Why become a member? ×

Alembic - show us your pics

marcus bell

[quote name='jakesbass' post='649330' date='Nov 9 2009, 02:21 AM']I have a sig deluxe 5 string very like yours.. the electronics just keep offering possibilities and I've had it for over 2 yrs. Yours has a lovely top too...
congrats and enjoy.
Jake

PS if you haven't already go and register at the Alembic club (part of alembics own website) there are some great guys over there including regular poster Jimmy Johnson, one of my favourite Alembic players. There's also lots of info regarding setups pickup settings care and repair.... and lots of other lovely Alembics to look at.[/quote]
Thanks, yes the electronics are really amazing! On my way to the Alembic club now!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='650234' date='Nov 10 2009, 12:05 AM']That's amazing!! You are indeed 'a lucky guy'.. which may qualify as the understatement of the year!! :)[/quote]
Scandinavians do tend to understate a bit... :blush:

[quote name='Bassman68' post='651726' date='Nov 11 2009, 05:08 PM']I do like a bit of 'Buck-eye' burl, my Rogue 5 string has the same....[/quote]
Sweet! It looks really wicked with that upper horn, very nice!

• 6 months later...

Belatedly adding my 1986 Alembic Spoiler to this thread. Bought it off BC'er Lee Colman a month or two back and its just lovely - amazing build quality and condition ... my wife guessed it was only a few years old, rather than 24! The flame maple cap is very 3D to look at - pretty much the only 'coffee table' bass I have ever fallen for.

These are Lee's pics BTW
[attachment=50917:Spoiler1.jpg][attachment=50918:Spoiler2.jpg][attachment=50919:Spoiler3.jpg]

Now if anyone has a lookalike Spoiler in a 5-string version please contact me :) (failing that an Essence/Epic or MK 5-stringer ....)

Edited by Clarky

Gotta be honest - my initial attraction was that the Spoiler was played by Cliff Burton of Metallica (below), albeit in none-more-black livery, and his successor Jason Newsted played a couple of Spoilers too ... so I figured it had thrash metal credibility! As it is, I have discovered its an amazing bass. Mind, I still can't see myself with a Series 1 or Stanley Clarke model :)

[attachment=50922:Cliff.jpg]

Very lovely Clarky - Alembic seem to be able to source (consistently) some of the most outstanding timbers and the facing on yours is outrageously beautiful. Spoilers are fantastic little basses - super comfortable, great tone and the unique Alembic build philosophy/execution. Give an SC a chance - you never know (balance apart, I think they're lovely!)

[quote name='lozbass' post='852393' date='May 31 2010, 10:08 AM']Very lovely Clarky - Alembic seem to be able to source (consistently) some of the most outstanding timbers and the facing on yours is outrageously beautiful. Spoilers are fantastic little basses - super comfortable, great tone and the unique Alembic build philosophy/execution. Give an SC a chance - you never know (balance apart, I think they're lovely!)[/quote]
Thanks! I would be interested in playing a full scale Alembic as I do find it a bit strange moving from one of my Fenders to the Spoiler's 32" scale. If I play it on its own its fine, mind. Out of interest, which long-sclae Alembics have similarly simple tone arrangements to a Spoiler ?I ask as CrazyKiwi and others have mentioned that the really 'high end' Alembics have some kind of isolating block under the bridge and hi-fi electronics which mean the bass can sound - for want of a better word - a bit clinical (I want a straight ahead rock sound!)

[quote name='Clarky' post='852400' date='May 31 2010, 10:17 AM']Out of interest, which long-sclae Alembics have similarly simple tone arrangements to a Spoiler...others have mentioned that the really 'high end' Alembics have some kind of isolating block under the bridge and hi-fi electronics which mean the bass can sound - for want of a better word - a bit clinical (I want a straight ahead rock sound!)[/quote]
That's a good question and one to which I don't have a ready answer (I'll do a bit of research!) It sounds a bit weird to talk of 'high-end' Alembics (they're all stratospheric!) but I know what you mean. The sigs and up tend to have a bridge block (a big piece of brass bolted into the body into which the bridge is fitted) - the idea is that this contributes to the distinctive tone of an Alembic...I'm not at all technically knowledgeable but those versed in physics can probably provide an explanation. The electronics also undoubtedly add a lot - I don't necessarily find them clinical (though it's such a subjective term) - indeed, with all the filters and boosters open wide, they sound huge! I'm trying to be objective here too - I've never heard any other bass with such an enormous, dynamic, ringing tone - no problem at all for big, brash, clanging rock.

