Why become a member? ×

EBS Stanley Clarke Acoustic Preamp

Al Krow

That looks superb. Seems to have the same functionality as the Radial Tonebone Pz Pre (my pre of choice) but the TB only has 1 eq strip for both channels whereas this has 1 for each. Very cool indeed. Pricing looks similar too and both EBS and Radial know how to build a quality product.

Edited by mr zed

2 minutes ago, mr zed said:

That looks superb. Seems to have the same functionality as the Radial Tonebone Pz Pre (my pre of choice) but the TB only has 1 eq strip for both channels whereas this has 1 for each. Very cool indeed.

I guess particularly neat if you're wanting to quickly and easily swap between EUB and electric bass mid set.

Just now, Al Krow said:

I guess particularly neat if you're wanting to quickly and easily swap between EUB and electric bass mid set.

Exactly. With the Tonebone you have to find a compromise so that both DB & EB sound good via the eq. This solves that.

24 minutes ago, mr zed said:

Exactly. With the Tonebone you have to find a compromise so that both DB & EB sound good via the eq. This solves that.

Hmmm...that ability alone does make this a very attractive option, and EBS have a great rep for their preamps.

Wow - this looks fab. Especially if you arco occasionally, or need a boost for that solo spot. Or of course are doubling on electric. I wish I knew this was coming when I spent on my Tonebone Bigshot and various pedal preamps/eqs.  

Love the fact that it has variable HPF - that would be great in itself, but as an alternative it offers a variable frequency notch filter to deal with specific frequency resonance: you don't get to see that on your average EQ pedal. These are available on both channels - so you could have classic HPF on Channel A and notch filter on Channel B (or vice versa). And all that is in addition to semi-para mids. Very very neat!

Parallel loop for the rest of your pedal board if you're using, and then it seems to me to offer two separate outputs - one to go into your amp plus an additional DI out (with speaker sim) to simultaneously(?) run straight to the PA.

Oh and the inputs can be blended A+B as well as being alternative A OR B.

And it's all analogue which should virtually eliminate both latency and any potential comb filtering that you could encounter with digital pedals when combining two channels.

For good measure it doubles up as a headphone amp.

Running out of reasons not to get one of these as and when I start gigging my EUB alongside my electric!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, bassace said:

And it has phase reverse. It has everything.

Although I've heard it mentioned, I've not really used that particular wizzardy - talk me through where / what you would be using that for?

11 hours ago, Dood said:

I've already put my name down to get one for a video review in Guitar Interactive - It should be over soonish.

Will you be reviewing it with a double bass and/or EUB as well as a standard electric fretless bass with piezzo pups? That would be very useful.

40 minutes ago, bassace said:

And it has phase reverse. It has everything.

Yes.....it does. It is also 9v which helps. The Radial Tonebone pz-pre is 15v. The EBS will power up on the board easier. The pz-pre is absolutely awesome, great sound quality and great build. For me it’s the best acoustic pre amp out there - until now!

41 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

...what you would be using that for? ...

There are occasions, notably with amplified acoustic instruments, where the sound from the instrument and the sound from the amplification combine, usually at specific frequencies, to start feeding back, or sounding 'boomy' or 'ringing'. Phase reversal can help there, as a phase-reversed amp sound tends to cancel out the acoustic sound, so bringing clarity. Much depends on the stage, venue, proximity of the amp, so it can't be a permanent, 'built-in' thing; it's used by listening to see what sounds best in any one situation. If there's such an issue, phase reversal can be very useful indeed. If there are never such issues, it won't fix what doesn't need fixing.
Hope this helps. B|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Been pointed out to me that I can use the two inputs "separately" on my Helix HX Effects and set up dedicated EQ patches for EUB and bass, so it looks like I haven't dealt with all my excuses for shelling out £300 on one of these just yet...

...which is all good advice if I didn't subsequently go and sell my HX Effects, lol. Roll on the Hotone Ampero2 Stomp in May / June...

Edited by Al Krow

• 2 months later...

FYI, I've just ordered an EBS Microbass 3, which is the electric bass equivalent of the Stanley Clark acoustic one.

I didn't try it out first, so it's on the strength of YT reviews; I've been dissatisfied with my setup for a while and when on reviewer said it can be thought of as an effects "hub" it hit the spot.

One thing I would've liked, is an extra output in addition to the FX loop, so I could daisy-chain a 2nd board, but that's probably a step too far anyway (though using one of the DI outputs with an unbalanced converter would do it).

If it goes to plan, it's going to elbow my SansAmps off my pedalboards.

15 minutes ago, prowla said:

FYI, I've just ordered an EBS Microbass 3, which is the electric bass equivalent of the Stanley Clark acoustic one.

I wouldn't describe the Microbass 3 as just for electric bass: the option for 10 Mohms input impedance and the notch filter are acoustic features.  The Stanley Clarke does have the HPFs though, but no tuner!  They both have good features.  As a doubler, I have the MicroBass 3 and am not going to swap it for the Stanley Clarke.

4 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

I wouldn't describe the Microbass 3 as just for electric bass: the option for 10 Mohms input impedance and the notch filter are acoustic features.  The Stanley Clarke does have the HPFs though, but no tuner!  They both have good features.  As a doubler, I have the MicroBass 3 and am not going to swap it for the Stanley Clarke.

It's more about where they've targeted the product, of course.

The Microbass does have a distortion channel, rather than identical A & B. (Though actually, that might've been good too!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prowla said:

I would’ve liked two channels for my Rics, but I think I’ll survive!

It looks as if it has two channels.  But only one output.  I was thinking of my stereo basses too!

Maybe it would be interesting using with my stereo basses to a one amp situation.

I'm pretty sure it costs quite a bit!

Edited by stereoplayer

7 hours ago, stereoplayer said:

It looks as if it has two channels.  But only one output.  I was thinking of my stereo basses too!

Maybe it would be interesting using with my stereo basses to a one amp situation.

I'm pretty sure it costs quite a bit!

Both the Stanley Clarke and the Microbass 3 have 2 channels.

The 2 channels on the Microbass are different: one is pure and one is distortion, though there is a switch to make them series or parallel.

You can wire the FX loop as stereo and then the XLR outputs become left and right.

It's going to be "interesting" figuring out how to use it.

• Thanks 1