Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Mike' post='712535' date='Jan 14 2010, 01:39 PM']Wow, Oli Rockberger! One of my favourites of all time![/quote]

I bloody Love Oli Rockberger (great name too). I completely love a track on his myspace called "I miss my home".

Anyway just got the latest issue, nice feature with Martin Peterson of Sei which I cant wait to read, bit of John paul Jones, Gene Simmons, Duff and for those that complain about there being too many expensive basses, I dont think any of the reviewed basses are over £1500 RRP. Nice Dingwal in there.

Cant wait to get home, stick a brew on, bust out the hobnobs and have a read. I really do love this magazine, despite its faults.

[quote name='NJE' post='728732' date='Jan 29 2010, 02:24 PM']I bloody Love Oli Rockberger (great name too). I completely love a track on his myspace called "I miss my home".

Anyway just got the latest issue, nice feature with Martin Peterson of Sei which I cant wait to read, bit of John paul Jones, Gene Simmons, Duff and for those that complain about there being too many expensive basses, I dont think any of the reviewed basses are over £1500 RRP. Nice Dingwal in there.

Cant wait to get home, stick a brew on, bust out the hobnobs and have a read. I really do love this magazine, despite its faults.[/quote]
Haven't received mine yet :)

My WH Smiths is amazing they have it in stock before they get the new issue upon their own website. I gave up on subscriptions because the whole point for me was getting it early delivered to my door. It usually took a week after Smiths got it in for mine to turn up so that wa sthe end of subscriptions.

Still love it though.

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='703497' date='Jan 6 2010, 09:31 PM']Have emailed "Subscriptions" regarding missing issue - no response.

This is not looking good.

:)[/quote]

OK, just wanted to quickly update this.

Got a very pleasant email from the subscriptions dept. with an apology for being "out of office", explaining that my subscription had expired. Now in the past, it has automatically been renewed with no problem. But checking back, I didn't get any email or notification that this was going to happen. I havenow renewed my subscription and received the current (Zender) issue with a complimentary set of Rotosound strings. That was an unnecessary gesture, but greatly appreciated and has renewed my faith in BGM and its staff.

Hot Tub is happy.

:rolleyes:

Mine came this morning :)

Great to see Martin in there (and AJ of course!).

Problem is, I am totally GASing for a Dingwall now, that exact one in fact, well a four-string. I had a play on one last year and loved the fan frets, but that was before the Combustion came out so I forgot about them, no way I'm spending £2.5K on a bass. Yet another gear re-think has to happen, probably.

2 reviews in the new issue mention "dust" getting on the finish of the basses. Petra Jones even suggests keeping the Vintage in a gig bag.........
I thought these were working musical instruments, not valuable antiques or pieces of furniture.
I must be even more out of touch with the modern bassist than I thought!

Picked up my copy today.
I noticed the 'dust' thing in the reviews too. It's no big deal to give the bass a quick
rub down,and not really worthy of a mention in the reviews.
Good to see Tony Grey and especially Chris Wood featured,but I could do without
another cover story on John Paul Jones.

[quote name='Doddy' post='729992' date='Jan 30 2010, 06:52 PM']Good to see Tony Grey and especially Chris Wood featured,but I could do without
another cover story on John Paul Jones.[/quote]

I agree with the first two but as JPJ is one of my all-time favourites I'm very happy reading about what he's been up to.

Great to see Mike's article on Martin in there (really enjoyed that), even if they did mis-spell Martin's name on the cover (it's Petersen with an E!) and even more strangely misnamed John as Alex in the photo caption, none of which I'm sure has anything to do with Mike.

There is another wonderful little typo as well as the miss labeled photos of The Gallery workshop....

A missing apostrophe makes a lot of difference in this month's 'The Low Down'.

Just to set the record straight,
"and performing with a Pat Metheny Big Band", as apposed too, "and performing with Pat Metheny's Big Band"...whoops!

There is, as you've guessed, a slight difference in the two statements. Although the big band are still fantastic and I can't wait to hopefully get back in the seat in the near future!

Really enjoyed the article on Martin's 'The Woodshed', one day, I'm sure, I'll own a Sei myself.

Very best all, happy playing!

Phil Mann

Edited by Phil Mann

[quote name='4000' post='730199' date='Jan 30 2010, 11:43 PM']I agree with the first two but as JPJ is one of my all-time favourites I'm very happy reading about what he's been up to.

