Why become a member? ×

Drummers

AM1

[quote name='Marky L' post='443953' date='Mar 24 2009, 04:47 PM']Oh man, our drummer.. please never let me near a gun when he is in the same room.[/quote]

If I was you I'd start looking for another band. Why put yourself through all that misery? Playing with a good drummer is such a fantastic experience that I'm now really choosy about drummers.

I had an audition for a band a while ago. THey they were an established band with a full gig diary for the next year, but during the audition I could hear the drummer slowing down very slightly during every song, and I knew that after half a dozen practises it would start to really get on my nerves, so I politely said thanks but no thanks.

I'm now in a band that me and some other guys started from scratch. We had to audition drummers and the first one who turned up had a kit that consisted of a bass drum, a snare drum, a hi-hat and a cymbal and the first thing he said was " the snare on my snare drum doesn't work and my kick pedal broke so I borrowed one but it doesn't fit my bass drum". So basically he'd turned up for an audition with a hi-hat and a cymbal :)

The next one was another one of those drummers who thinks that all he needs to bring is a bass drum, snare drum and hi-hat, which is a pet hate of mine. Neither of them had bothered to learn any of the songs. The second one even said to me "so I'll just follow you shall I?"

When the third guy turned up we thought we'd won the lottery. He was only about 25 but was the best drummer I've played with by a long way, and he'd actually bothered learned the songs. What a difference a good drummer makes. We sound great, my playing sounds great and we all look forward to band practise and we're making very rapid progress.

Life is too short to waste time on crap drummers

[quote name='Marky L' post='443953' date='Mar 24 2009, 04:47 PM']Oh man, our drummer.. please never let me near a gun when he is in the same room.

He can not keep a regular time. When we play live he seems to get worse and songs begin to get faster and faster. We had a gig at the weekend and I start Mustang Sally (yeah.. yawn) and by the end of the first verse I swear we had taken it up by 20bpm at least. Had to turn round and shout to him to slow down.

That and he drums like a granny doing her knitting. Tippy tap tippy tap with no guts. And he can't play slowly loud and equally can't play fast softly. Has no idea about dynamics and I don't think he can count past 1.

It is such a hard job to play with him, you can see and hear when he has forgotten where he is in a song, head up, dear caught in head lights look and he plays all quietly so he can try to cover his mistakes.

Oh and he can't do fills in time.
Has a frightful taste in music.
Has no imagination.
He insists on counting in EVERY song (even when he starts one on hs own!) but really quietly so you can't hear.
And it's always him that gets up from behind his kit in rehearsal to tell others how to sing a song with some long rambling nonsense!! ARRGHH!!

I get angry sometimes!![/quote]

Who the hell named him Drummer :rolleyes: :)
I blame the mother and father.

Garry

Hey thanks for all the love :)

Yeah, I need to find something else but a full time job leeches my own time away from me.

I've been in a few bands in the past and had some awesome drummers, and it's true it's like a revelation to play with one. You know the beat is going to be sound and you can slip your own sexy little run in and know it wont throw him.

Am I allowed to say I'd love to play drums?

[quote name='josh3184' post='445053' date='Mar 25 2009, 03:27 PM']m old drummer insisted that you couldnt go from 4/4 to 3/4 in the same song.[/quote]
Yeah, my plodder was pretty much the same until I wrote a song that does 3/4 4/4 5/4. It's been his favourite ever since. :)

[quote name='RussFM' post='443989' date='Mar 24 2009, 05:21 PM']My main drummer is absolutely perfect every time. He also does backing vocals, is an amazing lead guitarist, and wrote half our songs. He's also grade 8 on violin. Bastard.[/quote]

That really made my day. :rolleyes: :D ;) :lol:

A truly magnificent post, if I may say so? :lol: :)

One of the greats is gone: [url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090325/people_nm/us_motown;_ylt=An0qcFRhKqDYCyRVYo4pgUNxFb8C"]http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090325/people...yRVYo4pgUNxFb8C[/url]

The three Motown drummers are all gone: Uriel Jones, Richard 'Pistol' Allen and Benny Benjamin - those cats could teach any drummer a thang or two!

Alex

+1 & RIP Uriel.

A rock-solid yet capable drummer who puts the music first is truly hard to find IMO, particularly one who's got a great sound! Why do so many drummers play those horrible over-tightened piccolo snares?!* :D

*EDIT: Specifically I mean using the aforementioned drum when it doesn't suit the music being played at all (imagine if AC/DC's drummer used one for example?)

