Why become a member? ×

Jeff Berlin Q&As at Talkbass.com

Mike

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='452864' date='Apr 2 2009, 11:47 PM']Are we really sure Jeff Berlin isn't German...?[/quote]
Jewish...from Queens..NYC....

Parents went through the holocaust,big gangly ..kid...full of aggrassion,took up boxing and Bass,good fighter,good player.

[quote name='ARGH' post='452934' date='Apr 3 2009, 07:48 AM']Jewish...from Queens..NYC....

Parents went through the holocaust,big gangly ..kid...full of aggrassion,took up boxing and Bass,good fighter,good player.[/quote]

Rubbish - I could have Janek Hammer any day of the week! And he know's it.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='452219' date='Apr 2 2009, 10:45 AM']Don't like his playing, don't like his tone, don't like his clothes, but strangely I do like his attitude - even though I often disagree!

Alex[/quote]

I know what you mean, his tone even weirds me out and I'm the polar opposite of you tone wise. His playing sometimes seems a little too clinical and overly clever for me too (probably I'm not intellectual enough to 'get it' - whatever), although it is brilliantly executed. He looks like a very middle aged American tourist, and some of his statements are totally nonsensical to me.

Yet I profoundly respect his ability to get to the nub of what he is trying to say. Also his musical knowledge is clearly way beyond mine, so it would be stupidity incarnate to just ignore him (as if you could). I thought his entire Talkbass thread was superbly executed on his part, the exact right amount of humour in his responses, and a really good effort to defend his position on things.

I certainly agree that to be a really good bassist you need to be a musician first, but a lot of the other stuff he comes up with (the usual: metronomes, warm ups, fretless) I disagree with.

His school certainly teaches what he preaches and is excellent at producing really top quality pro level players.

The weirdest thing I think I've heard from him is he considers Billy Sheehan to be the best rock bassist in the world. Now just the fact that Billy S. knows virtually no theory, harmonic or otherwise, and cant read a note would suggest that Jeff would really not think that of him. I really struggle to get my head around that!

(For what its worth I tend to agree with Jeff on that point too, esp after hearing the Niacin stuff)....

[quote name='51m0n' post='453561' date='Apr 3 2009, 05:54 PM']I know what you mean, his tone even weirds me out and I'm the polar opposite of you tone wise. His playing sometimes seems a little too clinical and overly clever for me too (probably I'm not intellectual enough to 'get it' - whatever), although it is brilliantly executed. He looks like a very middle aged American tourist, and some of his statements are totally nonsensical to me.

Yet I profoundly respect his ability to get to the nub of what he is trying to say. Also his musical knowledge is clearly way beyond mine, so it would be stupidity incarnate to just ignore him (as if you could). I thought his entire Talkbass thread was superbly executed on his part, the exact right amount of humour in his responses, and a really good effort to defend his position on things.

I certainly agree that to be a really good bassist you need to be a musician first, but a lot of the other stuff he comes up with (the usual: metronomes, warm ups, fretless) I disagree with.

His school certainly teaches what he preaches and is excellent at producing really top quality pro level players.

The weirdest thing I think I've heard from him is he considers Billy Sheehan to be the best rock bassist in the world. Now just the fact that Billy S. knows virtually no theory, harmonic or otherwise, and cant read a note would suggest that Jeff would really not think that of him. I really struggle to get my head around that!

(For what its worth I tend to agree with Jeff on that point too, esp after hearing the Niacin stuff)....[/quote]
Agree with all that – sh*t hot player, awful music, talks both a lot of sense and a lot of crap!

One thing that I will say about Jeff Berlin - I don't get the impression that he is a delicate little flower who will run off in a strop if someone has a go at him! I thought that he handled the talkbass thing really well, but I got the impression that he was a touch disappointed that no one really challenged him. I get the idea that he is definitely not afraid of an argument.....

[quote name='peteb' post='453628' date='Apr 3 2009, 07:42 PM']Agree with all that – sh*t hot player, awful music, talks both a lot of sense and a lot of crap!

One thing that I will say about Jeff Berlin - I don't get the impression that he is a delicate little flower who will run off in a strop if someone has a go at him! I thought that he handled the talkbass thing really well, but I got the impression that he was a touch disappointed that no one really challenged him. I get the idea that he is definitely not afraid of an argument.....[/quote]

Absolutely. Kind of bloke you could have a beer with and really put him on the spot and I very much doubt he would be offended at all, just argue his point his way. Take it or leave it.

I like that about him an awful lot actually.

Tsk. Let's keep this on topic. Who cares what he looks like - I'm sure not all of us are fashion victims or style icons!

I'm interested in learning about his approach to the bass, music, soloing etc - couldn't care less about his trainers!

Mike I always comment when there are posts regarding a Male Musician's appearance
This is my part to make up the threads I do not post in where the biggest quantifier of a Female Musicians ability is her hair, knockers or all around "Hotness".