Edited by lozbass

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Clarky' post='852400' date='May 31 2010, 10:17 AM']Thanks! I would be interested in playing a full scale Alembic as I do find it a bit strange moving from one of my Fenders to the Spoiler's 32" scale. If I play it on its own its fine, mind. Out of interest, which long-sclae Alembics have similarly simple tone arrangements to a Spoiler ?I ask as CrazyKiwi and others have mentioned that the really 'high end' Alembics have some kind of isolating block under the bridge and hi-fi electronics which mean the bass can sound - for want of a better word - a bit clinical (I want a straight ahead rock sound!)[/quote]

Entwistle didn't sound at all clinical using his Series basses, and I can't say my Triple O (which had signature electronics) sounded clinical either. They incredibly versatile. Pete Agnew of Nazareth swears by them too.

• 1 month later...

Here is my Becvar Bass custom built by Bruce Becvar in 1979

The top and back of this instrument are cocobolo and has no finish.
It is all hand oiled wood.
[attachment=54482:DSC_0215.JPG]

The peghead has the BecVar logo and all gold hardware.
[attachment=54483:DSC_0216.JPG]

The inlay on the neck are abalone and mother of pearl
[attachment=54484:DSC_0217.JPG]

The neck inlays represent the planet signs
The neck also has green and red LED side markers that light when the bass is plugged in.
[attachment=54485:DSC_0218.JPG]

The bridge and tailpiece is Alembic
The inlay on the body is the Starwars X-wing fighter in sterling silver,abalone, and mother of pearl.
[attachment=54486:DSC_0220.JPG]

The neck is cocobolo, walnut, maple and bubinga ebony center laminate.
[attachment=54487:DSC_0221.JPG]

Electronics and Pickups are Hyak. It's output is stereo front and rear pickup. It takes 4 nine volt batteries, 2 per pickup in series, for an 18 volt system. Or can be powered via an 18 volt Alembic power supply and passed through 5 pin din connector with the audio. It's set up like Alembic series basses except the pickups are not single coil.
[attachment=54488:DSC_0222.JPG]

The bass weighs just under 13 lbs. and has an Anvil case

[quote name='lozbass' post='852681' date='May 31 2010, 03:04 PM']That's a good question and one to which I don't have a ready answer (I'll do a bit of research!) It sounds a bit weird to talk of 'high-end' Alembics (they're all stratospheric!) but I know what you mean. The sigs and up tend to have a bridge block (a big piece of brass bolted into the body into which the bridge is fitted) - the idea is that this contributes to the distinctive tone of an Alembic...I'm not at all technically knowledgeable but those versed in physics can probably provide an explanation. The electronics also undoubtedly add a lot - I don't necessarily find them clinical (though it's such a subjective term) - indeed, with all the filters and boosters open wide, they sound huge! I'm trying to be objective here too - I've never heard any other bass with such an enormous, dynamic, ringing tone - no problem at all for big, brash, clanging rock.[/quote]

Hi I'm a new member, a long time alembic owner and this is my first response. i'm an exclusively alembic bass player and have a number of their basses short scale 4 and long scale 4 and 5 string basses. The closest long scale bass that has simple controls like a spoiler is I would say the standard alembic Elan which has volume pan and low pass filter.
It is also an all maple body and neck is maple with some slim walnut laminates, so the tone has a lot of high end frequencies without losing the bottom end. Most of the more higher end Alembics have the bridge bolted to a large brass sustain block.
The idea being to keep the vibrating string vibrating for longer whilst reducing some of the higher levels of attenuation that would be experienced if the bridge was bolted directly to the body and hence improves sustain of the vibrating string.
I don't find any of their instruments sterile sounding at all. I think one of the key things about their basses is their pickups and electronics. Their pickups, unlike most other manufacturers, are low impedance and "non voiced". The are just designed to reproduce as accurately as possible the signal from the vibrating string. The pre-amp and filters allows for a very wide, useable and versatile tonal spectrum.

