Why become a member? ×

Alembic - show us your pics

marcus bell

[quote name='Musicman20' post='952520' date='Sep 11 2010, 10:04 AM']Clarky, is that Elan 5 similar to your incoming Elan?[/quote]
Similar although Newsted's has upgraded electronics and is stealth black. Jazyvee's newest Alembic, on the previous page of this thread, is near identical to Newsted's and I would really like to own it (sensibly he is not selling!) My current intention is to get my incoming one re-finned in black. You can see a pic of it if you click the link on my sig.

[quote name='Clarky' post='952528' date='Sep 11 2010, 10:12 AM']Similar although Newsted's has upgraded electronics and is stealth black. Jazyvee's newest Alembic, on the previous page of this thread, is near identical to Newsted's and I would really like to own it (sensibly he is not selling!) My current intention is to get my incoming one re-finned in black. You can see a pic of it if you click the link on my sig.[/quote]

Ah I see. I like that wood finish! Id be tempted to keep it as it is, but yep, black would be much more Tallica :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='952539' date='Sep 11 2010, 10:22 AM']Ah I see. I like that wood finish! Id be tempted to keep it as it is, but yep, black would be much more Tallica :)[/quote]
I am not getting it re-finned immediately as I want to see how I get on with the bass and how I feel about the wood finish. I do like darker woods ( this is walnut) and I do already have the black Spoiler so it's not certain I will get it re-finned.

[quote name='molan' post='952566' date='Sep 11 2010, 11:07 AM']Just my 2 cents but I think it'll be worth less in black - if you decide to refin then make sure it's a 'keeper' :)[/quote]
Thanks Barrie, fair point. It's also not cheap to get a good re-fin and would mean I would be without the bass for two months if I used Sims.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='952519' date='Sep 11 2010, 10:04 AM']I used to, and still to, love Metallica. I just dont see how a Sadowsky suits Newstead one bit. The Sadowsky tone, IMO, doesnt suit heavy music.[/quote]

I don't know, that growling chugging sound you hear across Load, Reload and Cunning Stunts is great...I quite like the sound of Jason's Sadowsky basses!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='954361' date='Sep 13 2010, 08:49 AM']I don't know, that growling chugging sound you hear across Load, Reload and Cunning Stunts is great...I quite like the sound of Jason's Sadowsky basses![/quote]

They looks great, and I think back then I was quite in awe of how cool and retro I thought it was to have a normal Jazz bass (with a decent :) in a metal band. After trying one, I just cant get on with it. Maybe I should try one again, but I darent at the prices they charge!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='954400' date='Sep 13 2010, 09:29 AM']They looks great, and I think back then I was quite in awe of how cool and retro I thought it was to have a normal Jazz bass (with a decent :) in a metal band. After trying one, I just cant get on with it. Maybe I should try one again, but I darent at the prices they charge![/quote]

I've got a jazz style bass with lace sensor pickups and it sounds awesome for metal. You imagine fender jazz sort of ring to the strings, but with balls to back it up. I know what you mean though. I think what was infinetely worse than newstead's bass sound on load/reload etc was Bob Rock's fender P bass on the St Anger album. It just seemed to be an undefined midrange growl with little to no low end to it whatsoever.

What I did like was when the new chap, Rob T, was playing with them to try out, and he used that SR5. That sounded immense. Its on the DVD they released a while back. Im not a HUGE Metallica fan, but I do follow up on what theyve been upto. That DVD of trying new bassists was excellent for a geek like me. Some of the 'big players' just had no energy or chops, then Rob came along.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='954465' date='Sep 13 2010, 10:33 AM']I've got a jazz style bass with lace sensor pickups and it sounds awesome for metal. You imagine fender jazz sort of ring to the strings, but with balls to back it up. I know what you mean though. I think what was infinetely worse than newstead's bass sound on load/reload etc was Bob Rock's fender P bass on the St Anger album. It just seemed to be an undefined midrange growl with little to no low end to it whatsoever.[/quote]

Most of that album (if not all) was done with a Spector though. It belonged to the former Loverboy bassist Scott Smith.

