That truly is pathetic.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='451836' date='Apr 1 2009, 06:31 PM']I agree, but we shouldn't tip-toe round members just because they're famous. That truly is pathetic.[/quote]

The most famous member I can think of is John Wayne Bobbit's.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='451832' date='Apr 1 2009, 06:28 PM']He's from London, his dad was Polish hence the name.[/quote]
Ah cheers for that.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='451832' date='Apr 1 2009, 06:28 PM']I agree with everything you say about hoping people don't spoil it for others, there are a lot of people on here, mysellf included who do want to improve as players, and having people like Janek, Steve and Jeff Berlin can only be a good thing.[/quote]
I couldn't agree more myself. I think that it would be a crying shame for one or two members to spoil it for everyone else. I could approach quite a few pros myself and no doubt there are other members within Basschat who could do the same. I think its worth asking the question of whats in it for them though. Some of these Q&A sessions are like chat shows and that big name stars only come on when they've got something to push. So there's got to be a bit of too and fro here. No point in them making the time for this forum if they and their product are only going to get slagged off.

BTW BBC, next time you say something tongue in cheek, might be useful to use an emoticon perhaps? It does reduce the potential for miscommunication and saves on the need for moderation too. Thanks. :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='451870' date='Apr 1 2009, 07:07 PM']BTW BBC, next time you say something tongue in cheek, might be useful to use an emoticon perhaps? It does reduce the potential for miscommunication and saves on the need for moderation too. Thanks. :)[/quote]

What do you think the chances of me using emoticons are?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='451828' date='Apr 1 2009, 06:24 PM']It's fast turning into a nanny state!![/quote]

Shame for sure but I'd rather see it moderated and be helful and long lasting than unmoderated and decend into some of the daftness we've seen...

[quote name='OldGit' post='451929' date='Apr 1 2009, 08:43 PM']Shame for sure but I'd rather see it moderated and be helful and long lasting than unmoderated and decend into some of the daftness we've seen...[/quote]

Am I the only person who hasn't noticed an increase in daftness recently? There's always been daft threads and daft posts. I don't think its a new phenomenon.

I was reading through a Jeff Berlin's post on TalkBass and he seems to have a sense of humour. I genuinely want to know where he gets his circa 1984 Hi-Techs from.

[quote name='Rich' post='451947' date='Apr 1 2009, 09:08 PM']He borrowed them from me. And no, he's never given them back.
Oi. Berlin. Trainers. Buy your own.[/quote]

Is this what's counts as daftness? This is the stuff that makes this place fun....

He should give Tom Selleck his tache back too.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='452123' date='Apr 2 2009, 06:51 AM']Is this what's counts as daftness? This is the stuff that makes this place fun....

He should give Tom Selleck his tache back too.[/quote]

Yeah, I like it too but we may have to be careful with the pros if we don't want to alienate them.
After all, why should Jeff Berlin bother with a UK forum if he gets abuse about stuff other than his playing?
His need to share and have an audience may not be that strong, especially if he's getting hundreds of posts on his TB thread to deal with ...

[quote name='leschirons' post='452773' date='Apr 2 2009, 09:40 PM']I'm intrigued now. Is it possible to read really old threads? How d'ya do that?[/quote]

Go to the top of the page to My Assistant. Then when the box comes up click search. Type in what you are looking for, and off you go.