I wouldn't be interested in anything else.
Jazzyvee

Edited by jazzyvee

[quote name='jazzyvee' post='897809' date='Jul 18 2010, 09:34 AM']Hi I'm a new member, a long time alembic owner and this is my first response. i'm an exclusively alembic bass player and have a number of their basses short scale 4 and long scale 4 and 5 string basses. The closest long scale bass that has simple controls like a spoiler is I would say the standard alembic Elan which has volume pan and low pass filter.
It is also an all maple body and neck is maple with some slim walnut laminates, so the tone has a lot of high end frequencies without losing the bottom end. Most of the more higher end Alembics have the bridge bolted to a large brass sustain block.
The idea being to keep the vibrating string vibrating for longer whilst reducing some of the higher levels of attenuation that would be experienced if the bridge was bolted directly to the body and hence improves sustain of the vibrating string.
I don't find any of their instruments sterile sounding at all. I think one of the key things about their basses is their pickups and electronics. Their pickups, unlike most other manufacturers, are low impedance and "non voiced". The are just designed to reproduce as accurately as possible the signal from the vibrating string. The pre-amp and filters allows for a very wide, useable and versatile tonal spectrum.

I wouldn't be interested in anything else.
Jazzyvee[/quote]
Hey jazzyvee and welcome to BassChat. Funnily enough I sent you a message on the Alembic Club site yesterday, congratulating you on your new 5-string, which is the nicest Alembic 5 I have ever seen!

[quote name='lozbass' post='897898' date='Jul 18 2010, 11:32 AM']+1 - hi Jazzyvee - it's good to have you on Basschat - I've been reading your posts on the Alembic Club (with great enthusiasm and interest) for years...I'm off to look at the 5 that Clarky mentions...[/quote]

Thanks, I think the alembic forum is fantastic place and the only one I've participated in actively. I'm more a guitarist who plays a bit of bass really but a big stanley clark fan which got me into the alembic sound. I used to have a Musicman Sterling bass until I got into alembics then sold it.

Strangely since I got an alembic and at least in the past 5 years I've done mainly bass session gigs.
As for the new bass, it hasn't arrived yet but the seller tells me he is posting it tomorrow so it should be here soon. There is a small construction thread about it on the alembic site
[url="http://alembic.com/club/messages/631/57606.html?1255532495"]http://alembic.com/club/messages/631/57606.html?1255532495[/url]

Thanks again for the interest and welcome.

Jazzyvee

Clarky's old Spoiler again, A recent and remarkable entry into the Deaver household, never really had myself down as an Alembic enthusiast. I still can't quite do it justice with the camera - patio could do with a weed as well.

[attachment=54700:Alembic_003.jpg]

[attachment=54701:Alembic_004.jpg]

[attachment=54702:Alembic_015.jpg]

[attachment=54703:Alembic_034.jpg]

I've never really played anything like it, they really are something else

[quote name='lozbass' post='901776' date='Jul 22 2010, 11:57 AM']Lovely Deaver - one of the most gorgeous maple tops around![/quote]
I have subsequently discovered that Deaver/John's bass (my old one) is also quite a bit lighter than my stealth black replacement Spoiler. I weighed mine at the weekend and its 11 pounds which seems pretty heavy given its a 32" scale! Fortunately I have a 3 inch wide leather strap to take the weight off my dodgy left shoulder. The things we do to look RAWWWWKKKKK :)

[quote name='lozbass' post='897898' date='Jul 18 2010, 11:32 AM']+1 - hi Jazzyvee - it's good to have you on Basschat - I've been reading your posts on the Alembic Club (with great enthusiasm and interest) for years...I'm off to look at the 5 that Clarky mentions...[/quote]

The bass arrived at my office today so will give it a bash tonight when I get home.

[quote name='Clarky' post='901877' date='Jul 22 2010, 01:45 PM']For those wondering why I am jealous of jazzyvee, feast your eyes on this beauty:
[attachment=54789:60534.jpg]

Enjoy JV![/quote]
Here are some Photo's of my new Alembic Europa/Elan
The build Record/Spec is as follows.
-------------------------
Model Name: Europa
Model Number: ULB5
Completed: 23/01/2009
Scale Length: 34 inches
Fingerboard: Ebony
Inlays: Mother of Pearl Ovals
Machine Heads: Gold Alembic-Gotohs
Top Laminate: Flame Maple
Accent Woods: None
Body Wood: Maple
Back Laminate: None
Neck Woods: Maple & Purpleheart
Finsh: Polyester Gloss with Satin Neck Feel
Electronics: Signature - Master Volume, Pan, Filters x2, Q-Switch x2, Mono Output.