And that DVD mentioned above is the one that came with the special edition album. The Ray does sound amazing, far better than Rob's Fernandez! Amazing guitar tone on that dvd too.

Edited by Chris2112

[quote name='Clarky' post='952541' date='Sep 11 2010, 10:32 AM']I am not getting it re-finned immediately as I want to see how I get on with the bass and how I feel about the wood finish. I do like darker woods ( this is walnut) and I do already have the black Spoiler so it's not certain I will get it re-finned.[/quote]

Hi Clarky, how you getting on with the new bass?
Jazzyvee

[quote name='jazzyvee' post='960145' date='Sep 18 2010, 08:37 AM']Hi Clarky, how you getting on with the new bass?
Jazzyvee[/quote]
Hey Jazzyvee! The new Elan 5 is very nice. Very fast, flat/shallow neck (I have taken the action down pretty low although I need to get some new strings) and it really could pass for a new bass if you don't inspect too close up (amazing for an 18 year old bass). It sounds similar to my Spoiler ( not surprising given it has the same pickups and similar electronics) and very Alembic! Weighs 10.5 lb which is completely manageable and half a pound less than my Spoiler despite being a bigger bodied bass and with a wider neck. The flame walnut top is beautiful but I think I would prefer it in black. I will probably send it off to Sims in the next week or two to get it re-finned and keep the back of neck as is - unless of course you want to sell me your bass (OK, I know the answer is no!)

Edited by Clarky

Here's a pic of my new Elan 5, taken this morning.
[attachment=59178:001.JPG]

Now do I leave it as is (other than get a replacement truss rod cover in brass, which is on order) or do I get it re-finned in deep gloss black (like Jason Newsted and Jazzyvee's Elan/Europa 5) or in a see-through black that shows the flame of the wood through it? Examples below. Decisions .....

[attachment=59186:EuropaFive_2.jpg][attachment=59185:Black_elan.jpg]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='961111' date='Sep 19 2010, 12:41 PM']Here's a pic of my new Elan 5, taken this morning. Now do I leave it as is (other than get a replacement truss rod cover in brass, which is on order) or do I get it re-finned in deep gloss black (like Jason Newsted and Jazzyvee's Elan 5) or in a see-through black that shows the flame of the wood through it? Decisions .....

[attachment=59178:001.JPG][/quote]

what sort of impact will a re-fin have on any re-sale value? I like it as it is, but I tend to like natural/wood finishes

[quote name='Jigster' post='961143' date='Sep 19 2010, 01:20 PM']what sort of impact will a re-fin have on any re-sale value? I like it as it is, but I tend to like natural/wood finishes[/quote]
A re-fin will almost certainly be detrimental - although there is a hard core of Metallica fans out there that are after Burton/Newsted-alike basses should I have to sell. For example I keep getting messages from the Alembic Club from people after my black Spoiler (the same model Burton played). I tried (and failed) to track down a black Elan or Europa 5 as I would rather buy one that was ready-made rather than have re-finned (you will see me nagging Jazzyvee above to sell me his black Elan/Europa 5 but he sensibly doesn't want to part with his!)

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='961145' date='Sep 19 2010, 01:23 PM']A re-fin will almost certainly be detrimental - although there is a hard core of Metallica fans out there that are after Burton/Newsted-alike basses should I have to sell. For example I keep getting messages from the Alembic Club from people after my black Spoiler (the same model Burton played). I tried (and failed) to track down a black Elan or Europa 5 as I would rather buy one that was ready-made rather than have re-finned (you will see me nagging Jazzyvee above to sell me his black Elan/Europa 5 but he sensibly doesn't want to part with his!)[/quote]

When you have the refinish done, will Simms, remove all the existing finish and spray black onto the wood or will they do like alembic do and apply a clear finish first before applying a bold colour on top? If they do then it means if you later decided to sell it the new buyer could always go back to a natural wood at a later date.

