Why become a member? ×

Alembic - show us your pics

marcus bell

[quote name='jakesbass' post='500640' date='May 29 2009, 10:05 AM']Must be the LEDs, the other 2 are Q switches as they are signature electronics. unusual place for it though. They do say every Alembic is unique[/quote]
Thats correct.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='489404' date='May 15 2009, 11:29 PM']Can't believe I haven't added mine to this thread.

[attachment=25317:resized_20.jpg]

[attachment=25318:resized_21.jpg][/quote]

I had the pleasure of seeing this baby yesterday - realy, really nice bass.

Everything I thought an Alembic should be really :)

[quote name='silddx' post='503559' date='Jun 2 2009, 09:49 AM']it's like they have been hewn from a piece of granite, completely rigid, very strange.[/quote]
Not too far from the truth. The design intent has always been to isolate the string from the dampening effects of the wood as much as possible. Hence the use of brass nuts and sustain blocks plus laminate neck construction using ultra dense woods. Its a little unsophisticated by comparison with Ken Smith or Chris Celinder's artisan approaches but the huge sound is what Alembics are famous for and they don't have a cult following for nothing.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='503711' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:43 PM']but the huge sound is what Alembics are famous for and they don't have a cult following for nothing.[/quote]

Exactly... I played the Indigo2 at the O2 Arena (holds about 2000) bass->P.A. The building nearly collapsed in soundcheck. had it been any louder (all down to the soundman) there would have been a death toll!

+1 on hugeosity - I took my bass along for a thorough going over (by a well-known and first-rate luthier) just after picking it up. He plugged it in and his jaw bounced off the floor - he was genuinely stunned (but it put a smile on his face!) It's almost impossible to believe the size of the sound that comes out of this very small (but bl**dy heavy) bass. Each note is massive and massively complex. Now I would say that etc...but seriously, I'm trying to be objective here - I've honestly never heard anything like it in very many years of playing. I had the Alembic up against my Warwick Streamer Stage II last week - now the latter's a big, growly, phat sounding bass, but the Alembic was significantly bigger, more defined and more aggressive right across the range from the deepest lows, through the mids and right into the top end (and with real complexity across the lot). I'd have to say, I was shocked again at the size of the sound - it's huge (honestly!)

As for rigidity - this gave me a laugh - I'm not sure about hewn from granite, but there's something a bit unusual about an Alembic: the stiffness is either something you like, you don't like, or you can get used to. I'm in the latter camp. The bass really did feel a bit odd at first (and remember, it is tiny). However, a couple of sessions (it's hard to keep your hands off it anyway) and the bass simply became perfectly comfortable...sat down at least - I'm still not sure about playing this on a strap as the neck is pushed well-out because of the toggle placement.

My private collection.....just kidding :)

My 2 'bics are on the first row bottom left. The 2 sisters in maple top, Distillate and Spoiler. Great reunion, my head is still spinning !

[attachment=26475:IMG_0228.JPG]
[attachment=26476:IMG_0176.JPG]

[quote name='Enzo' post='504412' date='Jun 3 2009, 05:09 AM']My private collection.....just kidding :)

My 2 'bics are on the first row bottom left. The 2 sisters in maple top, Distillate and Spoiler. Great reunion, my head is still spinning !

[attachment=26475:IMG_0228.JPG]
[attachment=26476:IMG_0176.JPG][/quote]

...looks a bit like my private collection (hehehe!) - only joking - I've only got two Alembics right now - sold my Persuader earlier this year! Loving your sisters Enzo. Always wanted a Distillate...

Cheers Doc !

Your collection is always the # 1 :)

Take a look at this. It's the s/n 12 ( 1972 ). It's the oldest Alembic known.

[attachment=26516:IMG_0192.JPG]

The company knows where the s/n 1 is but the've been asked to keep it private.

[quote name='Enzo' post='505221' date='Jun 4 2009, 04:20 AM']Cheers Doc !

Your collection is always the # 1 :)

Take a look at this. It's the s/n 12 ( 1972 ). It's the oldest Alembic known.

[attachment=26516:IMG_0192.JPG]

The company knows where the s/n 1 is but the've been asked to keep it private.[/quote]I think I know too, does it belongs to a very famous six stringer, who was a prog pioneer?, or I could be talking out of my a-hole.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='lozbass' post='518980' date='Jun 19 2009, 11:47 PM']The Spyder - oh yes! Absolutely bl**dy marvellous - not really a bass for the wallflower player. I just love Alembic's ability to make the outrageous look classy and cool. Any chance of some close-ups?[/quote]

No probs. Will get some up

[quote name='Enzo' post='507913' date='Jun 8 2009, 05:35 AM']The second option :)

I tryed to snick his identity but I failed.[/quote]I do spend about 75% of the time talking from the Southern region. :rolleyes:
Well, doesn't Jack Cassidy own number 1?
I have a mag here from 1986, with a Robert Fripp interview and he has a prototype Alembic, there is a pic too, I'll have to dig it out and post it.