Why become a member? ×

Is now good time to be buying 'quality' musical instruments

TJ1

1 minute ago, martthebass said:

As you say shame about the neck cosmetics, like you I would have definitely haggled down the 9/10 rating on that.  I had a US Sterling SUB and had the neck refinished as the black paint had started to go 'sticky', it played (and looked) much better after this - maybe that's an option if you decide the bass is a keeper.

I'll drop them a mail later, I'd hope they'd make gesture of  a modest rebate of some kind.. I'll hang on to it tho rather than just throw it back at them !   The neck's not sticky fortunately, just been walloped a bit and attacked with sandpaper.. i'll try polishing it out myself first..   a proper refinish would doubtless be ideal, tho I suspect wouldn't be cheap !

8 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

@Waddo Soqable.... I would be upset atthat 9/10 rating...... sale of goods act worth looking at.  Not wanting to be controverstial but would suggest you call them, worth knocking off 100 from what you paid.  That is disappointing IMO.  Looks a lovely bass but..........not 9/10.

Well had a response and I'll copy paste it here.. It's a case of yes it was misleading, oops it was a mistake, send it back for refund or tough titty... Not especially good customer treatment IMHO... Here's what they said...

Hi - the 9.10 was misleading I am sorry it was a cut and paste error, however we did price the bass based on it’s condition as these are the USA basses so we usually sell for around £799 upwards.

I understand you are not happy but there is not much I can do on yhe price I am afraid. We can collect and refund if you do not wish to keep and the bass and I am sorry for the confusing description but it was a razy week with stock so I messed up the description.

Kind regards
  • Sad 1

Depends on how you want to proceed with this. They are in clear breach of the trade descriptions act. They advertised it as 9/10 their mistakes are not your problem. 

That said they have offered a return and full refund so this would cover them of any liability if I understand this correctly.

• Like 2

Just now, tegs07 said:

Depends on how you want to proceed with this. They are in clear breach of the trade descriptions act. They advertised it as 9/10 their mistakes are not your problem. 

That said they have offered a return and full refund so this would cover them of any liability if I understand this correctly.

Ignorance is no plea of innocence, agree with the post.   They should front this properly and offer a refund against what they think is an error............ disappointing.................

• Like 2

Just now, ProfJames said:

Ignorance is no plea of innocence, agree with the post.   They should front this properly and offer a refund against what they think is an error............ disappointing.................

I think the return and full refund would be enough legally but if I am not a lawyer! I agree as a gesture of good faith they should give you a credit note or knock a few £ off.

• Like 1

As Tegs says, technically they've offered  a return for refund, so they're covered in that respect as regards sale of goods law.

They reckon it was priced correctly for that instrument and only the 9/10 rating was a "mistake" as in the cut and paste above , they reckon a 9/10 one to be £800 !

Personally I think it's a $hitty way to proceed, they should certainly make some gesture of recompense, but clearly have no intention of doing so, it's a case of send it back ( which i don't want to do now) or "put up with it"

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

As Tegs says, technically they've offered  a return for refund, so they're covered in that respect as regards sale of goods law.

They reckon it was priced correctly for that instrument and only the 9/10 rating was a "mistake" as in the cut and paste above , they reckon a 9/10 one to be £800 !

Personally I think it's a $hitty way to proceed, they should certainly make some gesture of recompense, but clearly have no intention of doing so, it's a case of send it back ( which i don't want to do now) or "put up with it"

They are pretty rare but do crop up - one on flea bay at the mo:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234048726358

• Like 2

Their reputation has diminshed for me.  That is a mercenaty way out to offer a full rend - it is correct, and they are right...but.  This forum is importnat to all retailers..........I am sorely disappointed as the cost of returns, packaging, damage to reputation, bad press must be worth something!!!  Short term gain and a long term pain.  What do they base their 9/10 rating against?  This has upset me as this is not a personal service, their offer purely covers them and has no respect for the individual.   I will not buy from them again................the business of any business is to get customers and to keep them............shame on BD

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

That one if you look closely actually does have some dings and is prob slightly more "worn" than my one, but like i said it was on my watch list !

Yep - I was looking for one of these for a while and as they mid 80’s and “cheap” they have frequently been gigged.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

Their reputation has diminshed for me.  That is a mercenaty way out to offer a full rend - it is correct, and they are right...but.  This forum is importnat to all retailers..........I am sorely disappointed as the cost of returns, packaging, damage to reputation, bad press must be worth something!!!  Short term gain and a long term pain.  What do they base their 9/10 rating against?  This has upset me as this is not a personal service, their offer purely covers them and has no respect for the individual.   I will not buy from them again................the business of any business is to get customers and to keep them............shame on BD

Indeed Prof, first and last time.. I wouldn't buy from them again either.

• Like 2

Just now, Waddo Soqable said:

Indeed Prof, first and last time.. I wouldn't buy from them again either.

This has left a bad taste in my mouth.  Disappointed for you.  In so many ways.  Bad news travels quick.  It is actually making me angry............

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Yep - I was looking for one of these for a while and as they mid 80’s and “cheap” they have frequently been gigged.

I wasn't overly keen on the red finish with that one either.. Knowing me it would've ended up with a "blow over" of matt black or something.. Then of course I'd have been toying with putting a pre amp in, so would've been a bit of a project !

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

This has left a bad taste in my mouth.  Disappointed for you.  In so many ways.  Bad news travels quick.  It is actually making me angry............

Never mind Prof, I greatly appreciate your friendly support 👍  end of the day, I've got the bass i wanted, I've not exactly been massively ripped off.. I just ended up dealing with Rsoles :)

1 minute ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Never mind Prof, I greatly appreciate your friendly support 👍  end of the day, I've got the bass i wanted, I've not exactly been massively ripped off.. I just ended up dealing with Rsoles :)

The neck is definitely fixable-  one good thing about the budget black finish is that the repairs won’t show once retouched.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s a shame Waddo, especially when you trust them and your looking forward to getting it, it’s definitely not acceptable, I would want a considerable discount or they can come and get it 

Yes you're right there, but I have to decide throw it back or accept it as is !  I'll ping an email back and say I'm very much not happy, and BTW were discussing you on BC right now, and not very favourably !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

You are magnaminous!  I respect you enormously for your attitude but they will NOT get any more business from me and I shall pass that on.  Shysters IMO....... and hugely disappointed in their response.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tegs07 said:

The neck is definitely fixable-  one good thing about the budget black finish is that the repairs won’t show once retouched.

Very true, as I mentioned I would be having a go at polishing the back of the neck as first port of call, the side dot markers would be easy enough to smooth down and polish flat too, so not insurmountable, of course one can get necks re finished properly too, at a price !

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Yes you're right there, but I have to decide throw it back or accept it as is !  I'll ping an email back and say I'm very much not happy, and BTW were discussing you on BC right now, and not very favourably !

Yeah, that’s a good idea mentioning BC, ultimately it’s what you’re happy with , as tegs says, the neck is an easy fix , but they should compensate you something for being misleading 

• Like 3