Why become a member? ×

Clip on tuners

Bilbo

I often shut my eyes when listening to music. These visual artifacts don't bother me in the slightest. Nor do music stands, headstock shapes, colours or logos, dress code of the musicians ... The list is long. :|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2

I’ve used one for the last couple of years. I don’t use any pedals so it makes set up and managing floor space a lot simpler. I do like to take it off once I’ve tuned up because I think they look a bit ugly. But, sometimes I forget, and d’yer know what? No one, in the band or audience, has noticed or said a word. And the gig fee had been exactly as expected. What Philistines.🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

Is it just me that hates them? Not the artefact per se, just the way they look when left on the instrument headstock when thee instrument is being played. Icky. 

What I see professionals doing (ie not me), is clip it onto the back of the headstock and then the audience can't see it.

I feel your pain seeing them stuck out on the edge of the headstock, I go 'stealth' and attach mine the other way around so all you see is the clip on the headstock and all the gubbins are on the reverse side. I pull the fascia up 45 degrees, tune and then flick it back down so it lies parallel to the back of the headstock.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gjones said:

What I see professionals doing (ie not me), is clip it onto the back of the headstock and then the audience can't see it.

Yep, then the only bit visible to the audience is the clip part, which often is smaller than the logo of the manufacturer.

1 hour ago, jezzaboy said:

I`m right with you Bilbo. The worst offenders are guys with a vintage P bass and they stick that ugly lump of plastic on the end and it totally ruins the look of the bass.

I agree, this old guy has it stuck on the headstock (in the background) and who's ever heard of him.......?

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Haha 2

The D'Addario mini one  

https://www.daddario.com/products/accessories/tuners/micro-headstock-tuner/

sits nicely on the back of the headstock below the E tuner... easy to see for the player.

It's a bit fussy about reading low E - needs a harmonic ping.

PXL_20201223 s.jpg

Edited by Bigguy2017
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thunderbird said:

I've tried a few but didn't find them very accurate plus I don't like clamping system on most of the ones I tried always thought they would mark the headstock 

Maybe they are better now but I'm sticking with my trusty pedal tuner 

Did you try the Peterson StroboClip HD ? It's dead accurate, even better than some rack tuners like the legendary Korg.

Or the TC Electronic PolyTune Clip.

These are the two best clip on tuners : forget all the others.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hellzero said:

Did you try the Peterson StroboClip HD ? It's dead accurate, even better than some rack tuners like the legendary Korg.

Didn't try the peterson I tried my mates polytune but it just didn't wow me 

34 minutes ago, Bigguy2017 said:

The D'Addario mini one  

https://www.daddario.com/products/accessories/tuners/micro-headstock-tuner/

sits nicely on the back of the headstock below the E tuner... easy to see for the player.

It's a bit fussy about reading low E - needs a harmonic ping.

PXL_20201223 s.jpg

I have several of these and they work well and stay almost invisible to the audience when placed as in the photo. I use them on EB, EUB, DB, guitar, banjo and mandolin and have never had a problem at home or playing gigs. For EUB and DB I mount them on the bridge, secure and easy to see.

I find the large clip ons very distracting when I'm watching someone playing, my eyes just seem to be attracted to them, even more so when they are on banjos and mandolins. 

Edited by Staggering on

40 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Agree, TC Polytune Clip is excellent, the only clip on tuner I’ve been able to use live without any problems. All the others had problems with the E in a live environment, and with background music, not the TC.

I don't give a rat's derrière what anyone in the audience thinks. I play solely original music in 3 bands. We play because we like each other's company and the music is fun for us. If any members of the public like it too,that's a bonus. At our age,(over 50) life's too short to worry about if the audience can see my tuner......

3 hours ago, bazzbass said:

I don't give a rat's derrière what anyone in the audience thinks. I play solely original music in 3 bands. We play because we like each other's company and the music is fun for us. If any members of the public like it too,that's a bonus. At our age,(over 50) life's too short to worry about if the audience can see my tuner......

They all let themselves go eventually. 🤣

I’ve used a Snark clip on tuner for years with no problems, and without one comment ever from band or audience member. As mentioned above I have it fitted so that it’s hidden behind the headstock of my Fender.  My reasons for using it are these -

1. Unlike a pedal tuner, I don’t need two leads to use it onstage with my band.

2. Unlike a pedal tuner, it doesn’t potentially degrade my signal to my amp.

3. Unlike a pedal tuner, I can tune anywhere onstage, (or even off) with no need to use a lead.

4. It was £10 and I’m a skinflint. 😄

Edited by casapete
  • Haha 3