Custom Options: Side LED's in Red with on off toggle switch
Custom Black/Clear Finish
Toggle switch for on/standby
Elan in-line Neck

100% made in the USA

[attachment=54853:EuropaFive_2.jpg]
[attachment=54854:EuropaFive_3.jpg]
[attachment=54855:EuropaFive_4.jpg]
[attachment=54856:EuropaFive_5.jpg]
[attachment=54857:EuropaFive_6.jpg]
[attachment=54858:EuropaFive_7.jpg]
[attachment=54859:EuropaFive_8.jpg]
[attachment=54860:EuropaFive_9.jpg]

With it's wide tonal palette it is going to take a while to find my sound on it.
Fun fun fun.

Jazzyvee

[quote name='Clarky' post='902603' date='Jul 23 2010, 12:05 AM']You are a lucky man! That's utterly fabulous, jazzyvee. Enjoy finding your sound :)[/quote]
+1 - oh dear me! I feel euphoric and slightly nauseous at the same time...an absolutely staggering bass. I'd love to hear this one. I can see that Jazzyvee's acquisition is going to make me want another Alembic (one I don't need and can't justify). Unusual to have the standby switch - extremely useful on a 'live' bass - I think we should see more of these

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='lozbass' post='903076' date='Jul 23 2010, 12:24 PM']+1 - oh dear me! I feel euphoric and slightly nauseous at the same time...an absolutely staggering bass. I'd love to hear this one. I can see that Jazzyvee's acquisition is going to make me want another Alembic (one I don't need and can't justify). Unusual to have the standby switch - extremely useful on a 'live' bass - I think we should see more of these[/quote]

It is an incredible sounding bass. The normal body wood of alembics tend to be mahogany, but this one is all maple except for the purpleheart laminates in the neck so it is a very up front, with a very powerful bright, and with a heavy meaty tone. I'm not used to having that level of high frequencies in my sound so it is going to take a bit of time before I can find my starting sound on it in a live situation.

I agree with you on the justification angle and if I was to I focus on the price of them it is probably quite hard to justify. I think the cheapest ones are at least the price of 2 or three good quality pro basses. But I rationalise it to myself in this way. I've been a guitar player for years and years and it has taken me so long to find get a guitar that I'm completely happy with and to think what I spent on duffers to get here. So when I decided I wanted to start playing bass as well to broaden my gigging opportunities I just cut out the middle man well most of them and went straight to the source of where I thought my voice on bass would be.

I think i have made the right choice. I appreciate that many people think they are over priced and not worth the money and dated etc etc. I do think the sound is not for everyone and it does take a while to get your head and ears round the way that the alembic electronics work so that it becomes second nature, but for me Alembic is sonic ecstasy.

If I'm ever gigging down your way I'll let you know.

Jazzyvee

Edited by jazzyvee

[quote name='jazzyvee' post='903502' date='Jul 23 2010, 07:14 PM']It is an incredible sounding bass. The normal body wood of alembics tend to be mahogany, but this one is all maple except for the purpleheart laminates in the neck so it is a very up front, with a very powerful bright, and with a heavy meaty tone. I'm not used to having that level of high frequencies in my sound so it is going to take a bit of time before I can find my starting sound on it in a live situation.

I agree with you on the justification angle and if I was to I focus on the price of them it is probably quite hard to justify. I think the cheapest ones are at least the price of 2 or three good quality pro basses. But I rationalise it to myself in this way. I've been a guitar player for years and years and it has taken me so long to find get a guitar that I'm completely happy with and to think what I spent on duffers to get here. So when I decided I wanted to start playing bass as well to broaden my gigging opportunities I just cut out the middle man well most of them and went straight to the source of where I thought my voice on bass would be.

I think i have made the right choice. I appreciate that many people think they are over priced and not worth the money and dated etc etc. I do think the sound is not for everyone and it does take a while to get your head and ears round the way that the alembic electronics work so that it becomes second nature, but for me Alembic is sonic ecstasy.

If I'm ever gigging down your way I'll let you know.

Jazzyvee[/quote]
Having owned 2 it makes complete sense to me! :)

+1 complete sense to me too! I'm going to copy and paste the justification para from Jazzyvee's post and deploy it whenever necessary. I agree that the tone isn't for everybody but it's simply perfect to my ears - the core and characteristic tone is so good that even my staggeringly poor technique can't bu**er it up (completely)