I'm glad you are happy with the new bass. It looks sharp. I guess you have your own reasons for wanting it all black but as you know I prefer a natural wood as that top looks great. I think mine is a flame maple top under the black paint which looking at the alembic build thread is not that exciting in the grain pattern so probably painting it black was a wise choice by the original buyer.
Jazzyvee

[quote name='Clarky' post='960181' date='Sep 18 2010, 09:39 AM']Hey Jazzyvee! The new Elan 5 is very nice. Very fast, flat/shallow neck (I have taken the action down pretty low although I need to get some new strings) and it really could pass for a new bass if you don't inspect too close up (amazing for an 18 year old bass). It sounds similar to my Spoiler ( not surprising given it has the same pickups and similar electronics) and very Alembic! Weighs 10.5 lb which is completely manageable and half a pound less than my Spoiler despite being a bigger bodied bass and with a wider neck. The flame walnut top is beautiful but I think I would prefer it in black. I will probably send it off to Sims in the next week or two to get it re-finned and keep the back of neck as is - unless of course you want to sell me your bass (OK, I know the answer is no!)[/quote]

I remember passing up on a 6 string Elan about 6 years or so ago because there was some deformity in the neck near the nut and the laminates were lifting. Other than that it was a beautiful bass with in madagascar ebony top. It had a very piano like tone. That really convinced me that the elan's are great basses.
I read on the alembic forum you are thinking of upgrading the electronics to signature. I know now that would be a perfect mix for that bass but if that option is a bit expensive you may want to check out the Europa electronics for it instead. I have an elan 4 with europa electronics and that offers great tone and the best thing about it is it's very easy to change tone quickly with the cut/flat/boost, bass and treble switches as well as the q-switch.
Surprisingly flexible tonally and of course you would have less problems with the layout of the controls.
Jazzyvee

[quote name='marcus bell' post='276281' date='Sep 3 2008, 02:37 PM']Jaydee all the way, i think its the perfect slap bass...the alembic is weird it sounds great on its own but seems to get lost in a band situation, also it seems to sound better played fingerstyle.[/quote]

I know this is all the way from the first page but I quoted it because it made me laugh.

I'm still on the lookout for a Mark King signature, one of these days I'll find one right around pay day! :)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='962406' date='Sep 20 2010, 05:00 PM']I know this is all the way from the first page but I quoted it because it made me laugh.

I'm still on the lookout for a Mark King signature, one of these days I'll find one right around pay day! :)[/quote]

If you are unaware of it, you may wanna keep this link so that you are ready when the right pay day comes along :-)
[url="http://www.americanguitarsuk.com/bassshop/alembicB.php"]http://www.americanguitarsuk.com/bassshop/alembicB.php[/url]
Jazzyvee

[quote name='jazzyvee' post='961788' date='Sep 20 2010, 01:33 AM']I remember passing up on a 6 string Elan about 6 years or so ago because there was some deformity in the neck near the nut and the laminates were lifting. Other than that it was a beautiful bass with in madagascar ebony top. It had a very piano like tone. That really convinced me that the elan's are great basses.[/quote]
The laminates weren't lifting and it sold 2 weeks after I listed it with the Bass Centre. You never played the instrument. I sold it because the tone was too dark and woolly sounding.

EDIT: The top was Macassar ebony.

[quote name='jazzyvee' post='962628' date='Sep 20 2010, 07:44 PM']If you are unaware of it, you may wanna keep this link so that you are ready when the right pay day comes along :-)
[url="http://www.americanguitarsuk.com/bassshop/alembicB.php"]http://www.americanguitarsuk.com/bassshop/alembicB.php[/url]
Jazzyvee[/quote]

Awesome link, thank you!

I love the coco bolo top of one of the Mark King basses but I don't like the stinger tail, if I could have that top on the other body shape I'd be very happy! I'd ideally like one with a flamed or quilted maple top, I'll just keep my eyes open over these next few years!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='962970' date='Sep 21 2010, 08:58 AM']Awesome link, thank you!

I love the coco bolo top of one of the Mark King basses but I don't like the stinger tail, if I could have that top on the other body shape I'd be very happy! I'd ideally like one with a flamed or quilted maple top, I'll just keep my eyes open over these next few years![/quote]

I took a trip down there a couple of years ago and tried out some of the basses there. The sound of all of them was incredible. The one that surprised me the most with how fantastic it sounded was the Dragons Wing model. Although the shape of that model is too loud, the sound was spectacular.

Jazzyvee