Why become a member? ×

First build complete! 32" scale 5 string

benh

12 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I like the look of the Babicz bridges...

Yeah I've had one of the Babicz FCH bridges on a bass before, very sturdy. As I seem to be veering ever closer to buying a Superquad pickup, I'd rather go for something a bit more conservative price wise though 😅

6 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

@Hellzero is quite right.  As long as the neck heel is fitted to be properly against the back of the pocket it's the 'lift' you need to bolt against.

Do you remember this one - I fitted a neck to one of @eude 's schooldays (?) projects.  It was the shortest pocket I ever did (by necessity) - and it was a 6 string bass!

The pocket was even shorter than @benh 's present one:

wVJz4I3l.jpg

For that, because I had no idea really what extra pull forces might be on a sixer, and the floor of the pocket itself wasn't all that thick, I went belt and braces and fitted an unglued dry biscuit joint into the front join area:

g7VWHwFl.jpg

It held fine and, to be honest, I think it would have been OK with just the bolts:

38UzUB5l.jpg

So, @benh - best to extend the fretboard a touch in any case, as much for the 24th fret security as anything, and the resulting neck pocket should be perfectly adequate :)

The bass, the neck and the joint have been rock solid too.

I love this bass @Andyjr1515, thank you for bringing it back to life!

Eude

• Like 3

On 12/03/2021 at 20:35, benh said:

Another thought re: fretboard material... could look rather splendid, although maybe a bit much

IMG_20210312_203408.jpg

Do it ... you wanted unique, thats unique, right there, on a plate with salsa, cheese and guacamole 

• Haha 2

Reminded myself why I've never bothered with any sort of graphic design... it's frustrating and I'm not very good at it. But, the dog can't eat this one 😉 Work in progress!

5 string bass v1.png

• Like 3

Not wanting to take anything away from some of the constructive feedback I am reading, @benh if this is your first build my advice would be: accept that you are learning and that you will make mistakes, building is as much overcoming and finding solutions to issues as anything; this will not be your last build (trust me) so it is much more about enjoying the process and getting a feel for it; you are building your bass (yeah!) so nothing to stop you do whatever you want with whatever design which is the best thing about building your own instruments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I've been playing around with the digital version of my design. And although I like the basic shape, I've been trying to take on board the advice I've been given regarding neck pocket, body shape etc and added a few fun bits. Again I'm pretty sure it's very derivative of something or other but I can't think what!

5 string bass v2.png

• Like 3

TBH I preferred the original....but we all have different taste.

It's going to be near on impossible to design something that doesn't bear some resemblance to something else...it isn't plagiarism to acknowledge a design you like (unless it's a Rick)

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm preferring the new design it's going to be a nice bass when finished! 

I agree with Mick you'll really struggle to come up with a completely unique design, I just take aspects of other basses I like and kind of mix and match them till I'm happy with the design...... 👍🏻 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, benh said:

Thanks guys. The more I looked at it, the more I hated the "fin" at the back, got rid of it in this version.

5 string bass v3.png

Thats the great thing about making your own basses (I'm using the plural because once you've got the bug you will definitely make more! I'm on about build 8 or 9! 😁) you can change things and let them evolve! And love the spalted top btw!!...... 👍🏻 

• Thanks 1

Last one of the front, I promise (edit - I lied 😁). Played around a little more and I've got it to where I'm happy with everything. Messed around with scale lengths (as you do) and decided it just looks better as a 32" scale with 21 frets, rather than 34" scale with 24 frets. A few more decisions to make then I reckon I can start making firewood gluing and shaping the body blank.

5 string bass v3 32 in.png

Edited by benh
  • Like 3

Don't forget to reposition the pickup accordingly to the 32 inches scale. Now you can start the making some firewood. 🤣

PS : The end of the top horn is generally an octave indicator,  so aligned with the 12th fret and it's a minor adjustment. 😉 

PS bis : Do you know the exact position of a Stingray pickup ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

Don't forget to reposition the pickup accordingly to the 32 inches scale. Now you can start the making some firewood. 🤣

PS : The end of the top horn is generally an octave indicator,  so aligned with the 12th fret and it's a minor adjustment. 😉 

PS bis : Do you know the exact position of a Stingray pickup ?

Duly noted - hadn't thought of that, will adjust accordingly! To be honest I eyeballed the pickup placement from a front image of a Stingray

I found this online.

PickupPositionsForManyMakesOfBass.xlsx

It only seems to quote a measurement for the 34inch five string single pup Stingray but I have no reason to believe it isn't representative of manufacturers' standard measurements.  You could extrapolate for your chosen scale.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I found this online.

PickupPositionsForManyMakesOfBass.xlsx 16.15 kB · 1 download

It only seems to quote a measurement for the 34inch five string single pup Stingray but I have no reason to believe it isn't representative of manufacturers' standard measurements.  You could extrapolate for your chosen scale.

That's really helpful, cheers - will do some maths and update my plans this eve.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2021 at 14:15, benh said:

Excellent point @Jabba_the_gut - and thanks for the edit @TheGreek! I'd considered that. Also toying with the idea of going a bit further and making it a set neck - especially if I'm going single pickup, the neck tenon I feel could be plenty long/strong enough, and hidden under the top. However this could soon overtake my meagre skillset!

There's always the through neck option too - just a matter of gluing the wings on - no neck pocket required!

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Rexel Matador said:

There's always the through neck option too - just a matter of gluing the wings on - no neck pocket required!

Very true - but I'd need to buy more wood then, and I'd definitely want laminations for stability if going neck through. Keeping it simple(ish) for now. There's always the next one!

I would make the neck pocket go all the way to the pickup. Keep fingerboard ending where you show it, and have some matching spalted wood on the exposed neck between pickup and fingerboard. And if you cut that piece from the top before gluing the two haves together (and before glueing to body) you can match the grain and have a nice tight gap. 

• Thanks 1

Finalised the design now front and back. Will be hand drawing the side view to decide on thicknesses as I've about had enough of Inkscape now. Pickup and top horn placement moved (thanks @Hellzero and @SpondonBassed for the suggestions and the helpful spreadsheet) and control cavity planned. Also, the bridge, tuners and side dot sticks arrived through the post today - made me happy!

5 string bass v3 32 in.png

5 string bass v3 body back.png

• Like 4

• benh changed the title to First build complete! 32" scale 5 string