GuyB

Best Inexpensive Machine Heads / Tuners

I am trying to find the best Inexpensive Machine Heads/Tuners for a 10 string project, 5 left side, 5 right side.

Any ideas, as I'm not a bass player.

With that many you’ll need lightweight to avoid massive neck dive. Licensed Hipshots would be good and are much cheaper than the US made ones.

• Like 2

Warwick-branded tuners are surprisingly affordable, and pretty solid. When I wanted to replace the gold hardware on one of my Streamers with black I was pleasantly surprised by their prices. Thomann stocks them, and Warwick's own webshop is rather excellent too. Don't know if any UK suppliers do too. 

• Like 1

Wilkinson's seem to be held in quite high esteem for inexpensive parts.

• Like 2

Wilkinson are perfectly serviceable, and are actually very light and fairly cheap. They would be a good, reliable choice.

• Like 1

I had a Retrovibe bass for a short while. The lightweight tuners on them were very smooth; they may be able to assist if you drop them a line.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, foxyFuze said:

I had a Retrovibe bass for a short while. The lightweight tuners on them were very smooth; they may be able to assist if you drop them a line.  

Retrovibe are now owned by Chowny.

On 21/01/2021 at 13:36, GuyB said:

the best Inexpensive Machine Heads/Tuners...

...are not cheap, but you may be able to make good deals. Schaller, Gotoh, Wilkinson... I would also check classifieds here.

On 22/01/2021 at 09:23, Chienmortbb said:

Retrovibe are now owned by Chowny.

We collaborate but are separate companies. Just FYI. :) 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By AndyTheBassBison
      Now sold.
      These came on a bass I bought - I have fitted more original looking tuners so these are no longer needed. Has ‘schaller’ printed on one side and ‘made in Germany’ on the other. Comes with all screws and fittings. 1/2" string post fits 11/16" headstock holes. I’m not sure on the finish but they are slightly dull and tarnished so ideal for a vintage bass.
      I believe this is the model-https://www.btnmusic.co.uk/product/schaller-bm-2-2-bass-tuner-set/
      They can be reversed to be used as a left or a right side tuner. Buyer pays postage.

• By Marky Screen
      I've had these sitting around in my spares box for a while.
      Used one from a set to replace a hipshot detuner from a bass I got. Other 3 have just hung around. 
      Maybe useful to someone on here that wants a tuner upgrade and has a detuner peg already sorted.
      Comes with ferrules and screws too if you need.
      UK postage included.
      Cheers.

• By nige1968
      It's a neck, tuning machines and string tree from a 2020 Squier Classic Vibe 70s Precision Bass. Which I reckon is about 50% of the bass itself. (I have the pickups, bridge, neckplate and pots somewhere if anyone's interested, for a few dollars more).
      It's a maple neck in vintage tint with maple board and black blocks/binding. Includes the original tuners and string tree. All 100% stock. The only mark on it is where some of the varnish on the truss-hole chipped when the rod was turned. See here:

The whole thing is finished in the spirit of the poo-brown flare-clad Capri-driving 1970s. It has been barely used and frets are all in perfect nick.Truss turns and works properly.
      It's a slim, shallow neck for a P-bass, and fitted the body it arrived with perfectly snugly. C profile, 'crafted' by a CNC operator in Indonesia.
      Collection from Hove, or UK postage at cost (choose your preferred courier).
      More pics:

• By Chienmortbb
      The Gotoh GB350 is the lightest bass Machine Head on the market, similar in weight to the USA made Hipshot Ultralites they are from (IMHO) the best maker of bass hardwatre on the planet. They bturn really smoothly and despite the light weight (40g per tuner) they have a real mass of metal. The dimensions can be seen in the picture at the end.
      This is a four-in-line set designed for a right handed bass. They have been hanging around for some time so the box is not pristine butthey are new. The price for these on Thomann is £95 plus £8 shipping. All the fittings are included.