Why become a member? ×

Is now good time to be buying 'quality' musical instruments

TJ1

30 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

I just take the stand that if I’m the high bidder I get it if I’m not I don’t. Not going to offer extra.

If some one is looking for a bass at a budget and people work together to find one in that budget I can’t see an issue with that either.

Yeah good view if you’re bidding. Back in 2010 or so, I bid on an immaculate 1989 trans red Ray with fabulous birds eye maple neck and board - I dropped out at £900 - it went for £1200 - what I didn’t realise was the tear drop case alone was worth £300 (as the up market pre EB basses - eg Cutlass, as well as some Rays and Sabres came in those). Mind you every cloud - I got a similarly beautiful 93 fretless in its original deluxe gig bag, immaculate, a couple of weeks later for just over £750!! Did a lot of gigs with that bass (paid for itself several times over). I still have it 👍

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Funnily enough the listing on "my" one is still live if you click it, he still hasn't marked it Sold.  maybe he's expecting it to be thrown back a few times!  ;)

If it was from FB Marketplace and in Leicester……. 😯 but yes they’re probably very slow dealing with it on their site! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

If it was from FB Marketplace and in Leicester……. 😯 but yes they’re probably very slow dealing with it on their site! 

You'd probably be the man to know, what was the score with the passive elec ones? Was it the same Pups just with no pre amp?, I presume they sound like a rather bland version of the usual thing ??

You'd probably be the man to know, what was the score with the passive elec ones? Was it the same Pups just with no pre amp?, I presume they sound like a rather bland version of the usual thing ??

They were cheaper and iirc there was a bunch of them unsold at the Bass Gallery that they sold off for around £400 each - it seems everyone wanted the active version. They sound and play fine. 

It’s really weird the way fashions change - back in that mid 2000s era everyone chose the 3 band Stingray - nowadays there’s more love for the 2 band than there was!! It’s the same with flatwounds - mind you I’ve just fitted two of my basses with new roundwounds (Stingray Special and Sabre) - any thoughts of flatwounds have completely disappeared - what a sound!! 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Yeah good view if you’re bidding. Back in 2010 or so, I bid on an immaculate 1989 trans red Ray with fabulous birds eye maple neck and board - I dropped out at £900 - it went for £1200 - what I didn’t realise was the tear drop case alone was worth £300 (as the up market pre EB basses - eg Cutlass, as well as some Rays and Sabres came in those). Mind you every cloud - I got a similarly beautiful 93 fretless in its original deluxe gig bag, immaculate, a couple of weeks later for just over £750!! Did a lot of gigs with that bass (paid for itself several times over). I still have it 👍

I never beat myself up about this stuff. If I have a maximum of £800 to spare that’s what I can spend. It may come with an all expenses paid trip to Vegas but if it’s more than £800 I can’t afford it!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

How did you get on??

Nothing back in response to my last email to Bass Direct, silence!.. I tried to phone him this afternoon, to discuss in person, rang for a fair time then went to voicemail, he knows my number from when I called before so possibly he thought "nah.." and didn't fancy the conversation !  

So as it stands, If i want to keep it, I just do nowt and leave it there ( he's clearly never going to offer any recompense)..... or if I want to return it I'd have to plug away to try and get a response... Or start a PayPal dispute.

Pretty unsatisfactory all round....

You could start a Paypal dispute but its been 23 hours since you "rejected" it and want the full refund? They ought to be given a reasonable time to process that. I have no idea why they have admitted the advert was misleading - that's a huge own goal for them. Its still a bass, it still makes noise, its still kind of playable.....so its an opinion on its condition of a secondhand instrument, doesn't necessarily fall under the SOGA.

20 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

You could start a Paypal dispute but its been 23 hours since you "rejected" it and want the full refund? They ought to be given a reasonable time to process that. I have no idea why they have admitted the advert was misleading - that's a huge own goal for them. Its still a bass, it still makes noise, its still kind of playable.....so its an opinion on its condition of a secondhand instrument, doesn't necessarily fall under the SOGA.

Well he's admitted in email to me that " it was misleading"  his own words, ( claiming it an error!)...i don't think there could be any doubt it's "not as described" !

I will give him a bell to tomorrow from a different mobile number, see if he answers that, I'd think it could be sorted one way or another with a one to one chat, rather than email.