:rolleyes: :) ;)

Edited by Etienne

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='445062' date='Mar 25 2009, 03:33 PM']Yeah, my plodder was pretty much the same until I wrote a song that does 3/4 4/4 5/4. It's been his favourite ever since. :)[/quote]

Is that not just three bars of 4/4 ?
Thats why he liked it of course... :rolleyes:
Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Eight' post='443755' date='Mar 24 2009, 01:34 PM']I can't decide if you meant that the bass player is the singer, or the bass player is knobbing the singer but trying to keep it quiet.[/quote]

I actually did that! Nightmare trying to keep that quite...

My current drummer is a machine :rolleyes:

He reads every single song we play & has a click running in the background through his in-ear monitors.

He's a jazzer at heart & still manages to throw in little odd time signature fills every now & then & copes with temp changes seamlessly.

The whole band relies on him for stops / starts / endings etc.

He cocks up now & then but it's so rare that the rest of the band usually think they've made the mistake if an ending isn't quite perfect :)

Our drummer's fantastic. He's a really good jazz drummer, so playing covers in a functions band is easy for him.

He very rarely overplays anything, and his timing is spot on 99.9% of the time.

Only once have I criticised his timing (in a rehearsal where both the guitarist and myself were adamant he'd slowed down). Caused a big row, and me to pack down and go home!

Plus, he's a great guy and more like a brother.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='444493' date='Mar 24 2009, 11:15 PM']BTW, I don't have a problem with shifts in tempo - as long as it's planned and deliberate, rather than accidental or alcohol / adrenaline induced.[/quote]
+1 on that.

I play with one drummer whose timekeeping is extremely good. However, there are times when he'll speed up (i.e. speed the band up) if in his estimate the tempo is too slow (or slow it down is he thinks it's too fast). In other words he can keep a strict tempo but he takes control of the tempo and makes sure it's the correct tempo - usually when the singer or guitarist have started too slow or too fast. So, he sometimes speeds up but when does he's in control. He's extremely easy and reliable to play with.

Most other drummers I play with have a tendency to speed up with excitement at least sometimes.

As a bassist, the question I always ask myself about a drummer is 'does he (or she) know where the 'one' is at least as well as I do?'. The answer ought to be 'yes'.

[quote name='BassMunkee' post='445964' date='Mar 26 2009, 01:30 PM']TED PARSONS - Swans, Prong, Killing Joke, Godflesh, Jesu, etc...
If you want metronomic timing, this man is your man.
He's a fekkin machine. :)[/quote]

I read somewhere that Duck Dunn was asked if he ever played with a drum machine and he said 'Yeah, Al Jackson'.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='448435' date='Mar 28 2009, 10:47 PM']+1 on that.

I play with one drummer whose timekeeping is extremely good. However, there are times when he'll speed up (i.e. speed the band up) if in his estimate the tempo is too slow (or slow it down is he thinks it's too fast). In other words he can keep a strict tempo but he takes control of the tempo and makes sure it's the correct tempo - usually when the singer or guitarist have started too slow or too fast. So, he sometimes speeds up but when does he's in control. He's extremely easy and reliable to play with.

Most other drummers I play with have a tendency to speed up with excitement at least sometimes.

As a bassist, the question I always ask myself about a drummer is 'does he (or she) know where the 'one' is at least as well as I do?'. The answer ought to be 'yes'.[/quote]

Yep, that's our drummer, if we have a problem with that, we will talk about it after the gig, but it's always been ok so far. he's a far better musician than me. so i tend to listen to him. '

[quote name='Etienne' post='445158' date='Mar 25 2009, 05:07 PM']Why do so many drummers play those horrible over-tightened piccolo snares?!* :D

*EDIT: Specifically I mean using the aforementioned drum when it doesn't suit the music being played at all (imagine if AC/DC's drummer used one for example?)

:rolleyes: :) ;)[/quote]
Ugh, I hate them too! There are plenty of places they sound great but mostly they don't! The perfect drumkit would have one of them as well as a normal snare.

[quote name='lazzer' post='447927' date='Mar 28 2009, 10:14 AM']My main drummer is getting there now after lots of "encouragement" from me! However my biggest pet peeve is when the count in doesn't match the tempo he starts playing.......
:-(

Lazzer[/quote]
+1 My drummer does that and he's really good otherwise!