Why become a member? ×

Clip on tuners

Bilbo

1 hour ago, casapete said:

I’ve used a Snark clip on tuner for years with no problems, and without one comment ever from band or audience member. As mentioned above I have it fitted so that it’s hidden behind the headstock of my Fender.  My reasons for using it are these -

1. Unlike a pedal tuner, I don’t need two leads to use it onstage with my band.

2. Unlike a pedal tuner, it doesn’t potentially degrade my signal to my amp.

3. Unlike a pedal tuner, I can tune anywhere onstage, (or even off) with no need to use a lead.

4. It was £10 and I’m a skinflint. 😄

No snarky comments about your tuner  from other musicians then?

• Haha 1

I have a rack tuner and a pedal tuner (because I don't always bring my rack), and when I can't or don't want to bring either one i love to use a clip-on. I have several laying around: the tiny D'Addario (really stealthy, and accurate), a very similar Planet Waves (that drains batteries like there's no tomorrow) and my favourite: two fantastic TC Unitunes. I just leave them in the gigbags and cases I use most, so I never miss. 

I agree they can look silly , but that doesn't bother me at all. 

I just wish the clip would open far and wide enough to fit on my headless Status basses as well! But then again, they're called headstock tuners for a reason I guess xD

13 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

I feel your pain seeing them stuck out on the edge of the headstock, I go 'stealth' and attach mine the other way around so all you see is the clip on the headstock and all the gubbins are on the reverse side. I pull the fascia up 45 degrees, tune and then flick it back down so it lies parallel to the back of the headstock.

This. And to the untrained eye of an audience member, the visible part of the clip could easily be mistaken for another tuning peg.

1 minute ago, Bilbo said:

I actually have a rack mounted tuner but, because I have an AI Clarus that is tiny, the rackmounted thing is unbalanced and looks peculiar. I may just start  using my ears like we used to in the olden days.

I remember pre tuner days well! Still got my first one too, a Korg GT6 bought by an ex girlfriend for me as a Christmas present c1979. Still works fine, and can be used in-line too. Big dial and meter, groovy!

I only use a clip on tuner if I'm too lazy to use my pedal. I prefer a pedal as it can double up as a mute pedal.

I don't like, or rate, clip on tuners to be honest. I don't find them accurate and they look naff. 

Edited by Marvin

I have the almost cheapest one from Thomann and am generally happy with it. I don't expect miracles, and prefer to tune with harmonics.  But I agree it's a bad idea to leave it on all the time, and would take it off if playing live.

I like the clipless version of the NS micro tuner, it mounts on one of the tuner screws on the back of the headstock. It's attached all the time, no separate items to misplace on dark stages, and I like the convenience of that. It wouldn't be good for someone with a few different basses in rotation, but I have one electric bass that comes out to gigs so it's perfect for me.