Great to see Mike's article on Martin in there (really enjoyed that), even if they did mis-spell Martin's name on the cover (it's Petersen with an E!) and even more strangely misnamed John as Alex in the photo caption, none of which I'm sure has anything to do with Mike.[/quote]

Hi Shaun

so glad you guys enjoyed the Sei bass feature, it was a real pleasure to do, but I am gutted about the caption mistake especially as it clearly says in the article that Jon is the other luthier in the shop not Alex... and as for the spelling mistake on the cover, that's just a bit crap as well, shame really as it's a great issue overall. I do the proof reading at Jazzwise, but not at BGM. Oh well.

Mike

[quote name='Phil Mann' post='730268' date='Jan 31 2010, 03:38 AM']A missing apostrophe makes a lot of difference in this [u][b]months[/b][/u] 'The Low Down'.[/quote]
Uhum! If we are being pedantic about missed apostrphies, should that not be [b]month's[/b]
:)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='730398' date='Jan 31 2010, 11:15 AM']BTW, are those fanned fret basses easy to get used to?[/quote]
They really are, Pete. They look scary as sh*t, but when you pick one up they feel really natural after a few minutes. I don't "need" one becasue I think they make more sense for ERBs, but I sure as hell want one :) They look damn funky!

QUOTE (Phil Mann @ Jan 31 2010, 03:38 AM)
A missing apostrophe makes a lot of difference in this months 'The Low Down'.
Uhum! If we are being pedantic about missed apostrphies, should that not be month's

Hey Bassbus,

Sorry, you've misinterpreted my post. I'm just making it clear that I haven't played with Pat Metheny, which is what the article suggests due to the typo.

My post on here was more focused on setting the record straight on the claim, other then criticizing a magazine that I enjoy reading each month, that a lot of people put hard work in to produce.

I'm not intending to be pedantic, and sorry if it came across as so...

Happying playing all.

Best,
Phil

Edited by Phil Mann

[quote name='urb' post='730287' date='Jan 31 2010, 08:20 AM']Hi Shaun

so glad you guys enjoyed the Sei bass feature, it was a real pleasure to do, but I am gutted about the caption mistake especially as it clearly says in the article that Jon is the other luthier in the shop not Alex... and as for the spelling mistake on the cover, that's just a bit crap as well, shame really as it's a great issue overall. I do the proof reading at Jazzwise, but not at BGM. Oh well.

Mike[/quote]

Hi Mike

Great article regardless, thought you did a great job. The only bad thing about reading about Seis is it makes me want another!

[quote name='urb' post='730287' date='Jan 31 2010, 08:20 AM']Hi Shaun

Mike[/quote]
Doh! The penny finally drops, so YOU are Mike Flynn! I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really like your writing style.

[quote name='silddx' post='730467' date='Jan 31 2010, 12:29 PM']Doh! The penny finally drops, so YOU are Mike Flynn! I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really like your writing style.[/quote]

Thanks - I appreciate it - I also write for Time Out and Jazzwise - but I've also played bass for 25 years - so it's nice to have an outlet to write about bass-related stuff - hopefully got some more good / big name bassists up for interview soon - thanks again

Mike

[quote name='Phil Mann' post='730268' date='Jan 31 2010, 03:38 AM']There is another wonderful little typo as well as the miss labeled photos of The Gallery workshop....

A missing apostrophe makes a lot of difference in this month's 'The Low Down'.

Just to set the record straight,
"and performing with a Pat Metheny Big Band", as apposed too, "and performing with Pat Metheny's Big Band"...whoops!

There is, as you've guessed, a slight difference in the two statements. Although the big band are still fantastic and I can't wait to hopefully get back in the seat in the near future!

Really enjoyed the article on Martin's 'The Woodshed', one day, I'm sure, I'll own a Sei myself.

Very best all, happy playing!

Phil Mann[/quote]

Phil,

I was about to text you to congratulate you on scoring such an awesome gig!!

Good to see you in the mag though, and nice to hear you finally got your Spector bass.

Cheers
Stu

I actually read the article on The Bass Gallery/Sei last night and absolutely loved it. I have been fascinated with Sei and their basses for almost as long as I have been playing so it was a real treat. Just looking at the pictures made me day dream about building guitars and having a basement full of tools and bass parts.

Anyway brilliant article and written by one of our own which is superb. I also have to say that the 6 string in the pictures looked stunning (does it belong to anyone on here?) and loved the pictures of their Cat, he/she looks lovely (sorry big cat lover).

Brilliant mag and just getting better and better IMHO.