As mentioned before I'm not averse to keeping it, in fact I'd prefer to, but think he should offer some recompense.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Just out of casual interest btw I enquired of a fairly pukka sounding guitar re painting firm, as to how much to refinish a bass neck in black "paint"... To strip it first £90... Then to paint it an additional £230... 😱

Having spent much of the lockdown doing this stuff it’s not surprising. It’s very time consuming.

• Like 1

I'd be starting the dispute as a bit of insurance in case or radio silence... can alway stop when resolved. Consider sending it back then make a cheaky offer?

Or I'd be looking on £100 back (10% - 15%) to potentialy meet half the £200ish refin cost?...

Then its for you to decide what ya do... like ya mentioned a bit of DIY with the Wet 'n Dry...

And as long as ya happy and not making do... Good Stuff

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 2

As a MM Sub update, I spoke to him on the phone ( using the cunning trick of a different mobile no! ). and as I  thought, a one to one conversation was a lot more productive,  we had a fairly friendly chat and he seems a nice enough bloke on the phone at least....the upshot being he reckons he'll refund me £50 ..which as I mentioned earlier was an offer I'd have been happy with in the first place, so a reasonable-ish result.. Pity it all occurred in the first place but, hey ho

I've been liking the bass when noodling about with it, I'll need to do a bit of setting up etc, and will give back of the neck a buff with t-cut which should improve it I'd think.

Hopefully he'll do my refund promptly without having to be continually nagged..!  :)

• Like 4

As a MM Sub update, I spoke to him on the phone ( using the cunning trick of a different mobile no! ). and as I  thought, a one to one conversation was a lot more productive,  we had a fairly friendly chat and he seems a nice enough bloke on the phone at least....the upshot being he reckons he'll refund me £50 ..which as I mentioned earlier was an offer I'd have been happy with in the first place, so a reasonable-ish result.. Pity it all occurred in the first place but, hey ho

I've been liking the bass when noodling about with it, I'll need to do a bit of setting up etc, and will give back of the neck a buff with t-cut which should improve it I'd think.

Hopefully he'll do my refund promptly without having to be continually nagged..!  :)

Strip the paint off (it'll only go shiny and drag on your hand) and seal it with Danish or Gun Oil. A light knock back with some very fine wire wool afterwards and it'll be silky smooth. Any dents can be streamed out with a wet cloth and soldering iron prior to sealing.

1 minute ago, ezbass said:

Strip the paint off (it'll only go shiny and drag on your hand) and seal it with Danish or Gun Oil. A light knock back with some very fine wire wool afterwards and it'll be silky smooth. Any dents can be streamed out with a wet cloth and soldering iron prior to sealing.

Yes taking paint off is one option, initially tho I'll get the gluey bits off the edge and just tidy it up, and play it for a while before deciding what to do about the neck.. Essentially it's cosmetic, ...always amazes me how people can manage to ding the backs of necks like they do...

5 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Glad you reached a compromise your happy with waddo ☝️

Hopefully he won't mess me about delaying sending tho, you know what people are like, I emailed them my details again so he's definitely "got them" ;)

I'm liking the bass as i mentioned, as well as "clang"  it'll do some excellent Dub ! 👍

1 hour ago, ProfJames said:

That is great, I respect them again and restored my faith, well pleased for you. Enjoy..........

Yes well i think the secret with most "issues"  is to speak personally, face to face, or at least on the phone..... As always though, "buyer beware" !

They've done my refund now too I'm glad to say :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Returning to the original topic (it seemed relevant enough not to start a new thread), I recently bought a cheap new bass as a present for someone else.

I played it a little and it re-ignited some interest in buying a Fender Precision - up until now I'd mainly played Fender Jazzes. But looking round, its clear that instrument prices are on the up. If I buy new now, I can't get a rosewood neck, it will be pau ferro (unless I spend a lot!) and its about £630 for a Fender. And there's less option now, if I rule out continental European competitors (still plenty of choice amongst UK suppliers though).

Secondhand.......there's not much around, and definitely no bargains any more. I think the prices have gone up even more steeply than new prices. The gap in price between new and secondhand is smaller than before now too (most ridiculous I've seen is £700 for a Mexican Precision, which is available £630 new). Japanese stuff (ie importing) has gone up a lot too, and so has shipping costs.

It looks like now is the worst time to buy a decent instrument - of course it could get worse still....

• Like 1