Why become a member? ×

Alembic - show us your pics

marcus bell

Have to admit, big love for Alembics :wub:

After deliberating for a long while whether to go the 5 string route, I managed to pick up a second hand Alembic Orion. I love it to bits. So easy to play, lovely tone, and the build quality is sublime. The mahogany body has a holographic effect to the wood, and the Zebrano top is stunning. Has very much become my go to bass :)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='963651' date='Sep 21 2010, 07:03 PM']Sadly it's a bit far off the beaten track for me, but I will keep my eye on it in future! Do they seem to sell their stock fairly quickly or does it tend to sit around for a while? Bass Central in the US has seemingly had certain Alembic models for ages that just dont' sell despite looking amazing![/quote]

I think the reason the basses stay unsold for a long while is because many people think they are far too expensive and so leave them alone.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='lozbass' post='494651' date='May 21 2009, 08:49 PM']I've been promising this for a long time - so...a little late evening sun in Manchester and here we go (the sun does little for my photography skills). It's an Alembic Series II custom - built around the small standard body shape. This is just around 2 years old - I've had it for about a year. Obviously, the photographs can't do it justice - it has a few unusual options - front and side blue LEDs (lasers in the front of the board), and extra laminates in the body (its cocobolo, maple, purpleheart, maple, vermillion core, maple, purpleheart, maple, cocobolo). Strangely, it has extra LEDs in the first position (a nice touch). The guy that commissioned this is an extraordinary aesthete with fabulous taste (IMO) - a really nice guy too.

Update: a few more photographs with some close-ups for detail - thanks to all for the comments[/quote]
Wow that is an incredible bass.
Congratulations.....

Jazzyve

Hi Jazzyvee,

Thanks for the kind comments...acquiring the Alembic was just the start of a habit that is now quite out of hand...I'll try to get a photograph up later. The small bodied short-scale is just perfect for me (apart from the fact it simply doesn't balance on a strap) and I now play little else.

[quote name='lozbass' post='1000765' date='Oct 26 2010, 08:10 AM']Hi Jazzyvee,

Thanks for the kind comments...acquiring the Alembic was just the start of a habit that is now quite out of hand...I'll try to get a photograph up later. The small bodied short-scale is just perfect for me (apart from the fact it simply doesn't balance on a strap) and I now play little else.[/quote]

Well if you decide it's not perfect for you anymore, please give me a shout as it may just be perfect for me. :-)
Jazzyvee

• 3 months later...

[quote name='lozbass' post='494651' date='May 21 2009, 07:49 PM']I've been promising this for a long time - so...a little late evening sun in Manchester and here we go (the sun does little for my photography skills). It's an Alembic Series II custom - built around the small standard body shape. This is just around 2 years old - I've had it for about a year. Obviously, the photographs can't do it justice - it has a few unusual options - front and side blue LEDs (lasers in the front of the board), and extra laminates in the body (its cocobolo, maple, purpleheart, maple, vermillion core, maple, purpleheart, maple, cocobolo). Strangely, it has extra LEDs in the first position (a nice touch). The guy that commissioned this is an extraordinary aesthete with fabulous taste (IMO) - a really nice guy too.

Update: a few more photographs with some close-ups for detail - thanks to all for the comments[/quote]
Hello I'm new! Being an Alembic addict I was browsing this thread and am pretty sure my bass is the sister of this one, they were both commissioned as a pair... I dont show it much mercy, it doesnt get to cool down very often.. :)
However mine has walnut outer body laminates front and back, not cocobolo so perhaps this is just a similer bass and not a sibling...

Edited by rolty

Hi Rolty, welcome!

Fantastic to see this, and yes - these are sister basses - both commissioned as a pair by the same purchaser and then parted a year or so after delivery. In my (biased) opinion, they're two of the most beautiful basses on the planet. I'm really pleased to hear that the fretless is getting the play it deserves - absolutely stunning. To save trawling back through pages in the thread, here's an image of the fretted sister. Oh, and a cousin...

[quote name='lozbass' post='1112090' date='Feb 2 2011, 10:09 AM']Hi Rolty, welcome!

Fantastic to see this, and yes - these are sister basses - both commissioned as a pair by the same purchaser and then parted a year or so after delivery. In my (biased) opinion, they're two of the most beautiful basses on the planet. I'm really pleased to hear that the fretless is getting the play it deserves - absolutely stunning. To save trawling back through pages in the thread, here's an image of the fretted sister. Oh, and a cousin...[/quote]

Thats good to know Loz, I didnt realise the sister wasnt walnut... Ive now worn most of the logo off the neck pickup with daily playing but other than that she is still as in these photos - the fingerboard is pristine as I use TI flats... love your 'cousin' instrument, that top is beautiful!

Hi Rolty,

Great to have you on here and great to see the Walnut sister again. When the original purchaser commissioned the two basses, he gave very detailed specs and selected some gorgeous walnut and cocobolo for the respective facings. The timber on yours looks amazing - unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to see it up close as the fretless sold first. I've seen a remarkable piece of walnut on a friend's Triple Omega - Alembic source some of the most exotic examples around!

Thanks for the kind words on the buckeye SCD - the timber (again) is just remarkable. The bass actually gets more use than the Series II (it's lighter and the case is in front of the Series bass - I'm lazy!) The SCD sounds absolutely phenomenal - gigantic clang and burp, but as you'll know, there's something about the Series basses.

You're right about the addiction...it's dangerous. I added a third and fourth Alembic in the past few months. The Series 1 koa went to another Basschatter pretty quickly as it was simply too big for me (another stunner - I was extremely sad to see it go!). The other bass, a SCD in cocobolo is very lovely indeed - it's the one that gets the most play of the triumvirate (the case is really easy to get at!) I'll get some images when I have a chance.

Oh...and I agree with Bilbo - I'm a big fan of Alembics but they don't all capture my imagination. Indeed, I think some are very ugly indeed. The small bodied short-scales are just beautiful in my opinion.

Edited by lozbass

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1263937' date='Jun 10 2011, 02:04 PM']Why such a short time?[/quote]

Don't really play 4's much anymore, just fancied this as a stay at home noodle bass, until a very special Status popped up, so the Alembic came and went rapid like !

[quote name='Johngh' post='1264084' date='Jun 10 2011, 04:16 PM']Don't really play 4's much anymore, just fancied this as a stay at home noodle bass, until a very special Status popped up, so the Alembic came and went rapid like ![/quote]
:)
You can say that again! You've been through some nice stuff in a very short space of time John!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...