Why become a member? ×

Alembic - show us your pics

marcus bell

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='489670' date='May 16 2009, 11:39 AM']Some lovely basses guys!

Daveski - was that a custom order?[/quote]

Yeah that was a custom order but when i paid for it last summer i was still getting 2 dollars to the pound so it was good value especially with all the discounts!

[quote name='daveski' post='490466' date='May 17 2009, 12:31 PM']Yeah that was a custom order but when i paid for it last summer i was still getting 2 dollars to the pound so it was good value especially with all the discounts![/quote]

I got mine in July '07 so had the 2 dollar rate good fortune.
Makes a big difference.

Edited by jakesbass

Mine was finished around April 2007 so came in at the 2:1 rate (I didn't buy it until a year ago from the original purchaser) - still bl**dy expensive though. I must find the camera and charge it. Lovely basses in this thread - there really isn't anything that quite compares with an Alembic for me (aesthetically and tonally)

[quote name='jakesbass' post='490477' date='May 17 2009, 12:43 PM']I got mine in July '07 so had the 2 dollar rate good fortune.
Makes a big difference.[/quote]

Yeah very true, if i worked out the cost now i probably wouldn't even bother!

[quote name='lozbass' post='490542' date='May 17 2009, 02:14 PM']Mine was finished around April 2007 so came in at the 2:1 rate (I didn't buy it until a year ago from the original purchaser) - still bl**dy expensive though. I must find the camera and charge it. Lovely basses in this thread - there really isn't anything that quite compares with an Alembic for me (aesthetically and tonally)[/quote]

You are right lozbass they really are something else, real quality!

[quote name='steve-soar' post='493663' date='May 20 2009, 08:12 PM']Lovely, hope you don't have maroon skirtings anymore. :)
That is a beautiful instrument, why did you get rid?[/quote]

Steve, Nah, got luverly stained skirtings now, all new like !

I got rid of the Alembic because of the electronics mainly, all the tone controls were like wah wah pedals in minature, I just found it too much. Even Mark King said it drove him nuts as well at times. Also I couldn't justify having such an expensive bass lying around. Must say I've regretted it though. I'd like a nice Cocobolo one like Daveski's next.

I actually had my Shuker 6er made with a quilted maple top because I liked the one on the Alembic so much, I sent Jon Shuker the picture of the Alembic body that I posted on this thread and asked him to make sure the top was as good as that, he didn't disapoint !

I've been promising this for a long time - so...a little late evening sun in Manchester and here we go (the sun does little for my photography skills). It's an Alembic Series II custom - built around the small standard body shape. This is just around 2 years old - I've had it for about a year. Obviously, the photographs can't do it justice - it has a few unusual options - front and side blue LEDs (lasers in the front of the board), and extra laminates in the body (its cocobolo, maple, purpleheart, maple, vermillion core, maple, purpleheart, maple, cocobolo). Strangely, it has extra LEDs in the first position (a nice touch). The guy that commissioned this is an extraordinary aesthete with fabulous taste (IMO) - a really nice guy too.

Update: a few more photographs with some close-ups for detail - thanks to all for the comments

Edited by lozbass

Forgot I had this already on Photo Bucket

Apologies for the orientation...... Video taken on a cheapy Fuji Digital Camera

[url="http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i148/BusterClayton/Vertigo/?action=view&current=gloriasolo-nailed.flv"][/url]

Edited by Marcus

[quote name='lozbass' post='494769' date='May 21 2009, 11:19 PM']Shoes? I should probably understand but I'm afraid I don't[/quote]
Imagine you are a young woman, who is obsessed with shoes, looking in the window of Jimmy Choos.
This is the mantra you would be saying, as you are being spellbound by the shoes.
Your bass has this effect on me. :)

Example, [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCF3ywukQYA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCF3ywukQYA[/url]

[quote name='lozbass' post='494651' date='May 21 2009, 08:49 PM']I've been promising this for a long time - so...a little late evening sun in Manchester and here we go (the sun does little for my photography skills). It's an Alembic Series II custom - built around the small standard body shape. This is just around 2 years old - I've had it for about a year. Obviously, the photographs can't do it justice - it has a few unusual options - front and side blue LEDs (lasers in the front of the board), and extra laminates in the body (its cocobolo, maple, purpleheart, maple, vermillion core, maple, purpleheart, maple, cocobolo). Strangely, it has extra LEDs in the first position (a nice touch). The guy that commissioned this is an extraordinary aesthete with fabulous taste (IMO) - a really nice guy too.[/quote]

Loz, I'm glad to finally see the bass, which is absolutely stunning (BTW it is the one I thought). I really do love the small standard shape; I just wish it liked me a bit more. Gorgeous!

[quote name='lozbass' post='496199' date='May 23 2009, 06:05 PM']Whooaah! Stunning - is that spalted maple (and is this bass a medium-scale)? If this is back in the US as I suspect, it's a bit of a loss for blighty[/quote]

Bookmatched Spalted maple front, rear and headstock

34 scale..... massive sound unlike my other series II's which were a bit on the thin side

[quote name='Marcus' post='496250' date='May 23 2009, 07:15 PM']Bookmatched Spalted maple front, rear and headstock

34 scale..... massive sound unlike my other series II's which were a bit on the thin side[/quote]

Howay Mark!

Was that Al Webb's bass? It used to be a goldflake all-over spray job. Very sad what happened to Al.

Loz - stunning!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='496357' date='May 23 2009, 10:01 PM']Howay Mark!

Was that Al Webb's bass? It used to be a goldflake all-over spray job. Very sad what happened to Al.

Loz - stunning![/quote]

Nick.... it's Ha'Way man ya southern Jessie :)

Aye it was Al's god bless him.....

I had to retire the instrument cos it weighed a friggin ton and I was gigging regularly back then..... It was well over a stone !!

Edited by Marcus