Why become a member? ×

Practising with headphones ....and tinnitus

Munurmunuh

Problem A - I haven't put on a pair of headphones since I discovered a few years ago that my habit of listening to my ipod on the tube had given me some entry-level tinnitus. It comes and goes, sounding like silvery cicadas, and is never annoying. I really don't want to make it worse.

Problem B - where I live, I've neighbours above and below and on both sides, and the flimsy building is an acoustic marvel for transmitting sound, and so through each day my playing is a combination of moderate, quiet and unplugged. My Peavey practice amp is constantly chomping at the bit.

So I could do with adding headphones to my repertoire, but need to be careful, and am almost entirely ignorant of what's what. (When I was a kid I had a pair of Sennheisers that had a seeming flat foam-covered panel against the ear, and were gently domed on the outside. That sort of design doesnt seem to exist anymore.)

Firstly, are noise-cancelling headphones any good for practising with, or do they mess with the tone? I live on a main road, so there is a little bit of traffic noise.

Secondly, would open back headphones be better for not annoying my tinnitus? Sound leaking out within my home isn't a problem.

I don't have any issue with headphones; I use 'em all the time. Yes, I've tinnitus, too, permanently, but I just keep the 'phones at a reasonable level. They're no different, as far as the ears are concerned, than listening without. I don't 'get' the 'tone' issue, either; if this is just for practising, it's just bass, isn't it (with maybe a backing track, or metronome...). When I'm practising, I'm not looking for 'tone'; it's so room/circumstance dependant as to not be relevant. Maybe that's just me (I'm a drummer...). I'd recommend 'closed' headphones, at a low level.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have a pair of sennheiser s HD 433 . Had them for years . Obviously the model numbers have changed since then along with probable updates.

What I find is that they are strong as well as nice and spongey on the ears .

Regarding spongey type headphones ,Ive had about 3 pairs of sennheisers over the years and a pair of Beyer dynamics.. The ones I have now are the best of the bunch . 
Regarding noise cancelling - great if you're on public transport full of anti social people and bawling babies . 
However, living alone , I don't want to cut myself off and prefer to hear what's around me to an extent . 

I too have tinnitus . Random though , as it's a side effect of a pain relaxant prescribed by my doctor over a year ago . 

• Thanks 1

I do most of my work using headphones, upwards of 10 hours a day some days. 

Don't have the volume too high, you only need to hear yourself - closed back headphones are probably best in this respect, they help cut down on ambient noise intrusion. If you do use open-backed phones, then try to practice somewhere quiet.

Take regular breaks.

Get a comfortable pair. My one pair sound fantastic but they’re very uncomfortable. I get around this by wearing a thick beanie hat that forces the headphones wider and away from my ears - just a touch of space.

• Like 1

Very good advice above!

Perhaps with exception to the closed backs. Sound pressure and fatigue are the two main culprits in regards to hearing damage (which can result in tinitus). That's why I would always advice open backed headphones when possible. The Beyerdynamic DT880 for instance, same as the 770 but the pressure has another way out than just through the eardrums.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I'm also thinking of getting an Auralex Gramma pad for the amp to sit on, to cut out one of the two routes the noise I make passes through the building. Daft price, but good for my conscience....

I'm glad I added this ps, as thanks to it I've now got one headed my way :D 

• Like 2

Just to mention that for the ultimate headphone experience, try adding a physical feedback device to your signal, such as a Backbeat or a bass board. You can then feel the bass and hear it perfectly reproduced in your headphones. I don’t think you’ll look back at using an amp again and having the ‘feel’ of the bass allows you to have a lower headphone volume too. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I've found a thread from 2016 full of headphone recommendations....most of which look at bit pricey for my lo-fi soul. These look good...

Phil Jones Bass H-850 Closed Back Headphones

....I think? £74 delivered. 

I think they are a rebrand of the (cheaper) Edifier H850.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0083DPIIA £54.99

• Thanks 1