Why become a member? ×

Is now good time to be buying 'quality' musical instruments

TJ1

19 minutes ago, peteb said:

I think that you and a few others are over estimating the value of s/h Stingrays.

(I ended up selling it on commission at Bass Direct).  

I don’t agree with the first point. The last point is the key to it - look at the prices achieved on commission sales at places like The Gallery. You’re not the first here to say they’d achieved sales on commission, recently where they couldn’t for appropriate prices elsewhere. 

I just wonder if prices for some basses are now beyond what the people frequenting this forum and EBay etc are willing to pay unless people want a quick sale as they need the cash. 

A lot depends on the person buying - if they ‘just want a Ray or a P - any one will do’, they may not be typical of the broader market.

Just look at the price of used Wals (for specific reasons). 

41 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

I don’t agree with the first point. The last point is the key to it - look at the prices achieved on commission sales at places like The Gallery. You’re not the first here to say they’d achieved sales on commission, recently where they couldn’t for appropriate prices elsewhere. 

I just wonder if prices for some basses are now beyond what the people frequenting this forum and EBay etc are willing to pay unless people want a quick sale as they need the cash. 

All I am saying is , based on having bought and sold a few over the past 10 years, the market price for a private sale, full fat American 3 eq 4H 90s Stingray is between £750 and £900. A 5H made in the noughties (IME and based on private sales again) seems to go for about £1k, give or take £50 or so. If you want one that is relatively new, has different p/ups or a roasted neck or whatever, then the price may well be different. Similarly, pre EBMMs will be considerably more expensive. 

41 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

A lot depends on the person buying - if they ‘just want a Ray or a P - any one will do’, they may not be typical of the broader market.

Just look at the price of used Wals (for specific reasons). 

I'm not sure of your point here. For most people, a Ray is what it is (American built 4H / 5H, 2 or 3 eq). If you want something a bit different then you will pay extra. The build quality over the years has always been pretty consistent, so its not like Fenders where those built in certain eras are thought to be better than others.

A used Wal is a completely different market. For a start they are comparatively rare, were hand built and have a reputation based on their exclusivity and a few iconic users from many years ago. The beauty of the Stingray is that there are plenty of the classic 4H models around, the QC has always been consistent over the years and they have a unique sound that has been used by many top players in a number of different genres. 

My point is that now is a great time to buy a s/h Stingray, while they are relatively such good value.  

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I'd certainly like to buy a 4 string basic, even tatty, US stingray for £700 odd quid if anyone's flogging one like that !

Keep looking on Facebook selling pages & eBay - they do come up from time to time (although £800 is probably more realistic on those sites). 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, peteb said:

Keep looking on Facebook selling pages & eBay - they do come up from time to time (although £800 is probably more realistic on those sites). 

I don't do facebook at all, but do check ebay quite frequently, tho if fb is the place they go, it'd almost be worth joining it just to look at the ads and nowt else ! ( i certainly wouldn't be "joining in" the discourse there :) )

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I don't do facebook at all, but do check ebay quite frequently, tho if fb is the place they go, it'd almost be worth joining it just to look at the ads and nowt else ! ( i certainly wouldn't be "joining in" the discourse there :) )

You can join facebook and remain pretty much anonymous. I joined for a couple of art groups and no-one knows I’m there. You’ll still get loads of “friend” requests from loads of people you don’t know but I just ignore them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Trueno said:

You can join facebook and remain pretty much anonymous. I joined for a couple of art groups and no-one knows I’m there. You’ll still get loads of “friend” requests from loads of people you don’t know but I just ignore them.

Cool..I don't really know how it works tbh as I've always shunned it ! I assume you have to join certain groups then to see their adverts... So what's the "bargain Stingrays" group then ? :)

33 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

.I don't really know how it works tbh

I don’t do fb either but I sometimes view the bass marketplace, you don’t have to log in, I just google it, if there’s something I like I get miss RB to message 🙂

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Can't see him taking 750 to 800 if he wants a grand for it but ?  Probably best to seek for tatty lookers !

£900 would be a not too insulting offer though. Some you win, some you lose. A lot of Ray purists will insist on the original pickup and they are pretty much impossible to find.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Unfortunately we're straying beyond my wallet now ! :(

The SUB and Sterling range are very good. I had a Ray34 and there is not a massive difference between that and a genuine Ray. Certainly not several hundred £’s worth of difference for the used range. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Cool..I don't really know how it works tbh as I've always shunned it ! I assume you have to join certain groups then to see their adverts... So what's the "bargain Stingrays" group then ? :)

I’m still confused about it tbh. I’m in closed groups… you can view but can’t participate until you ask to join. I’m not on them as “Trueno”… just another made up name.

Edit… as everyone probably knows, my real name is Tancred Trueno III.

Edited by Trueno
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trueno said:

I’m still confused about it tbh. I’m in closed groups… you can view but can’t participate until you ask to join. I’m not on them as “Trueno”… just another made up name.

Edit… as everyone probably knows, my real name is Tancred Trueno III.

I guess you gots to know the right groups to be in ! ... I might dig out an old unused email add, make up an even more daft name, and give it a try , I assume there's bass players groups and individual instrument brand "fan" groups... It's sounding like a proper pain in the ar$e already..! ;)

I went out to buy two MM basses - a standard 4H and a Big Al.  Bought both of them about three months ago ish.  Was looking pre Brexit as we all knew prices were going to increase.   Within a week of buying them I was offered considerably more, however the reason I bought them was not to make money.  There are a few bargains but you have to be diligent.

You need to be on the FB bass marketplaces, eBay, Gumtree and Preloved and looking every day.  Reverb is off the scale and not even a benchmark.  However the best price basses are on this forum.  In the last year I have bought two Shukers, two Sandbergs, BB1100s - all in great A1 condition and each transaction was a pleasure.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I'd certainly like to buy a 4 string basic, even tatty, US stingray for £700 odd quid if anyone's flogging one like that !

BD has a USA Sub for £650 (BTW, this is not my bass and I don't know the original owner either). These were the no-frills US made Stingrays, which should not to be confused with the Sterling by MM Sub basses made in Indonesia and China. The US Sub had 2 band EQ, painted necks, limited choice of colours and no body contouring (i.e., slab body). Check it out:

Music Man SUB 4 Satin Black Second Hand, used Bass Guitar Stock Maple neck, active eq :: For sale, UK:: Bass Direct, Warwick, London, Manchester Birmingham, USA

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

BD has a USA Sub for £650 (BTW, this is not my bass and I don't know the original owner either). These were the no-frills US made Stingrays, which should not to be confused with the Sterling by MM Sub basses made in Indonesia and China. The US Sub had 2 band EQ, painted necks, limited choice of colours and no body contouring (i.e., slab body). Check it out:

Music Man SUB 4 Satin Black Second Hand, used Bass Guitar Stock Maple neck, active eq :: For sale, UK:: Bass Direct, Warwick, London, Manchester Birmingham, USA

Yes I remember these, they were made in the same plant as the stingrays I believe..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Yes I remember these, they were made in the same plant as the stingrays I believe..

Yes, as far as I know they were made in the same factory in San Luis Obispo, CA.

I am still looking for a 2 band EQ Stingray but in natural, otherwise I would have already clicked the "add to cart" button 😉 

Just now, Eldon Tyrell said:

Yes, as far as I know they were made in the same factory in San Luis Obispo, CA.

I am still looking for a 2 band EQ Stingray but in natural, otherwise I would have already clicked the "add to cart" button 😉 

I've actually done just that !!!  So it's all your fault 👍

• Like 3